SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcialb_gw

Recipe for beachplum jelly with garlic and jalapen

marcialb
17 years ago

Hello, I am desperate to find a recipe and am concerned that I have enough acid, even though beachplum juice is very acid, so as not to kill someone what with the garlic and jalapeno pieces. I want them in the jelly for appearance.

I use either sour cherry or plum recipes from Sure Jell/Certo, but of course 4 to five cups of sugar go into a single batch. I do add about one cup less than called for as we like it tart.

Any info...asap...would be appreciated.

Best,

Marcia

Comments (2)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

To aid in the gelling of a lower sugar jelly, suggest you try the Pomona pectin. It will set without the use of any sugar. I would elect that even if you have a lot of added sugar, and the acidity of beach plums, you shouldn't be too concerned about the lower acid additions, unless your using up to or over 1/3 of each item in a single batch of jelly. With just a few for appearance purposes, there should be no safety issues.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

When canning jellies with added low acid things, like garlic and jalapeno, it is necessary to add vinegar or bottled lemon juice. I can't say for certain how much would be needed, but you do need more than just the fruit juice to make it safe.
    This isn't the site I was looking for, but it will give you an idea in the recipe for their golden pepper jelly.
    If I can find the other one, I will post later.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor