SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Mulch from the paper shredder?

User
11 years ago

I have a bunch of shredded paper coming from my waste junk mail and such as that. I think it could be mixed in with the compost pile and eventually rot down enough to use building my garden soil.

I tried it as is for a flower pot, did not plant anything in it, just put it in the bottom with potting mix over it. Well, that did not work, because it sort of became papier mache and took the form of the pot. I could have built egg crates from it after it dried. Perhaps the secret was keeping it always wet, but in this case it dried out.

Since I shred up all my junk mail, including catalogs, and old things my DH prints from his computer which winds up as waste, does anyone have any thoughts on an easy, non labor-intensive way to make use of this shredded paper?

I'm about to lay newsprint on the RoundUpped soil beneath the new shade structure and wonder if this can go beneath the newsprint? I sure don't want it blowing everywhere--white stands out too much in a field of green!

Any thoughts on the subject appreciated. This project of mound building begins next week after I return from NY.

Comments (17)