SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
opuntiagrower

Repeated Squash Hybridization. What happens?

Opuntiagrower
10 years ago

Hi all,

I had a question regarding hybridization of squash cultivars and the phenotypic results that you think would happen.

If you have looked at websites such as baker creek and seedsavers exchange, you have probably seen the many different varieties of heirloom squash they have.

My question is: What would happen if I bought 10 different cultivars of C. maxima, and the first year I crossed 2 of the cultivars, then crossed the resulting hybrid with the third cultivar, then crossed that hybrid with the fourth cultivar all the way to 10. Basically, every year adding a new set of cultivar genes to the gene pool of the "hybrid". Would this be good? I have heard of cases where prolonged outbreeding is actually bad. Can anyone shed some light on what they think might happen?

As an example: Let's say I wanted a squash that looked like the Triamble Squash and I crossed it with an Atlantic Giant. I am assuming the squash would look like a medium to large sized shamrock shaped pumpkin, or something close to that.

What if I then crossed that hybrid with other round pumpkins including Blue Hubbard, Pink Banana, etc. and added a new cultivar each year?

Would the Triamble Squash genes still be present but be buried under other genes so that they would no longer express themselves and the squash would no longer exhibit a phenotypic large shamrock shape ? In that case, it would probably be pointless to cross too many times, right?

Attempt to summarize: Bascially, what happens if you save seeds from a hybrid cross, and each year you cross that hybrid with another cultivar, kind of like a 10 cross hybrid over a period of years. I imagine the result would be extremely unstable, but I wonder if the phenotypes of the very first crosses would no longer show up due to being "buried" under genes from newer, more recent crosses.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH