SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_in_se_pa

Guard duty!

jenny_in_se_pa
18 years ago

This evening, I definitely confirmed that I have more than one hummie coming to my feeder. I think that red bag hanging out there helped do the trick! LOL

The above hummie propped itself up on a stray vine from the morning glory that I have growing around the shepherd's hook that holds the feeder. AND it actually stood its ground watching over the feeder while I approached the window to do a zoom and snap some pictures - including with the flash. It was starting to get dark and I am still learning all the settings on the camera so I probably should have used the night macro to get the flash strong enough to illuminate the background a bit better (and it's hard to use a flash through a glass window) but still... Talk about a bold bird! lol

In a nutshell, I witnessed all the antics up here 150ft in the sky that you all have going on down on the ground. One hummer at the feeder and in comes another to dive bomb it and chase it away. I finally saw this happening for certain with my own two eyes after coming home from work today, and noted that the action really picked up around 7pm. I had refilled the feeder with nice chilled sugar/water as soon as I got home and they were looking for it! Plus they spent a good long time perching and sipping, which is good. They were also fighting over the Agastache. Now THAT is a plant that I will definitely try again next year and see if I can get it to overwinter this year. Couldn't tell about the B & B but I did see times when they would suddenly drop down from the feeder towards the blooms, which are actually sticking out in mid-air on the street side of the balcony fencing for easy access.

I guess this is all the grand finale before they go for good so I'm enjoying it while I can!

Comment (1)