SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoppithaven

refining list - a few more questions

hoppithaven
16 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your advice a couple of weeks ago! All of your kind suggestions gave me so much to think about! I have made several changes in my plans, including planning a hoop-house instead of a coldframe, so thank you for suggesting it!

I hope IÂm not out of line asking a few more questions. I am still refining my tomato list, and would appreciate any suggestions. I starred the main questions, but welcome comments on any of the selections. I can fit 8 tomato plants, but hoping to add more using earthboxes or something similar. My goal is 2-3 cherries, 5-6 slicers in different colors.

Updated List

KellogÂs Breakfast

Big Rainbow

Black Cherry

Big Beef

SunGold (or Sun Sugar)

Jetstar (but maybe Supersonic)

Aunt RubyÂs German Green

Cherokee Purple or Black Pear

An early  maybe Kimberly.

*Aunt RubyÂs German Green

IÂm not sure whether this will do well here  debating between this or adding another cherry instead  either a red or Dr. Carolyn.

*Cherokee Purple OR Black Pear

There seem to be mixed reports of CP here -- may be difficult, but worth a try? One site says that even though CP is the best tomato theyÂve tried, Black Pear is similar in taste, more reliable and productive, and good for short season climates.

Has anyone compared these? What are your thoughts?

Here is the source if interested: http://www.tastefulgarden.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=32

*An early -- leaning toward Kimberly, what do you think?

Instead of narrowing my choices for earlies, the list just gets longer: Kimberly and Stupice are both 52 days and supposed to do well in cold climates. SophieÂs Choice 55 days, apparently an heirloom from Canada that does well in cold, but not heat. (It gets into the 90s here in July/Aug.). Early Girl has been suggested, is also 52 days, supposedly good in any climate.

GregoriÂs Altai is listed as an early at Tomato GrowerÂs Supply and sounds like a good beefsteak option, but not as short (67 days, but another site says 75 days) and I havenÂt seen info re itÂs cold tolerance.

A couple of other questions:

*Medina/Matina -- The local cooperative extension says Medina does well here. Could that be a misprint or simply the same as Matina? I havenÂt found Medina anywhere. (The extension site actually says the tomatoÂs that do best here are: Big Beef, Celebrity, Early Girl and Medina.)

*Is it totally foolish to plant 1 each of 8 different plants?

There are of course a bunch of others IÂd like to try, especially:

Dr. Carolyn

A red cherry  maybe Riesentraube?

Aunt GertieÂs Gold

Neves Azorean Red

Stump of the World

Paul Robeson

Brandy Boy

Matina,

Caspian Pink

Mr. Stripey

Brandy Boy (based on advice here, I think IÂll wait on Brandywines and Brandy Boy)

*Do you think any of these (or others) would be better to grow here than the ones on my list?

Thanks again for your help!

hoppity

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Pear tomato

Comments (2)