SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

Ruby throat population explosion?

kristin_williams
17 years ago

From time to time, I've read concern on this forum that the number of ruby-throated hummingbirds seems to be down this year. I don't remember who was saying this, but I think I remember reading it from more than one person. Some people were worried that hurricane Katrina and the whole crazy hurricane season we experienced might have caused higher than usual migration casualties.

For those of you who were worried, take a look at this website. It's a bird banding station in southwestern Pennsylvania, that has 40+ years of banding records. With this sort of data, it's possible to get a rough idea of population trends.

Contrary to our fears, I was delighted to discover that numbers of ruby-throats banded this spring in that part of Pennsylvania were at a 40 year high! This year, in March, April, and May, there were 121 ruby-throats banded. No doubt, the majority of those were in May, with maybe a few in April. By comparison, the previous all time high from 1962-2005 for these months was 119, and the average a mere 45.5. Just thought you guys would like to see that.

Since I only just began to feed them last summer, it's hard for me to say if numbers are greater or less than usual for me. All I can say is they seem to be pretty numerous, making frequent visits to the feeders by the windows. One can only hope that the upward trend seen in the Powdermill data is typical throughout their range. I realize, however, that it might not be the case. I guess it would take a lot more digging through other sources to find out. Still, it was encouraging to see.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Powdermill Bird Banding records

Comments (11)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES