SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Been gone awhile--back with update and plant bag info!!

Janice
10 years ago

After 44 years of starting with a blank canvas (really blank yard), and remodeling as a relationship-building exercise, we've finally gotten everything JUST AS WE LOVE IT--and lo and behold, we're moving!! Sigh! It's really a mixed blessing. I will surely shed some tears that last day we leave this place for good, BUT, the good news is that our daughter and son - in-law (and two GRAND boys who have lived two lots behind us all their married years) have taken on renovating his homestead where he grew up! They are doing what we've done all these years and it's becoming an awesome place out in the farmland areas! They've even put in a 1/4 acre fishing pond! So neat!

They have been begging us to move with them, nearby but I was firm saying I would never leave this place if I could help it! Well, you just never, ever say such a thing in the Lord's hearing! You just never know when He has other plans for us. So, 3 weeks ago, the house RIGHT across the street from them went on the market by the owners (two sons of a lady who is now living with one of them). They had heard by way of the 'grape vine' (can I mention grapes here?) that at least one of us, ahem--not me, might be looking for a place and they called us and gave us first dibs on the place!

I could share so much more but I don't want to bore everyone to death, but I will tell you that I am digging up almost every hosta, heuchera, fern and one Black Sambuca! I do not want someone who does not love these plants as much as we all do, to trash them or neglect them sorely! I've poured my life-blood (we won't mention the monies spent) into making a habitation for them all so they're moving with me.

I don't have as many as you did Ken, when you moved but I have at least 150 hosta, alone! If I get a chance to meet the buyers and see they love these plants like we all do or are interested in finding out what's so great about them, then I will share lots of divisions from my collection with them.

Now, what you should know about me (those who do not know me already) is that I have many, many hosta in pots and barrels. I love how they look at varied heights in my landscape and the soil I have is non-existent in that the top 20 feet was removed and pushed down into other lots to make better building sites (like our daughter and son-inlaw's place behind us, across the street) and we are left with clay and LOTS of rock. I have a fair amount I'm digging but many more that I just have to dis-engage from barrels and pull up in pots in the ground or sitting on top of it!

Okay--the badder news, there are nothing but MAPLES on the 4 acres we're moving to!!! But, again, the good news is that I found a source for those wonderful plant bags! I know I can't advertise here, but email me and I'll let you know who he is--a really nice guy, I sense and I am very happy with doing business with him. I purchased 20 of the 7 gallon bags and 5 ten gallon bags! They will be great to use for those I will replant!!! I've used some from another guy but I couldn't find him this time and found 'Jay' instead!

Thank you Jay for being out there with those bags, just waiting for someone who is dumb enough to move into Maple heaven, like us!!

Glad to see some familiar faces and names (Mylre, Phil and ken--right off) still around here--but there are many more who are missing that I hope will return!

Did I mention our other daughter, son-in-law and two other younger GRAND boys will be only 4 miles from us, too? Naw--I didn't but now you know it's really a GOOD thing we're doing, though there'll be lots of work to be done to enlarge the smaller very well-built house with a basement we're moving to! I'm excited--been engrossed with the drawing board and graph paper for the better part of two weeks! I've got PLANS, inside and OUT!!

Happy hosta-ing ya'll!!

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County