SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masondad

when to put out my first feeder?

masondad
18 years ago

Hi all, I am brand new to this forum...what cool pictures. I have not yet been "into" hummingbirds, but my kids bought me a feeder last week. I have not put it out yet, but last week we have seen two hummingbirds in my yard. Huh...I don't have too many flowers, and it is very HOT.

Wow,,,it would be so cool to start seeing hummingbirds in our yard. I am fearlful of becoming an addict, but I (and my wife) will have to deal with that later.

SO here is my question. My kids just bought me the feeder, but it is HOT right now. I was going to wait til next spring, but would the birds benefit from the feeder now? Also, the area I would like to hang it would be ont the South side of my home (so I can see it from my picture window), under the awning, but in the sun. The only flowers that I have there now are sunflowers and roses. Are there annuals I can plant now that would attract birds.

In a nutshell, I would like to start now, but should I wait til spring and start right, with the correct flowers and habitat?

Thanks for the help (my 9 yr old REALLY wants to see hummingbirds

Comments (11)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company