SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Some stinky Hoya relatives

mdahms1979
13 years ago

Well not many Hoyas in bloom right now other than a few that never seem to stop but we have all seen those before.

These are some of my Stapelias that are blooming right now. Stapelia is one genus of several that are all related to Hoyas and milkweeds. These plants are succulents and many have truly amazing flowers many of which stink like dung or carrion or some other putrid smell. The scent from the flowers is really only noticeable in the sun but you would probably not want to have a plant that is in full bloom on your sunny windowsill. These plants are very attractive to mealies so if you grow them you need to be very careful, a systemic will come in handy if you choose to use one.

Stapelia schinzii is a very attractive smaller species.

Stapelia leendertziae is another small species but it is different from other Stapelia species because of it's deep bell shaped flowers. The plant I have has flowers that barely open and in nature they would lie on the soil surface allowing insects to crawl inside. Other plants of this species have flowers that open more than my plant's but not much more.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flickr set with other succulent Hoya relatives

Comments (25)

Sponsored