SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derbyka

Starting a Raised Bed in a Community Garden

derbyka
12 years ago

Finally fed up with lack of sun in my little apartment yard (especially during the growing seasons!), I finally broke down and rented a plot in a community garden here in St. Pete. I have been reading and searching a lot in this forum on the subject of "creating" soil in Florida sand. Many of the methods seem more suited to those who are planning to build a yard or garden long term. I am trying to figure out what I can dig in and use "fresh" to improve the soil and get it ready to plant. It seems the verdict is out on whether peat is a good idea in Florida because it absorbs a lot of water from the rain? My experience with container gardening would seem to support this. I have read a couple of different of dig depths (most being around 6" - 8"?). Do I need to completely remove the sand to this level or loosen it and blend with whatever I add? Also, while a lasagna type preparation won't yield the immediate situation I need, could I dig down, assemble layers and then put a deep "ready to plant" layer on top of it? I was thinking of using composted horse manure, pine fines or some well draining mix (like jungle mix), and I am not sure what else. If the manure seems composted (smells fresh and minimal shavings) should I risk using it fresh? From what I read, some people recommended mushroom compost and others highly discouraged it. Any input? Any suggests for how to prepare the bed for early Jan planting would be highly appreciated. (The raised sides are about 6 inches).

Comments (24)