SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Beginner hosta lover - new bed b4 & after

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

Hi all!

I inherited a few hosta a few years ago when I bought a house in the city. The gardens had been nice at one time but were terribly neglected. Anyway, the owner had a bunch of plain hosta out front and some interesting (to me) varieties hidden neglected at the back of the side yard.

The past few weekends I dug out the side yard and started to make it into a real bed. All the hosta are unnamed although I have my suspicions.

In the front yard (not shown) I have planted June, Whirlwind, Blue mouse ears, Stiletto, Praying Hands and Montana. My first purchases but I'm pretty sure not the last!

I've added soaker hoses to water this bed because of competition with the hedge, but actually the old owner's hostas did amazing back there in a completely neglected state with zero watering.

Before (hostas just starting to shoot up)

After

I was a little nervous to transplant the biggest hostas but they all seem to be doing great. I just dragged them around on a shovel! I will probably replace that big guy at the front with something more interesting and move him back, but he is right under the tap so comes in for some abuse from hoses.

In Nova Scotia it seems hostas are common as dirt and very easy to grow so they are very rewarding for beginner gardeners.

Comments (42)