SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Two fragrant orders arrive

User
10 years ago

Got them yesterday, from Savory and from Wade Gatton. There is one more coming from Savory, their new fragrant, Dan Patch.

The order from Wade Gatton was only the ones already in containers this time, the next one (shipping Monday I believe) will be the ones to be dug from the ground. And the more expensive ones, I'm holding that order until near Van Wade's last digging/shipping date, which is first week of October.

Then there is another fragrant order from Avalon Acres. And one from Bob Solberg.

Thanks to Don Rawson for updating the fragrant-flowered hosta list. I used it and the 2013 Hosta Finder to locate the places which carry the fragrant hosta, and make my choices.

This order from Savory's consisted of all fragrants:
Mistress Mabel, Morning Angel, Olga's Shiny Leaf, Prairie Angel, and the delayed newly registered Dan Patch.

From Wade Gatton came Cheatin Heart (not fragrant, only one) plus these fragrant hosta: Hot Green Chilies, Iron Gate Bouquet, Joanne Johnson, Prairieland Memories, Royal Accolade, Savannah, Savannah Emerald, Savannah Supreme, Sweet Winifred, and the gift hosta, my 2nd Sweet Susan.

For the evening they are now all potted up and sitting in the shade with my collection of blue hosta. I taped some of the taller petioles with blue masking tape, until they adjusted to the new life here in south Alabama.

In preparation for the new arrivals over the weeks of May, I bought 4 more huge bags of the MiracleGro potting mix, NO MOISTURE ADDITIVE. And I used about 2 of them. Almost.

I listed the tags pulled from departed not-to-be-replaced hosta: Chartreuse Wiggles, Crepe Suzette, Itty Bitty, Kinbotan, Lakeside Small Fry, Little White Lines, Popo, and Stitch In Time. I replaced my virus losses Fried Bananas and Fried Green Tomatos last week and they are busy unfurling from huge tall eyes.

All in all, I am a happy camper today. I cannot believe how absolutely lovely my garden is at this moment. Last year the hosta arrived in spurts and were in various stages of development as the months went by, new ones requiring some TLC, me learning how to cope. Now, this year, I am seeing them spring fully to life for a whole growing season, and they are really something special. .

Comments (5)