SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doctorsteve

early season plants?

doctorsteve
14 years ago

My hummingbird/butterfly garden is in its third year, with a new expansion, adding upright fuchsia, a second variety of cardinal flower, shrimp plant, pineapple sage, red hot poker, red columbine, coral bells, monkey face and azuga to the coral honeysuckle, cardinal flower, trailing fuchsia, butterfly bush, beebalm and black and blue salvia. Irrigation with misters is coming.

I'd really like to eventually attract some to nest, and wonder whether I would not need a food source earlier in the year to do that. I suppose the columbine will bloom earlier next year than anything that was already planted, and the honeysuckle put out blooms in May. But the salvia is only recently flowering (and the woodchucks don't help...), the cardinal flowers aren't even sending up stalks yet, and I suspect the fuchsias are only in bloom because they were bought that way at the store.

Are there dependable early-season hummer magnets that will be in bloom when they are migrating through? I think I'm pretty well covered for July through early September.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor