SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natsu_gw

Disease resistant Hydrangea and size Questions

Natsu
12 years ago

Need some help I am trying to grow a hydrangea garden with just rebloomers, disease resistant and new cultivars. There seems to be a great deal of misinformation on the web as to what finished plant sizes are, also the level of disease resistance and sun tolerance.

I have a few macs just randomly picked up when this garden project started. Now I am finding out all kinds of issues that are possible with a few plants. I know that a plant should be fine as long as disease conditions are not available. Just want the added protection of disease resistance so one sick plant won't ruin the whole investment.

So far I have Pia, Endless Summer original, Blushing Bride, Glowing Embers, All Summer Beauty, F&E Together, Limelight, Vanilla Strawberry, Pinky Winky and Bombshell. Not a lot but it's a start...

I thought I had each plant well researched until I came across this website. rslandscapedesign.blogspot.com (under hydrangea)

On the website they list All Summer Beauty as Mildew prone. I did some research and found the mildew issue with asb was true. Is this guy right about everything else?

The site lists Pia as mildew and bug prone with a mature size of maximum 4'x4' maybe. I have this plant towards the front of a three foot space.

Glowing Embers has a mature height of 4'x6' feet to eventually 6'x6'feet. Hydrangeas plus and Wilkerson mills quote a mature height of 4'x4' feet and maybe full sun. I also found that this plant has some mildew resistance is this true? If hydrangeas plus is correct, this maybe full sun plant. I am in western PA macs can grow in full sun here; have it planted in a 5 foot deep bed foundation planting. Should I move this plant to a full sun location?

During my research companies list mature size for blushing bride and ES are anywhere between 4'x4' to 6'x6' feet is this true?

Can ES & BB tolerate full sun? Nursery suggests water crystals, peat hummus for extra moisture with clay soil for full sun plants.

Trying to do this garden right one time it was a lot of sweat preparing the hydrangea beds. Now it looks as if I have the wrong plants in the wrong places. Really don't want to do any size pruning years later. Just want the plants to take a natural rounded form.

I have replacement plants picked out just need to know if I am doing the right thing by moving them?

Pias replacement will be City line Paris does Paris repeat bloom?

All Summer Beauty & Glowing Embers replacement, Mini Penny or David Ramsey genetically identical to ES not sure if that is true for mildew resistance. Glowing Embers full sun spot is this possible?

Adding this year Hydrangea macrophylla Snow Storm aka White King Mildew resistant sun scorch resistant rebloomer.

Little lime will replace a limelight that will take up too much space in the future.

Is there a list of disease resistant cultivars, the ones listed in this thread are all I have come across. Does anyone know of any others?

Comments (19)