SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbiegardner

What to plant where grass dies?

newbiegardner
15 years ago

Folks,

I have a mulch bed in my front yard with some Aboricola (sp) shrubs and foxtails and monkey grass growing. Here is a picture of the front of the mulch bed (notice the dirt behind the mulch bed? Nothing grows here! Help!):

Unfortunately, the mulch bed does not start at the house and there are 3 feet between it and the start of my home where, as I said, nothing grows. See below:

I had someone at the house that installs gutters and he says the grass dies here since I don't have gutters. Sounds fishy. Anyway, we did try and plant sod...but as you can see the grass died. We don't have a sprinker system in this area...so are looking for some suggestions for plants that are somewhat drought tolerant.

Now there is anotehr section of our backyard where grass does not grow either. We went to a nursery and asked them for advice and they suggested a plant known by the slang term "elephant ears"...they died a slow death over 6 months....I must admit probably because we stopped watering once they established. Here is what this section looks like now:

Finally, here is a section on the South side of the house where we can't get grass to grow:

Perhaps the only thing in common all these sections have is that they are adjacent to the home and we have no gutters on our house around them...maybe the gutter guy was right and the force of the rainwater coming down kills anything that is planted there.

Is there an alternative to installing gutters? I would love a recommendation of a drought tolerant groundcover for these sections.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Are there any groundcovers that can survive in Florida on rainwater ALONE without the need for supplemental watering?

Comments (6)