SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrick51_gw

Hoyas, hoyas and....more hoyas!

patrick51
14 years ago

Hi all...just a quick note to let you know that I've received 22 new hoyas in the past 6 days. Yes, I know, I'm totally psycho!! I won H. Borneo gunung gading on Ebay...it was my 3rd try at winning this plant...it's a very handsome plant and good and healthy...at $86 it was a bit pricey...but, IMO worth the bucks.

I received my shipment from Aleya last Thursday...a bit disappointing. 8 of the 10 plants have yellowing and dropping leaves...H. hypolasia is down to two leaves. The large-leafed Hoyas were sadly dehydrated...I soaked them all in warm sugar water for 5 hours. I'm praying that the yellowing stops before all of the leaves are gone. The good thing was that I ordered a davidcummingi and Pascal sent me 8 of them!! They make for a beautiful hanging plant.

On Ebay there's a vendor called Greenthumb...he, too, is from Thailand...his hoyas are kinda pricey....most are $40 each...but, they're huge plants. I received H. glabra, H. waymaniae and H. vitellina. H. glabra is at least 5 feet of twining vines and H. waymaniae is absolutely gorgeous...check Ebay to see a picture of this stunning plant...lots of red and very nice texture to the leaves...it stands close to 3 feet. The only disappointing thing was that Permsri wrapped the H. vitellina in a plastic bag...the entire plant!! Too much water was added, and naturally, ALL of the leaves turned to mush! Picking up the leaves was like trying to pick up applesauce...LOL! Do any of you hoya veterans have any idea what the chances are of this plant surviving and regrowing some of it's leaves? Permsri assured me that they'd "probably" regrow. Otherwise...I was very pleased with the plants...very impressive sizes. I would recommend Greenthumb to any of you that is interested in a substantial sized hoya...either in bloom or large enough to begin blooming.

I won two auctions on Ebay for H. lambii and H. praetorii...both offered by Christine Burton...I won the auctions at a considerable price (which I'd prefir not to think about!!). The plants arrived quickly and are very nice. BTW Ms. Burton does absolutely nothing to endear herself to anyone...not even to paying customers!! If you've read her online journal, you know how bitter she can be...trust me, she's the same way to her customers. I would, regardless, order from her again...only, I'd certainly not do any correspondence with the lady! She is downright rude and obnoxious. However, she's extremely knowledgeable. I pray that the woman never had any children!!! LOL

I won some cutting on Ebay...from Bryan Hutchinson...very, very nice...I highly recommend him and his wife, Sara. The amazing thing was H. polystachya...the cutting is enormous!! The leaves weigh a pound each...the leaves are 9" X 7"...just huge. The cutting fills an 8" pot very nicely. This hoya was formally known as H. macrophylla...but, has zero similarities to H. macrophylla.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with what I've received...there were others, but I've rattled on long enough to bore you all to tears. Sorry I can't post pictures...I inquired about purchasing a camera to post pictures...and was informed that my computer...like me, is "older than dirt" and would be difficult, if not impossible, to post pictures. A new computer is my next purchase. I think I'm finished buying Hoyas for this year. Mike (Mn) I e-mailed you last weekend regarding the stemma forum...perhaps you read my messaged and promptly deleted it LOL. That's okay, I understand. Take good care all and Best Wishes!! BTW, welcome Brad...it's great to have you aboard!! Patrick

Comments (35)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! Patrick, you got the bugs badddddd. Good luck with your hoyas.

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Patrick, Boy I'll say you went a little nuts. . . but at least you're pleased w/your purchases. Not sure what your total cost was but you probably could have bought a new computer with what you spent. . . lol.

Say, what is Ms. Burtons seller name on E-Bay? (if you dare say)

How long did it take to get the order from Thailand? I have been looking at those plants, they ARE very nice. Wasn't it you that got the order from Aleya that was only an empty box? Or am I thinkin of someone else? Everytime I think about ordering from them I get the hives thinkin about that experiance, wether it was you or not.

I certainly hope your sick ones pull thru for you.

Maid

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Hoya Chimera/Hoya Pubicalyx RHP

Q

Comments (8)
    Glad to hear you got the one you wanted. Did you get it from someone in here?? Well I THINK I have the 'Hawaiian Purple', it's growth and blooms look like those top pics. BUT its NEW growth is VERY dark, including the stems. And has no twisting,or that rosey blush on it. The leaves are very thick and have the silver splashes on it, no thinness to it and it doesn't twist either. That name 'Philipine Black' is a name I have heard of. I either had it, or got it with my Hawaiian, and it didn't live. I dont have a tag on my 'Hawaiian Purple'. It never bloomed till this past winter, finally, after 5-7 years of waiting, so it got lost over time. Now it has like 10 spurs, and 8 are putting out new buds now.know now. It is SO big, lots of long vines, I guess it is happy now, thus the spurs, finally! The bloom pic. at the top IS what I have. I can take pictures of the blooms when they open in 2 weeks or so. That 'Super Splash' one is amazing! Your own cross??? Do you have a lot it...for trade or sale?? Or is it just that 1 vine? It ever bloom? Has that 'Philipine Black' you have bloomed for you yet? This is a picture of a cutting I got on here like 3 yrs ago, the tag on it faded fast in the sun. so no name. I posted these pics. on here, but no one knows the name of it. This top pic. is one of my oldest hoyas a 'Macgillvrayii' that I adore. As you see, the leaves are a plain light green. nothing special, but this is its first bloom ever. And it has the regular 'Pubicalyx fragrance to it. So,it is un-named. I grow several of the 'Macs' and several colors of the 'Archboldandias', the BIG bloomers. I am still waiting for blooms to happen on most. This is the one that blooms for me all year. Almost non stop.
    ...See More

Wanted Trade/Sale: Hoya Kerrii Reverse, Hoya Serpens, Hoya Mathilde

Q

Comments (1)
    I also have a small but rooted serpens cutting
    ...See More

Hoya Linh, from Hoya Creations

Q

Comments (5)
    Susan Swartzfager on Facebook has them, don’t know if she has any available right now though. If you have a Facebook account go to hoya creations and you can see what all Mike Bernardo has been doing. Some beautiful creations, Susan grows them out and sells them. Not all the creations have been released yet and some won’t be at all.
    ...See More

Hoya sunrise and Hoya fungii questions

Q

Comments (4)
    Sunrise is on my wish list, but Fungii is an easy going Hoya. It's only bloomed once for me in the years I've had it. Had to cut it back some since it suffered last winter, but it sprouted some new leaves and I took a cutting from it, as well. Hoyas like bright, indirect light, or an eastern or western facing window. As for watering, it depends on the variety and growing conditions. They also appreciate a little extra humidity when they're forced indoors for the fall and winter. I take mine outdoors in bright shade and they love it! Especially when it's hot and humid. They explode with growth (and a little tomato fertilizer helps with that, too). Brad AKA Moonwolf
    ...See More
  • sberg
    14 years ago

LOL Patrick---I too have bought some hoyas from Ms. Burton on e-bay...I learned very quickly to deal with her exactly like they dealt with the "Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld...line up, make your bid, pay, leave feed back..do NOT ask any questions, make any comments, or attempt to engage her in any correspondence...otherwise, it could be "No Hoyas For You!"...And you're right, she does have very nice plants...sounds like you've really been exploring all kinds of dealers lately...good for you!

Oh, and Chris Burton's e-bay name is "the hoyan"...

Shelley

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hey Patrick,
    No, sorry, I have not received any emails from you. I get so much email that it is possible that I just missed it. I will check tonight and see if I just missed the message. Usually, those emails from GW stick out pretty well so I do see them. (I cannot check my personal email from work due to access being blocked.) (:o(

I'll let you know if I have the message or not. If I don't, I'd appreciate it if you could send the message again.

Wow, you've added some really nice plants to your collection. How large are the leaves of H. sp. Borneo Gunung Gading and are the veins really, really dark? I've lusted after this plant, too, but the cost usually get far higher than I want to spend for a hoya.

I sent an email to David Liddle and received a reply saying that H. sp. Borneo Gunung Gading is H. callistophylla, IML 1174, on his list ($11.00). I purchased both of the H. callistophylla from David and need to wait to see if I can see any differences between them. David said the IML 1174 had larger leaves than the IML 0554.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• gabro14
    14 years ago

WOW...you really made out! I was contemplating getting that waymaniae from Greenthumb and another one (forget which one), but it was just too pricey for the risk of long travel. Glad it got to you safely :)

Please post pics whenever you get the chance - unless you sold your camera and/or computer in order to buy these hoyas :P

Gabi

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Patrick...Wow!! You really did go Hoya Crazy...but what a way to go! BTW, I LOVE that Waymaniae greenthumb posted, what a gorgeous hoya. Congrats on all your new hoyas...so it was you that outbid me on Borneo Gunung Gading huh? Just kidding, it was way to rich for my blood,lol. Glad you got it though! Patrick, if you ever want to trade...please email me.

Oh, I wish you can post pictures, I know I'm not the only one that wants to see pictures of all your new Hoyas!!

Hope the others that are yellowing will re-grow new leaves for you. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedbacks on the different Ebay sellers, its very helpful! Love the CB story,lol...

Shelley,

I absolutely LOVE Seinfeld...and your comparison of CB with the soup Nazi is the best description I can truly relate, ROFL...VERY FUNNY!! :o)

• theplanthoarder
    14 years ago

So your the one I lost the hoya lambii too. :( I really wanted it and at the last minute you came and snagged it. I ended up buying a cutting from Ted Green because I couldn't find the lambii anywhere else. The lambii cutting he sent me is huge and it still looks fine after a few days in the soil.

I'm afraid to buy from the Thailand sellers. I bought one from Aleya on ebay and the wonderful US customs opened it up so it took a month to get to me. By the time it got to me it was in trouble. All the leaves fell off of it and it became a stick and died. I want a hoya sp square and there is another Thailand seller who has it right now but I am afraid to buy it because of what happened before.

• sberg
    14 years ago

Puglvr---thanks...I love Seinfeld too (as you can tell) and I'm glad somebody got my reference :-D

SR

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Hey Patrick,

Boy you must REALLY love hoyas to pay $86 for one plant!
    At least it was a decent size. All the hoyas I obtained are healthy plants

LOL the Seinfeld reference! I never really watched it but I do remember the episode everyone's talking about.
    I usually watch shows like Laverne and Shirley, Facts of Life, ALF, MASH, Alice (Mel, Kiss My Grits!), Golden Girls, even the old cartoons like Looney Tunes, Rainbow Brite, etc. Oh I also watch Match Game, too. Am I bringing up good memories for you all?

Anyway, Patrick, so sorry to hear about your bad experience with the cuttings. Try and try again is all the advice I can give you! I'm dealing with mealies as you may already know, they won't leave lacunosa alone! I'm going to spray it tommorow! Funny thing is, once I saw it had mealies, it stopped blooming! I miss smelling the blooms:(

Brad AKA Moonwolf

P.S. I might add that even though I'm younger, I also listen to records as I have quite a collection of those too!!! Oh and thanks everyone for making me feel welcome here!

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hey Patrick,
    I checked my email all the way back to 9-3-09 and I don't see any messages from GW that I have not read. I did get a message from someone else on the forum, but not from you. Could you send the message again, please?

Actually, I'll send you a message though your page and then you can just reply back. Hopefully, this will work!
    Thanks,
    Mike

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hi Patrick,
    You don't have an email setup for messages here. That may be why your message did not go though? Please try to send the message to me again.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• patrick51
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maid...yes, I'm the one who received the empty box from Aleya Gardens...but, he replaced everything. Both shipments from Aleya took 9 days. The shipment from Greenthumb took 8 days...but, interesting to me, anyways, is that the box sat in Chicago for 4 days...and arrived to me the day after it was released from customs...so, I'd assume that customs is the "hold-up", not the USPS. I'd go ahead and order the H. waymaniae...the man is very nice...though his english is rather poor...he seemed VERY interested in making sure that I left "feedback"...that's always nice to know. Mike...the leaves on Gunung Gading are smallish...and they feel like cards from a playing deck...very different from my callistophylla. The venation is darkened...a very handsome plant!! BTW, I e-mailed you directly from the stemma forum...and mentioned in the e-mail that I didn't know if it'd go through as your e-mail address was not complete...but, I believe that's intentional on the part of the forum. Now Mike...just go ahead and admit that you simply deleted it when you saw my name!! LOL No, I haven't sold my computer...and have never owned a camera. Yes, I could have purchased a good number of computers with the amount of money I've spent on hoyas since late May...incidently, the same time I discovered THIS forum... you're all very "enabling" with your photos!!! In the meanwhile, I'm watching expectantly for some leaves on the H. vitellina...even one or two would ease my mind. The yellowing of the Aleya plants has slowed down...so, prayerfully, things will go smoother from here on. Brad...please buy some Bayer's Advanced Tree and Shrub...and be finished with the mealy bugs. I finished treating ALL of my plants on the 9th of this month with BATS...alot of work with over 200 plants...but, what a relief to see zero signs of those nasties anymore. Plus, the plants are growing like nuts and sending out peduncles everywhere...some with over 10 peduncles...I swear the BATS is loaded with growth hormones and bloom boosters!! LOL Best wishes, Patrick

• patrick51
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I apologize to those that I "beat" out on the Ebay auctions...I deliberately didn't mention most of my winnings so as not to offend anyone. But, I had to mention the winning of the Christine Burton hoyas so that I could relay to you all what a terrific lady she is. And, H. polystachya is such a spectacular plant...it amazes me. Please remember, I won Gunung Gading on my third try...which turned out for the better: my 2nd try I put a maximum bid of $116 and lost to someone who bid $119...so, on the 3rd try I saved 30-some bucks. There's a new Gunung Gading on Ebay now...the bid is only at $11...so, maybe you'll win it at a much better rate than I paid. Mike, my e-mail address is spartanfinchman@cs.com. Best wishes, Patrick

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Patrick, I agree that you really are a BIG HOYA LOVER! Congrats on your new plants.

Xuan

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hi Patrick,
    OK, I was checking the wrong email address. My GW email goes to a different email address than my Stemma email. I'll take a look at the Stemma email address and see if I can find your message. I don't delete email unless it's in the spam folder or very obviously spam.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hey Patrick,
    I checked all of my email accounts and did a search and never found anything from you. I'll send you an email, shortly.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Patric it looks like you are well on your way to having a collection of some very impressive Hoyas. If you like Hoya sp. Gunung Gading you should check out Hoya sp. Kalimantan from David Liddles collection.

Good luck with your new plants.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp. Kalimantan @ GrowingHoyas.com

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Patrick,
    I just purchased H. sp. Kalimantan from D. Liddle and it has the most spectacular leaves of any hoya I grow. Definitely worth having. It's expensive though; A cutting runs $27.50 USD.
    Mike

• patrick51
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike (Ont)...thanks for the link to H. Kalimantan...the leaves look very similar to Gunung Gading. Mike (Mn)...yeah, that sounds expensive...but, most things are relative...I paid $37 for the cutting of H. polystachya...but, it's worth it to me...as long as it roots and lives...LOL! I may have to join the group next year when you all order from David Liddle...though, I need more hoyas like I need another hole in my head!! Thanks to both of you!! Patrick

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Patrick, OMG!!!
    When are you going to post pics? Please do so.
    I'm new to rare hoyas, would love seeing those you bought..You really were raring to go..86.00!! Auctions are like betting in Vegas..lol..ever bid, then watch the time decrease second to second? Heart's racing, cold hands..does this happen to you/everyone or is it me?? lol
    I've got 4 bids going now, please don't outbid me..lol.
    Who on earth is Christine Burton? Don't let anyone push you around. Remember, you're 'their' employer..if it wasn't for ppl like us who spend our hard-earned money, they'd be out of business.

I've browsed Greenthumbs plants, and you're right, he's expensive..some vendors want 30.00+ for shipping, even for one plant..out of my league.

Patrick, I have a question..if you'd rather not answer that's okay..When you ordered from Aleya, did you pay the higher shipping fee? If so, how long did your shipment take?
    Which reminds me..I won 3 hoyas from Kokkikshop, shipped, Sept 1, from Thailand..I can only imagine what they'll look like when/if they ever arrive.

Please, don't forget the pics..thanks.Toni

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hey Patrick,
    I sent you an email last night. Hopefully it went through and you received it. I would have come from treelover3.
    Mike

• treelover3
    14 years ago

oops... I would have come... s/b It would have come...

• patrick51
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni...sorry, I can't post pictures...no camera and my computer is too ancient. I plan on buying a new computer soon...once I get all of the hoyas paid for...LOL. I had my hoyas shipped from Aleya the fastest and most expensive way...they took 9 days. From Greenthumb, same price, took 8 days. From Apodagis $7.50 and took 9 days. I'd worry if your hoyas were shipped on the 1st and you haven't received them yet...but, it depends on the type you ordered and how they packed them. The guy from Greenthumb packed the hoyas perfectly...then he did something really stupid...he placed each plant in a large plastic bag and added too much water...so, H. vitellina lost all of it's leaves and they had turned to mush. Do you have a tracking number for your purchase from Kokkishop? And, plz. don't worry about me outbidding you...I'm finished buying for this year!! Yes, I hate the time waiting for the bidding to end...gets my heart all racing and my stomach in knots...sorta like watching the end of a basketball game. Regarding Christine Burton...she writes the online journal "the hoyan"...and has been mentioned dozens of times on this forum...she's a rather unhappy and very bitter woman...though sometimes she's unintentionally hilarious! But, it's not hilarious when her comments are directed to oneself!! LOL Best wishes, Patrick

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

When ordering from Thailand you should go for the fastest shipping available. I just got a parcel (a very sad looking plant) this week that came from Thailand and it was in the mail for 29 days, that beats the the next slowest at 22 days for my Aleya's Garden Hoyas last year.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Tree/ ROFL

Patrick, pay Hoyas off, get a camera and probably new puter..Computers and cameras are nowhere near as expensive as they once were.
    Hey, that's what CC's are for..lol..

I didn't get a tracking number..Should I write and ask Kockkishop or do tracking numbers come from UPS/FedEx/Mail?
    I am very worried, but I'm to blame..if I had paid the faster shipping method, the package would probably be here.
    The last shipment from Aleya arrived fast.. Maybe a week..I can't recall exact days, but I was shocked when the mailman rang the bell to sign for the package.
    The first time I ordered from Thailand was in 2008..Seeds..they got here super-fast. Second shipment, from another seller was a disaster. I placed the order when temps were in the 50'sF. The seller lost his mother then there was a Custom issue..they were tossing and destroying packages left and right..I checked it out so knew the seller hadn't lied. My package went through, but it took so long, by the time the plants arrived our temps were single digits. Plants rotted..Mostly Adeniums. If one lives in a cold climate, late spring and summer is the best time to order overseas.
    I wonder where the box is. It's also possible Customs got and destroyed it..
    I've never heard of Christine Burton or The Hoyan..I'd like to read her articles..do you have an addy? Or should I Google her name? I wondered why people read/ask questions to her, but perhaps she's knows her Hoyas???

Mike/Ont...did you order a hoya or something else? When you think about the length of time it takes, you wonder why we bother..lol..

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Toni -- it's best you Google her, she one' of the big names in Hoyas but quite controversial & yes, the atmosphere around her, it can get quite bitter &/or heated heated. Best not to discuss it here

-- the Hawiian vendor is spcifically not to be mentioned here (banned by the prior Webmaster as I recall).

• dmichael619
    14 years ago

For anyone who wishes to order hoyas from Thailand or any other foreign country for that matter,make sure that you can get a phyto certificate to accommodate your shipment before you pay for it. Customs has been getting their panties in a twist lately and destroying any shipments that are not accompanied by proper documentation.

I had a rather large order of rare hoyas coming from Thailand that were shipped on 8/11. The box finally showed up at my house on 8/26. EMPTY!!!! All that was in it was a piece of paper from customs stating that the cuttings had in fact been inspected,were found to be insect and disease free but due to no phyto ( my fault) with the shipment ,my hoyas were destroyed.
    Bad part about it was that instead of the idiot inspector destroying the box as well, I mean hey if you trash the plants,trash the box too,they found it amusing to go ahead and send me the empty box. A letter would have been fine, my name and address were right on the box!!!

The Thai vendor who is someone that i've dealt with for several years now was gracious enough to replace the shipment for me,with a phyto this time. That box was mailed last Monday 9/14,it arrived in N.Y. Saturday 9/19 and it was at my house yesterday 9/21,sent EMS. It took exactly 1 week from the day of shipment for me to receive the order and everything was in excellent condition.

david

• patrick51
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni...Christine Burton is very, VERY knowledgeable regarding hoyas...especially their identification. Go ahead and read a few of her journals online...The Hoyan...and you'll know alot more about her than I'm willing to say here. BTW...I ordered a new computer...I should get it late this week or early next week....ALLELUIA!! Next I'll buy a camera....but, not til I can legally adopt a kid who can teach me to post pictures!! LOL Patrick

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Toni it was an orchid, a Drymoda species I had been looking for for years and years. The plant is deciduous in nature but lets just say the dry season came a little early for that plant.

Mike

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Hey Patrick, you ought to check out the guy called plumerindr on ebay. I have bought from him several times with no trouble. Takes about 10 days and they always arrive here just fine. These vines are pretty long and healthy. Now mind you I haven't seem them bloom yet to attest to the correct flowers, but I would think that would be a pretty big risk if they are knowingly wrong, IMHO. Just a thouht.

Dee

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Dee I'm glad you had a good experience with Plumerindr because I sure didn't! One other member here in the forum didn't enjoy her experience either.,,,Debbie

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Hi, I also did not have a good experience with this ebay seller.I would not recommend that you trust this guy.

Cindy

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

I just got 2 plants from this ebay seller. The leaves are totally all dead but the stems are still green, shipped 11/4/09, got here 11/23/09.
    The seller said these plants will be fine, we'll see.
    Jan

• katrina_beginner
    13 years ago

I MUST have more Hoyas! but...where do I get some in Canada?. I live way up north in Quebec Canada and cant seem to find any websites for Hoyas. Plenty from overseas but seems abit to complicated for a beginner.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Flora Exotica is in Montreal but it is best to shop in person although they do sell cuttings which is what I would reccomend getting. Other than that the Montreal Botanic Gardens sometimes offeres Hoyas at their sales. Buying Hoyas from overseas is the best option and sooner or later if you are serious enough you will find yourself as a member of a group order.

Mike

Sponsored