SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talcottparsons

I am diving into the Hydrangea world! But I need your advice...

talcottparsons
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm about to enter the wonderful world of Hydrangeas, but the plant I was planning on (Bailmer from Endless Summer) didn't impress many of you (judging by your postings from a couple years ago). I have a spot in our front yard that gets full sun all day, and is mostly protected from aggressive winds (I don't know if that's important for Hyd. but it is important for some of my plants so I thought I'd mention it).

I've read a great deal about Hydrangeas, soil requirements and ph levels for health and desired color, etc, but I would like your suggestions about what plant I should buy. So, I would love a blue flowering Hyd. (I'll take care of the additives for the soil), but what I absolutely want is one that:

- Blooms reliably, meaning lots of flowers for as many months as possible. I was attracted to the Bailmer's claim of "all Summer into Fall"

- Is at least 3 feet tall and wide. But not taller than 8 feet, if that's even possible.

- I like the globular shaped clusters, rather than the type that seem to have a flatter cluster.

So, what do you think? Which should my first Hydrangea be??

I appreciate your expertise and knowledge on the subject!

Joseph

Comments (5)