SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alamo5000

A Few More Tomato Questions

alamo5000
15 years ago

I have recently transplanted my tomatos into small pots from their pete pellets... 95% of them are all doing great.

I set them outside all day long to let them get direct sun. By the way, this whole week our weather is ranging from 72 degrees up to 81 degrees...

Some of my seedlings though (even before I transplanted them) are all at various stages. Azoychka, Sugar Snacks, and a few others are really healthy. Others like Virginia Sweets are up but seem to not be doing nearly as well (not sickly looking really, but a lot slower it seems).

So far in my repotting I have only had two seedlings die out of around 80-90 pots. Again, some are small or sickly looking (depending on variety) and others are much more vigorous.

I would say some of them are 'stunted' but then again they were sitting right in a jiffy mini greenhouse right next to the others...when one row was up, those were barely poking their heads up. It was very prevalent and right along with their variety.(any comments on this though will be appreciated)

Question #1. How big should my plants be before I cull them down to 1 plant per pot? And if I wait, will this (or not doing this) slow down their overall growth?

Question #2. I saw some root stimulator hormone stuff in the store the other day. If I mix some of that up and water my plants with it, what will happen?

Question #3. Can you get cuttings off of a tomato plant and use that hormone stuff to make it grow more roots? Or is that stuff used more for trees and the like?

Comments (3)