SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
featherhoof

The Goings on with featherhoof and Waterman December 09

featherhoof
14 years ago

I have taken on a new hobby. I figured that most homesteads make their own wine, so I thought I would do just that. I made a gallon of seminole pumpkin wine last week and should be ready to be bottled in May to be consumed next Thanksgiving. Last night I began a 5 gallon batch of Orlando Tangelo wine. That will be ready at the end of next summer. Things are still looking pretty good in the yard. The pigeon peas are making pods, some of the cabbage is ready to be picked, I have some mystery(volunteer) squash almost ready to be picked(butternut x calabaza, I think). I went to the pioneer art festival, and these guys were giving sugar cane press demonstrations and giving samples of the juice. They were selling the canes(red unknown variety-verry sweet)for a dollar to the kids. I got one and it is already taking root. I am going to plant lettuce today- and more cabbage.

The 1 gal seminole pumpkin wine. It should turn out to be a semi-dry white wine.

5 gal. of Orlando tangelo wine. This should fill at least 20 or more wine bottles. I want this one to be sweet.

Kohlrabi

Cape gooseberries- or Poha berries. The sweet ones are the ones that fall on the ground and age a bit, otherwise they taste funny.

My eggplant that I planted in August is finally figured out that it's biological clock is ticking.

Bright lights chard

Green lance kale flowering

Trinidad/perfume peppers- no heat even though they look hot.

Copia tomatoes. Heirloom. Like green zebra only red.

Pigeon peas

Nantes half long carrots reccomended by Silvia.

Rojo red cabbage from Echo on right and asian cabbage on left from Johnnys seeds.

Savoy cabbage.. Slow grower.

Seafoam chard from pinetree seeds and waltham 29(heirloom) broccoli.

The Orlando tangelo tree where I got all that juice for my wine.

This is the olive garden. I have rhaab around each of the olive trees except one in the back. The kale and collards are doing great. The mallocotton(casabananna)- The viney stuff to the right have not made me any fruits yet. I think they are sopposed to flower during the short days, which is now. Maybe it will start blooming soon. Waterman is making me a trellis/arbor to grow melons on for next spring. He is making it out of lashed bamboo that my mom grew. Have a happy holliday season everyone!

Comments (8)

• sharbear50
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I noticed that your kohlrabi is the red/purple variety. I have only grown the green. Is there a difference in taste? Wine, yum! I used to make wine, when I lived in Virgina I had a grape arbor. A neighbor of mine there used to make tomatoe liqueur. I wish I had gotten the recipe for that!

• cjc45
    14 years ago

Good luck with the wine. My mother used to make cranberry wine for the holidays, it was great. She also made fig wine which wasn't very good for drinking but made delicious salad dressing. Remember, bad wine is usually very good vinegar.

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Miranda

Congratulations on your new hobby! It is going to be very interesting, let us know the results.

As a child my father would take me to the sugar cane mills, and we got to sample the juice and the liquor made there, strong stuff!

My father also made a delicious wine out of a very sour fruit (grosella) is like a berry. It was a sweet wine.

You are going to be busy with the garden and the winemaking, the crops are looking good.

And you will be happy with the nantes carrot, I always plant them in my garden. They are the all purpose, no fail carrot. Especially if you get them on sale in a tape form. Tons of the tape are even cheaper than the packet of seeds. When I see this value, I stock them up. And you don't even to have to thin them, thinning is not my favorite occupation. :o)

The poha berries are the same as the ground cherries, you can save them when ripe in their own husks till you have enough to make a jam. Or you can use them in salads savory or sweet. I eat them as a snack.

If you planted the casabanana in the spring, you would have fruits now, they take 100 days or more to grow and they take over the garden. That is a big no, no, for me and my small space.

Nice tangelo tree!

Silvia

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh!!! How beautiful your garden is! It reminds me of my childhood and my mother's super-large garden and all the fruit and berries that would be canned or made into pies!

Now that I'm a total urbanite with my tiny, tiny container gardens, I do find myself nostalgic for those opportunities again.

I love viewing yours and Sylvia's gardens - very rewarding to see!

• featherhoof
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I cleaned up where the horned melons were. Silvia was right -wear gloves!

In its place, I planted snow peas, bloomsdale spinach, salad mix(all brassicas like pac choy, ruby streaks mustard, ect), and more nantes half-long carrots.

Most of the baby papaya made it into earthboxes for the winter.

The wines are going well. The lettuces-not so well. I might move 50+ pineapple plants to an area where I can protect them better from the cold and water them more often. I'll save that for later. My broccoli plants are huge and healthy but show no signs of heading up. Today, I harvested parsnips, carrots, and a head of cabbage. I made corned beef and cabbage in the slow-cooker. Mmmmmmm.

What did I do with the tops? My bunny and chickens love me today.

• natives_and_veggies
    14 years ago

Oh, you make me wish I could hurry up my cape gooseberry plant. It's got a couple little buds, so I should have flowers pretty soon. (And thanks for the seeds Silvia! I'm looking forward to those even more than all my various tomtoes.)

• rednofl
    14 years ago

Good luck with the wine making my dad used to by Orange wine from the road side packing house stands you used to see all over Florida I may have to try making some. I bought one of those blackberry plants they claim you can get 20 gallons of fruit from one plant everything I read said don't expect much the first year. I planted it on a 16 ft long trellis hoping I'd need it in a few years. Boy am I suprised I ended up with 6 strong canes over 30 ft long and they are still growin like weeds if we get enough chill hours for it to fruit I plan to make some sweet blackberry wine

• featherhoof
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OOOOOhhhh! I have some blackberry bushes, but they are not in the ground yet.. I racked the tangelo wine(put wine from big bucket into glass carboy) . I plan on juicing a whole bunch of calamondin and perhaps making some wine from it. Calamondin tastes so darn good in stuff. It has GOT to make good wine.