SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

Hosta lovers - please help with hosta boredom!

t-bird
13 years ago

Hi All!

Along my driveway, I have a 3-4 foot x 30-40 section that is planted with hostas. They are very large, darkish green, with the ribbed texture. Not sure of the type.

I had thought they were all the same until just recently - I saw 2 variegated leaves, same basic look but with a little bit of that bluish green varigated into the ribbed leaves. Not sure if this was another type of hosta that has been crowded out by a more vigorous cultivar or not, but I nabbed him out of there and put into another garden area just in case. Made me think that at one time this area was more varied.....

This hosta area was planted at least 15 or even more years ago. It is solid and crowded. Great ground cover, but not a huge ornamental plus either.

I was thinking about digging out parts of the hosta line to complement with other plants to add interest.

This area is 90% shade, sometimes of the year 100% as the neighbors house begins about 6-12 inches south from this bed - 2.5 stories.

I'm in zone 5 - chicago - urban area.

What suggestions to make this an eye catcher as opposed to hosta musak?

Thanks so much for your ideas. I've been looking on this forum and your gardens are so lovely, gave me the idea that I could revamp this area with a little redesign....

Comments (7)