SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

Taking Good Hoya Photos

kellyknits
16 years ago

Okay- there are obviously some amazing amateur photographers on this site...in fact some of the photo's make me question my use of "amateur". Any one care to share any tips especially for macro photography...or is it just a matter of me actually READING my camera manual (which would also require locating it...)- ugh?

Took some photo's of the itty, bitty peduncle/buds (are peduncle and buds the same thing?) on my newly acquired h. davidcummingii (Woooo Hooooo)and I'm embarrassed to post them after seeing the photo albums here! My macro photography skills suck!

My camera is a Canon Powershot A85 4.0 Megapixels. It's several years old.

Eddie, if you're not selling your photo's you should! If I weren't spending all of the money I don't have on hoya plants I would buy them!

By the way for those thinking about attending the Asiatica open house (whenever it is), I may be going as well. I'm less than 2 hours away, in fact it's only about an hour from my parent's house and after receiving my order from them today, I SO want to go!

Kelly

Comments (54)

• shanna5
    16 years ago

I guess I should get my manual out too. I have a kodak easyshare 6.0 Megapixels. I also just try to switch around on my settings and try to find one I like or a different angle with the sun or turning on or off a lamp or celing light. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think it would be much easier if I could just read my manual and know which setting to use for what. I seem to have a tendcy to blame it on the camera but I definately am starting to think it's operator error. :-)
    shanna

• nanw_4wi
    16 years ago

I have to agree with Denise (and her photos have always been great!)

I don't own one yet (and I take terrible photos) but it seems that the majority of the people who take great plant photos, when asked HOW, always state that they use a tripod.

I need one!

• Related Discussions

Taking Photos tips and viewing photos

Q

Comments (16)
    Ok I will do some before after shots. I remind you , I love to push photography . It is another obsession I have besides gardening. I will work the details. But I am still learning my camera also. I hate to RTFM. TRoth garden taken in failing light at sunset After I addressed darkness, lightened the shadows, and burned the highlights, and the addressed the overall blue tones by adding yellow. A cactus group shot that had a beautiful beam of light. I like light and I am always photographing it and it is always making me tear my hair out. This one I found flat compared to what I saw. After punching lighter the exposure all over and darkening the exposure values , I elevated the definition to accentuate the contrast in the textures. de blued it and de-greened it I think. I did take liberties with this next picture of the Kalanchoe Luciae be cause I wanted the viewer to be surrounded and swallowed by the plant. I am not always driven by reality. Usually I am, but sometimes I gotta do a "Georgia". I felt that this one was washed out from how I felt it was. This one I did go a little overboard on it. So Sue me. Here is another one from the K. luciae series. The differences are sometimes not that starling, but subtle , but the overall will be worth it. Notice the highlights have an indistinct texture and I just want to make things better even though the picture is fairly alright. I just like to fiddle. Things just seem a little fuzzy. I feel air and I don't like it. I popped the exposure lighter then darkened the exposure value, burned the highlights. I want that rich sense of space amongst the leaves and the red to pop and show the light coming through them. I wanted the texture on the leaves. I am a little distressed with the out of focus on the back highlighted leaf. The highlight is still reading as blown.. I should have gotten my tripod out so I could cut the F stop down but then the sun would have been gone. I got the fuzzy out of there . the air is clear. I can breathe now . OH god, now you know I am obsessed. You know what is weird. I can do this for peoples portfolios and I do for some artist around all over. They send me full sized files and I see if I can work them.
    ...See More

Good Hoya links

Q

Comments (3)
    Oh My G_d Naz, you're not kidding! I only started reading it, didn't even look at the pix yet, had to bookmark it for later. At a fleeting glance of a read, it looks like it should be called "Tales/Confessions of a Hoya Addict". Am excited at the prospect of seeing her plants & pix. Thanks for posting this for us to drool over & learn from!
    ...See More

How long does it take hoya to flower?

Q

Comments (4)
    That's a tough one... I've had rooted cuttings flower within 6 months, and I've had large plants that took 8 years to flower. I have some that have NEVER flowered for me. I think a lot of factors affect flowering, from climate, amount of sun & day length, fertlizer, species, humidity... You would probably have lots of success with them in Vietnam as I understand it's warm and humid there. Denise in OMaha
    ...See More

My Hoya Fungii Finally Came !!!! Please take a look. (PICS!!!!!!)

Q

Comments (10)
    hmmmm, why would you use a cactus fertilizer? I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. I would think hoyas, and most other plants would benefit from a higher nitrogen number.....I thought there was a reason it was lower for cacti and succulents....but I cant remember what it is. I would liketo hear what others say about this fertilizer, I have it to, and if it will benefit my hoyas more than say a regular 10-10-10, or a bloom booster 10-54-10, I would love to know! Tracy
    ...See More
  • gabro14
    16 years ago

I usually take a bunch of photos too and then delete all but the one that came out the best.

For some strange reason, my camera doesn't really auto-focus anymore. I can't figure it out! It's a Sony Cybershot 6.0 megapixels, and it used to autofocus when I pushed the button down gently (right before taking the pic). That is the only reason I ever got good close-ups! Now I can't get in-focus close-ups anymore! Anyone know anything about digital cameras and autofocus??? EDDIEEEEEEEE!

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi, as I was taking pic's of my new hoyas yesterday I did notice that when I chose the "Close Up" (Use for subjects closer than 28 inches.) The pictures came out better for the detailed stuff like jut a pic of a specific leaf or whatever, than just the auto feature. I just noticed I have a flower feature for close up photos of flowers in bright light, maybe I should try that.
    shanna

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A tripod....good thinking, Denise! I can't hold my camera steady for tight shots anymore either! I even have a little adjustable tripod somewhere...probably with the darn camera manual!

My auto-focus wants to focus on everything except what I want it to focus on. Did find when I switched from "foliage" to "indoor" I ended up getting much clearer shots...not sure about the logic there...

BTW- thank you, Ines, for pointing out what should have been the obvious which was Gabi is most definitely included in the "great photo's" category! I'd drop names, but fear I would forget someone.

• hills
    16 years ago

Hmmm, now you guys are making me wonder whether I should add "tripod" to my Christmas list - I'd love to get one of those Gorilla tripods!
    The more professional photographers always seem to have a background for their flowers - I think a black sheet would work well. I was going to test it out with my gorgeous flowering retusa but unfortunately it's a bit over now - ran out of time and energy!
    Autofocus - Gabi, I have three suggestions for you, hopefully helpful. 1) My cameraphone will only autofocus when it's on a specific size setting, i.e. 1 megapixel. Never seen this on a camera but you never know. 2) Sounds stupid, but are you gently pressing the shutter down to get autofocus? I have a tendency to just press it before it focuses itself. 3) Are you using the right mode or have you switched it to manual? My digital camera will only focus in automatic mode.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I have two tripods, one that my brother bought me the year I got my camera, and one that is an old and very well made that says "Made in Germany" and I have no idea whatsoever where I got it. I have never used either one.

Do any of the good photographers here use a tripod? I am not arguing the fact that they help take better pictures, just wondering who uses them. Eddie took some great shots the day we went to Meadowbrook and he wasn't using a tripod, at least not that I noticed...

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to start using my tripod! Don't know why I hadn't thought about for the hoya's. The last time I used the tripod was taking portraits of my dog several years ago which by the way the photo took 3rd place in the Humane Society of the U.S. Best Friend's Photo Contest!

Tripods are definitely a good investment! Thanks for bringing it up, Denise!

Kelly

• Denise
    16 years ago

I don't ever NOT use a tripod. And Hills mentioned backdrops - I went out and bought two large posterboards, one white and one black. For my small plants, I just set them on top of the board (which one depends on colors I'm trying to bring out) and shoot from pretty much straight above, which you can do by leaning the tripod against the table. If it's a hanging plant or larger plant, I put the board behind the plant (or have my hubby hold it if it's a hanging plant...) The nice thing about a board is there are no distractions like wrinkles or waves in fabric.

Denise in Omaha

• gabro14
    16 years ago

So....I have a habit of buying myself a present for Christmas every year. I really wanted a new camera (one of those digital cameras that look like the old school 35mm cameras). I got one today, and the macro/close-up abilities are OUTSTANDING!

I ended up buying another Sony Cybershot because I am in love with my current Sony Cybershot (which is still a great camera and costs even more than the new one I just bought!!). So I had a Sony Cybershot 6.0 megapixels with 3X optical zoom, and upgraded to a Sony Cybershot 8.1 megapixels with 10X optical zoom! Both have Carl Zeiss lenses, which is supposedly one of the best.

And no need for a tripod with this new one - it has what they call "super steadyshot"! I highly recommend this camera for anyone that needs ideas for their X-mas list. I'm not sure whether I'm gonna keep the other one or not - it's practically new and it's sleeker, but I can probably sell it on Ebay for over 100 dollars. I mean, what's the point in having 2 cameras?

Anyway - I thought I'd let out my excitement on this "hoya photo" post. Wish I had some current blooms to use my new camera on!

Gabi

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the camera tip! Will be checking out the Sony Cyber Shot 8.1!

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Ok...I just took a couple of pics of my jade buds with my new camera (in the pitch black - it's still outside on my balcony). Let me know what you think!

{{gwi:717958}}

{{gwi:717961}}

• nova12
    16 years ago

Very very nice shots, what kind of cam did you get.....I am in the market too and i want something to take close ups like that. Did it take you long to get that shot, or was it one of the first?? Good Job!!

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Nova,
    Yes, those were the only 2 shots I took! I usually have to take a bunch of pics before I find one I like or one that is in focus...this is a dream come true!!
    The camera I got is written in my post before the pics post. But here it is specifically - Sony Cybershot DSC-H3. It is 8.1 megapixels and 10X optical zoom.

Gabi

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great investment, Gabi! Read the description for the camera and if it does all it says then it's a steal at the prices I'm seeing!

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Great pics gabi-
    I didn't know Jade plants bloom. I recently got a cuttting from my husbands grandma. Hope to see it bloom in the future. Are there any tricks to getting it to bloom?
    shanna

• ines_99
    16 years ago

WOW!! I've never seen a jade in bloom...looks like its going to be orange or pinkish? Also looks like it was in high light. What have you done with it to get flowers?

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Gabi,
    Good job! photos and the jade buds!!!!
    Jan

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Thanks all :)

Kelly, it's definitely a steal!

Shanna, I didn't know they bloomed either - until I read a post on it last year. The trick is to put the jade outside in the Spring, and then leave it out there until it turns to freezing (or just below freezing). Once you bring it back inside, it should bloom. We'll see!! I'll post pics when/if it blooms.

Jen, the blooms are supposed to be white (I'm pretty sure). My jade never had that kind of coloring until I put it outside (for the first time) this Spring. It also has been growing more compact since I put it outside.

Here is a pic of my jade (with my "old" camera...hehe) before I put it outside (in March):
    {{gwi:994805}}

And here's a pic I just took of it (outside in the dark):

On a side note, this is a pic I took today...it's a close-up of a Hoya fungii leaf - I never noticed those fine hairs until I saw it in the picture!
    {{gwi:994807}}

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now you're just showing off with that last picutre! (LOL- as I would be had I just purchased that camera!) Amazing photo! It made me go feel my fungi leaves and sure enough they are fuzzy despite being shiny!

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Every year, around the colder months, my jade plant gets filled with little pinkish/white blooms all over it. And the only way I have been able to get them to bloom is have them outdoors for as long as you possibly can with lots of good light. Here are my crassula ovata blooms from previous years:

Gabi,
    Your jade plant looks much nicer than when I saw it earlier this year in person. And congrats on the camera. Santa must have put you on the "nice" list this year. Maybe that's why Barry gave you a free plant. You'll have to let me play with the new toy when I see you soon.

Eddie

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Now I'm jealous - you have the best camera ever, Eddie! Ok Ok, it might be your photography skills too :)

I love those jade blooms - I had no clue they were pinkish. Yes, you'll have to come play with my camera soon and teach me some tricks (you know, after I teach YOU some tricks on Guitar Hero...hehe).

I don't know if I was on the "nice" list this year, but I sure was on the "impulsive need to get a camera NOW list".

• ima_digger
    16 years ago

Gabi,
    Great pictures. It looks like I'm gonna ask Santa for a new camera. Yours certainly takes beautiful pictures.
    The pic of fungii leaf is amazing. I have to go look at my cutting and see if I can see hairs.

• Mentha
    16 years ago

Good shots Gabi! I love the dimples in the jade's leaves. and Eddie, I must know what your camera is also. I'll be looking for another camera soon, one that takes good macros. My Sony Mavica is not as good as the last two Mavicas I had, but I only paid $50 for it used, so I can't complain.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

After seeing this yesterday, I looked for blooming jade images online and most of the pics were white - but some had a pinkish tinge to them. Though not as pink as yours, Eddie. I gave my jade away when I moved here, it was a rescue plant, full of mealies...I took pity on it and brought it home, but they really need more light than I could give.

Gabi, that jade looks like an older plant by the look of the trunks - one that maybe lost it's leaves a few times and then regrew new ones?

• mairzy_dotes
    16 years ago

Jade plants grow into small trees around here. People plant them their yards and they go wild. I got a yellow one last year, but if you don't keep it in absolute full sun..it fades back into a dull green.

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi - Your jade is very nice, wish mine was that big. So did you put your jade in full sun? South lighting? How cool!!! I'm excited they bloom! I am tring to get my 2 thankgiving cactus to bloom right now. The jade will have to wait until spring to go outside now it's already to cold here in Missouri. Gabi love the camera it's wonderful.
    shanna

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Jen, you're pretty much right on with your guess. It's a very old jade, and I've pruned it before. It's grown in nicely since I pruned it a little over a year ago.

Shanna, I put it on my balcony, which is eastern exposure. So it gets morning sun. I can only imagine what it would look like if it was in southern exposure!!

Gabi

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi
    do you think it would be ok in full sun southern exposure? Do you think it would burn the leaves? And you said you leave it out until right after the first frost? The frost won't kill it? Just curious, wouldn't want to take any changes of loosing it. I have recently started collecting hoyas so I haven't put any outside and plus I have read some things about plants getting stolen and it would just break my heart if that happenend. I do have other house plants that I put outside in southern exposure under the small roof overhang on my front porch. Here's a pic. they have grown so much.
    Croton

Norfork Pine (i think) Sorry can't get this one to resize smaller for some reason.

Sago Palm (bought in Destin, Florida on vacation oct. 06)

Not sure what this is....

thanks for looking at my pics
    shanna

shanna

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Nice plants!
    I can't guarantee about the first frost - it's just what I was told. I heard 2 things actually: that you should take it back inside right before the first frost, and that you should take it out right after. So I don't know. Try doing a search on the C+S forum maybe. Also, you mentioned about putting you hoyas outside - just wanted to make sure you knew that the jade wasn't a hoya :)
    I don't think the southern exposure would burn a jade, but I'm really not sure.

Thanks for sharing those pics :)

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi
    I will do a search like you suggested and do some reasearch on the internet about how to make a jade bloom. I did not think jade was a hoya but I sometimes switch subjects when talking and loose people. I try to re-read my messages just to make sure I make since; but I have a tendency to mix multiple subject together without realizing it. But I appreciate your knowledge b/c I am still quite the sponge with all this hoya information.

When you take a pic of a small plant which angle do you think makes the best pic's? Taking one from the top of the plant looking down or at eye level straight on? Or do you think it depends on the plant and it's leaves?

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Oh boy - that's a tough question, and one that I have no clue about! Hopefully Eddie will stop in and see your post.

I would think it just depends on what looks best. I took that first jade bud photo from above, and I like the way it looks. I guess it's all up to the "artist" :)

• Mentha
    16 years ago

shanna your last one is probably a philo selloum.

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Thanks Gabi an Mentha. I will google philo selloum.

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eddie, your photo's are breath taking. You are truly an artist.

• blackwyld
    16 years ago

You guys are amazing with the photos. I love taking photos of my plants or any plants.... or anything else for that matter :)
    My hoyas aren't the best subjects right now because they are so small but I have spent hours playing with my other plants.

I find the best way to get good shots is to just play. Try different things and experiment. I find it is tons of fun. Just make sure you have a large memory card, trust me, if you are shutter nut like I am it really helps.
    I can take hundreds of photos but only keep a few. That is what the experts are doing, they don't just take one shot and then walk away.

I bought myself a Canon Rebel XTi for my birthday this summer and am loving it! A digital SLR has been something I have always wanted. I just purchased a macro lens for it and am squirming for it to get here. I have never used a tripod but it is on my Christmas list because I am going to need it with the new lens.
    Next step is a few camera classes because, right now, I swear the only reason I get good shots is because of the camera. I am just the silly person pushing the buttons.
    Here's what I have managed so far (these are non hoya shots I am afraid. Wait until I get my macro and they are blooming!!!)

Keep on shootin'
    BW

• blackwyld
    16 years ago

P.S. Gabi.
    Congrats on your blooming jade, it is beautiful!

That is my next personal challenge. To get my jade and orchids blooming up here.

And Shanna5: If your jade is not used to full sun it may burn at first. Mine did. I threw it out in the backyard where it got midday and afternoon sun and it burned. But the wealth of new growth it packed on once it acclimatised was amazing and worth a few crispy leaves.

• artur0
    16 years ago

wow! blackwyld those are outstanding. i love the compositions. please put your personal challenge at the top of your to-do list

• Denise
    16 years ago

Shanna,

Just acclimate your Jade to south sun over two or three weeks. Or do like I do and start putting it out as soon as the weather warms to 50 degrees during the day. If it's predicted that it will fall below freezing, I bring it back in at night, then put it back out in the a.m. I usually start this in March. By the time the sun moves far enough north to be hot, it's well acclimated. And I do keep mine in full south sun all summer. They take on some beautiful tones. One of mine is in full bud, too, though another, that set next to it all summer and is actually bigger, is showing no signs of budding. Go figure!

Denise in Omaha
    {{gwi:485751}}

• shanna5
    16 years ago

blackwyld
    Great, thanks for the advice. I will definately designate a spot outside for the jade next spring, How exciting!!!! Those pic's you took are awsome, you are really good at it.

Denise
    I have never seen a jade that color. That is a very striking plant. Do you take any pic's of your jade that bloomed? Thanks for the instructions on the Jade plant.
    shanna

• blackwyld
    16 years ago

Denise that is a beautiful jade! I hope mine grow up to be like that one.

Artur0 and Shanna:
    Thankies! For every good photo there are a few hundred not-so-good photos. (I just don't let you see those ones) *wink wink*

Hehe!!

BW

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Blackwyld, beautiful pictures!

Denise, another great suggestion regarding the use of poster boards! Picked up several sheets this evening in hopes I can complete my photo album this weekend. Gorgeous jade!

• Mentha
    16 years ago

I've been following this thread hoping to find a good replacement for my camera, which I've had for ages. I love the old floppy drive Sony Mavicas, anyway I was looking for a way maybe to repair it cheaply. After banging it with the butt of my hand a few times it started working again. WHOOHOOO!! I know I'll eventually have to replace the floppy drive in it but it's given me a few more shots, which I'll save for closer pictures my older Mavica can't take.

• o7sugar
    16 years ago

Blackwyld - I really like the pic of the rose with the dew on it, so simply pretty!
    Epiforums - Your pics also seem to come out very beautifully, I want to reach through the screen to smell, and touch them !
    As for the jades, WOW, I didn't know the possibilities!!
    Even if your pic was your first taken or your 100th, there all great!
    -Nicole-

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Good job Mentha...that's my kind of repair job :)

BW, awesome pics! Thanks for sharing.

• cattleya17
    16 years ago

Do You Mind if i share some photos They are not exactly plant related But some Are. I just wanted to join in on the photography. Gabi Its nice to see you at the cacti forum!!!! And I agree Great Photos!!! ;) I took these photos with my family on a hike and at home with my new Samsung Digimax L73

Here Are My Hibiscus And The Sunrise On the Hill Above my house And A pic of the sun coming through the trees on a hike we went on.
    {{gwi:206531}}
    {{gwi:206528}}
    {{gwi:206526}}
    {{gwi:994819}}
    I hope That this Wasnt Completly erelevent i mean there isnt a pic of a hoya but i really wanted to share these with all of you. sorry for the photo size

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Cattleya,
    Hi there. Yeah, I haven't been on the C+S forum in a long time! Thanks for the compliment :) Speaking of which, your pics are gorgeous!! No such thing as irrelevant - speaking for myself, I love to see pics...and you have trees/plants in all your pics...so that's pretty relevant to me! By the way, when you see your fingerprints in a picture, you KNOW you can take a good pic! Congrats.

Blackwyld,
    Got 2 questions for ya.
    First, what is the difference b/w SLR and a regular digital camera? I know that SLR is much better (and I can probably look up what SLR means and why it's better..but I thought I'd just ask you). Too bad I just bought a new camera before I saw your gorgeous pics! But it would be much too expensive for me right now anyway, which X-mas coming up.
    Second, what setting do you use to take those gorgeous flower pics? I like the in-focus flower pic and out-of-focus background. Thanks :)

On a side note - it's funny that when I look back at my full jade plant pics, part of me actually likes the dark green foliage (in comparison to the light foliage it has changed into since being in the sun). I wish I could keep that dark green foliage with the added red tinge - oh well, not gonna complain!

Gabi

• o7sugar
    16 years ago

Cattleya, the pic of the Hibiscus is just beautiful! I love pictures, flowers, trees, nature, wilderness!!!!!!!!Pretty pretty pretty.
    -Nicole-

• ziojimi
    16 years ago

Some photo tips that I can pass on are....

*Buy some black or dark color posterboard for backgrounds.
    *Get two of some sort of clip-on lights that have a reflector with them...Lowe's has some for $5 and have the squeeze grip on them
    *Some high-wattage compact fluorescent bulbs (hardly any heat).
    *Use a tri-pod or brace yourself somehow, I have to press half-way down for the auto-focus and when Im ready to take the picture I'll slowly exhale and press the rest of the way down.

I use a Minolta DiMage A1...it has 5.0 mega pixels,7x optical zoom,2x digital zoom,macro,settings for sunlight,incandescent and fluorescent lighting,If you want to go a bit higher there is also a DiMage A2 with 8 mega pixel.Hope this is useful for someone.

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi
    Speaking of Jade plant I found one at lowes this weekend in a 6" pot and it was 7.97 and asked them to discount for some leaves that had fallen off and a few scarred and got it for 3.99, I was pleased.
    shanna

Sponsored