SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coffeemom_gw

Thank You Ricky and Karen!

coffeemom
16 years ago

Yet another wonderful time was had by all. "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!" I was in hog heaven with my pulled pork on a bun with a dill pickle chip.

But how did I end up with a car full of plants! I'm not a newbie, I know your tricks. It's like one of those parties where they make sure there's always a drink in your hand, only substitute plant for drink. I say "Hi how are ya?" and end up holding a plant. I say "Food's out!" and I'm holding a coleus. Very tricky....

Thanks really for all the plants you all shared. I loved seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I learned lots of new ideas from David McClean about grafting.

It was a great time and I love you guys!

Comments (28)

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Thank you Ricky and Karen and everyone else. I swear the swaps just keep getting better and better! I had so much fun, and I know exactly what you mean Kristi. I went out to announce David's lecture was about to begin and 20 minutes later I remembered why I was there. LOL. It's just so much fun talking about plants with other OCD plant people! Thank you all for your generousity and for being such great people!

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

What a blast we had today! Even the menfolk enjoyed themselves (telling lies I suspect, from the roars of laughter we kept hearing):)

Ricky's gardens grew tremendously since the last swap, and looked gorgeous.

The food was plentiful and utterly delicious! Who made that yummy corn/tomato/pepper salad? I ate 2 big helpings.

The propagation class was entertaining to say the least! David could be a successful stand-up comic! I learned a lot of helpful tips.

Thanks so much Ricky and Karen for hosting this party. It was a wonderful way to spend a perfect day, with friends, plants, good food, in beautiful surroundings.

Loved seeing all the GW folks. You all are just the nicest people!

I came home with way too many plants, as usual.

Tired, content, relaxed... Ahhh. What a great day.....

Lisa

• Related Discussions

Karen, thank you

Q

Comments (4)
    Hiya Dorie, Was her problem, but I'll tell ya; she was having 'puter problems & some w/ Internet Explorer (IE). I suggested she try Google Chrome (GC) which I'd heard, read & experienced as being much less problematic than IE. Seems to have helped her.
    ...See More

O.T. Thank you Karen so much

Q

Comments (5)
    Karen Good morning, well Girl, I have got most everything planted, flower pots washed, now today I am soaking seeds,it will be Monday before we get back over 60 degrees don't work too hard, getting the rest of your Brugs in the ground, Oh I planted Angel summerlove in a good spot, so it should grow fast, the sun is out, have a great day Hugs Elizabeth
    ...See More

WANTED: Ricky's Fall Swap-a-que - call for invitations

Q

Comments (26)
    If you don't mind I would love to come. I have not been to a swap ihere in a couple of years but used to host them when I was living in CT. I do have some stuff already potted up but will start getting more stuff together and will post a list. Oh yeah, is anyone making baked beans? Or tater salad? Cherie in Jupiter Farms
    ...See More

Many Thanks, Ricky and Karen

Q

Comments (29)
    It really was a wonderful day everyone. I loved seeing all of you. Thanks for having us over, Ricky and Karen. And for going through all you did to have such a great get together. Ricky, thanks for putting together your presentation on the Tyranny of Plants. Nice download too for anyone who couldn't be there. I noticed too, that there were no cameras present. Guess we were having too much fun talking, laughing, eating, and just enjoying the gorgeous day!
    ...See More
  • katkin_gw
    16 years ago

I just got the car unloaded. Wow, I did I come home with plants. Thank you all who shared their garden with me.

Ricky & Karen, you guys are the best! Thank you so much for hosting this yet again. I had a blast. And even learned something from David too.

And a special thank you to Kristi for getting that croton for me. It was way bigger then I thought it would be. That surely was a good deal. ;o)

Hope somebody got some pictures.

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Thanks for everything..........had a great time.

I was so nice to see some of the new ( to me) people :) nice to put a face to the names on the post.

Cindy.....I think you left a pulmeria... I got it ! What color is it.?

Ricky , there was a plant the you gave me ( that someone left) Do you remember what you thought it was ?

Had fun !

D`Ann

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Where are the pictures???!! Those of us that couldn't make it want to see what we missed.

Sign me Bummed DH had his panties in a bunch!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

(Putting down his second dram of single malt)

The fastest 6 hours of my life! Wow! Thanks to everyone for coming. Yes, I did get far more plants than I needed, but they'll go in the ground tomorrow.

(Pauses for a sip)

Lisa - the Mac and Cheese was outstanding! I haven't had it in around 20 years and after 4 servings of it, I remembered why!
    Thank you everyone for the plants. A quick survey of the garden revealed no stragglers or interlopers, although Chippi left the viney thing on the patio. No problem, I'm going to wrap it around one of the coconut palms and get out of its way.
    Someone left a small blue and white cooler. And various desserts seem to have hidden in the deep recesses of the refrigerator. Karen says she'll take care of them. I'm not sure what that means, but the cheese cake is now gone - burp.

For those who were exposed to David McLean for the first time today, you can imagine how we, his students, felt when he announced his retirement from BCC. I enjoy just getting on the phone with him for ten minutes every now and then. I urge you to visit his nursery if you're down this way. A half hour with David is an educational experience not to be missed.

(Another sip, notices that there's only one left)

I glad everyone had a great time. Welcome again to the those who came to a swap for their first time, you're how these continue to grow, spread the word. I'm running out of whisky now, so I'll say thanks and see you all in the spring!

• carmiewest
    16 years ago

Ricky and Karen,

Thank you so much for opening your house and gardens to us. Everything was perfect. The pork was so good! The cooler is mine. I can pick it up any time, just tell me when. You could also just leave it at the gate if it is more convenient for you. I will email you privately.

David McLean's talk was very interesting and I learned a lot. He is a funny guy!

I had a fantastic time, talking to old friends and meeting new ones. The food was delicious like always. Lisa, I made one salad with corn, beans, peppers and tomato. It was in a red bowl. I also made the white cookies. Thank you so much for bringing your yummy fruit for us to taste. You are definitely the fruit queen. I ate so many cherries and that papaya was very sweet. I can't wait to eat the one you gave me.

Marion, we missed you! Hope to see you soon.

Thank you to everybody that gave me plants. I also said I was not going to take any plants and I ended up with some beauties. Thank you!! I will try to post pictures later.

Carmen

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Ricky and Karen!
    Your swaps are always so much fun. Thank you again for a wonderful time!!!
    Everybody thank you for all my new beautiful plants, I am so happy with my trades.
    Cherie, your grandma story is so lovely. Thank you for sharing it with me, I will treasure your gram begonia in my garden. Thanks for all the other plants as well.
    Lisa, yes you are such an inspiration with all these lovely edibles. My little guy loved the mutinga, so I will plant some seeds tomorrow. And the papaya was just perfect and so yummy.
    Sorry I could not stay longer, and missed the lecture.
    It was great seeing everybody, you guys, are like a family to me. Looking forward to see you next time.
    Veronika

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Carmen and Cindee - thanks for the chimes and the trivet, very nice. Karen just showed them to me. Carmen, I work from home, so anytime you're in the area, just give me a call 488-4815.

Too bad you guys didn't stay for cocktails. I just opened a bottle of a 21 year old Longmorne that smells like heaven. Alas, I'll have to drink your share.

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

Thank-you Ricky & Karen, for hosting such a wonderful swap. You guys go all out! Really enjoyed the guest speaker. Food was awesome and your yard and home are gorgeous.

I enjoyed meeting everyone and came home with a lot of great plants. Just finished getting things potted up. My husband hooked up some lights for me out in my potting area so I could see what I was doing. Got everything done except some coleus clippings which I stuck in water (I know, that's bad, but I'll take care of them tomorrow.)

Cherie

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Thanks for having us Ricky & Karen. We had a great time. William met other guys with the title of driver/plant mover :->, he got a kick out of it.

Trying to watch 3 fooball games at the same time is not as easy as you think.

I intened to only go home with a piece of sunflower tree. I wound up with two of those and numerous other plants. Thanks everyone!

I did take photos throughout the day and William took some during the lecture but for some reason I forgot to take a picture of the food and the dessert bar, oh well.

I think I have also been sold on using Picasa to upload my pictures. Simple as pie and one click creates a web album. Hopefully the link will work correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap photos

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

First and foremost, Ricky and Karen you are fabulous hosts! Your yard is beautiful and your house is welcoming and relaxing. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Now to the rest of you - I am overwhelmed by your knowledge and generosity. Lisa! Your tropical fuit display and knowledge is awesome! I will enjoy my plants tremendously. BTW I stopped by a fellow GWebber named Scott's house on the way home and he showed me all of his tropical fruits - mnay of which he got from you. So your legacy is spreading...

Evelyn and Veronika - I must see your yards some day as you have plants that just resonate with me... And Veronika I think the heliconia you gave me is my favorite of the day.

D'Ann and Butterfly Gardener - I now am the owner of an amazing array of coleus - I guess I have the bug now...

Cindee - I love the blue pea vine - thanks!

Coffemom - You gave me the heliconia with the four starts but I cannot recall what it is!! Can you help?

Cherie and friend - I wil enjoy the Heliconia Rosata - I have been looking for one of those :-)

Leslie (?) thanks for the cassia fistula tree - you had such an unusual collection. This tree may not be hardy where I am but I will give it a try!

Katkin I wil enjoy the Simpson Stopper and Thorn Tree. And Tony thanks for the cool basil.

Finally D'Ann - your story of how you and Butterfly just up and went to the Master Gardener's class - taking off one day a week from work to do so - is an inspiration to me! I am going to see if I cannot work that in and make it a priority in the near future.

Thanks again and I hope some of my plants made someone half as happy as I am tonight - like Christmas and my birthday all in one!

Anita

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Karen/Ricky! Thanks for arranging yet another fine get-together. It was very worth the trip.

The Orlando gang apologizes for not being able to stay for David's presentation, it sounds like it was the perfect topic for what we all do in our gardens.

Hope you find the liquid bromeliad refreshing.

Have a great week.

Tony / Mary Beth..........

PS, thanks for signing the books !

PSS ... GREAT SEEING Everyone again!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

OH MY, Where to begin??? Um let me go get a cold one, this may take some time!

Karen and Ricky, I am so honored to be part of your plant family! You guys are so gracious and loving...can I adopt you? Ricky, you MUST tell me how you did the chicken, I brought 2 pieces home and the guys went NUTZ! They said, "so did you learn how to make chicken like this??" You guys are so so sweet, I hope you like the trivet. (Ricky, I will send you a private e-mail, I didn't get Barbs plants you were trading with her and I feel awful about it!)

Coffemom and Kat, my sisters!! I cannot get enough of seeing you and being with you! Kristi, thank you for helping me!! The mags hopefully will help recupe time after surgery. Kat the pillow case is so special! I love it, my dear and the Amaryllis book will surely be devoured in a day or 2!

Mon Cherie!! I could not believe you gave me those stunning orchids! I brought them into the house and Dennis said "WOW, how much did that purple one cost?? You really have to think of that driftwood thingy you want to put on the pool wall!" You guys, I drew a sketch of a driftwood orchid wall art thingy and then a couple days later, Ricky posted a pic of his TREE OF LIFE, near his front door. I thought he climed inside my head! I just wish I could find driftwood!

Tony, why does Saint Mary Beth get enjoyment out of seeing me beat on you??? lol KINKY! Dennis saw the mulberry in my car and said GEEZE! You got a freakin greenhouse in there. When I told him it was a Mulberry he said COOL! Then when he saw the Ice Cream nanna from Helen, I thought he was going to start digging! He's as happy as I am.

I got fouled up coming home. There are so many more cross over/under fruit loops on sawgrass, that I kept losing 75! So I lost over a 1/2 hour! I was so glad to finally get home.

Laraine-You are a sweetie and it is always a treat to see you. Thanks so much for sharing.

I hope my Amaryllis sex training helped those of you interested. Yes that's me in the photos, drawing and with a Bud Light in my crotch! LOL

So many more people to thank but I am so tired. I felt like a queen holding court. You have all been so kind to me and seeing Katkin and Lisa(Fruit Queen) again was just wonderful. Thanks so much for the bog-o-fruit. I have a mouthful of barbados cherry seeds to start. More tomorrow. I can't believe I took my camera but not one photo! I am not even sure my camera is in the car among the foliage.

God bless you all and thank you for a wonderful day!

Love..Cindee

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

Cindee don't worry about the plants, no big deal. Ricky contacted me and he's going to put them in the mist bed so they'll have roots at the next swap. Now all I need is someone to pick them up or possibly just mail them to me.
    It sound like everyone had a good time.
    Barb

• fl_southpaw
    16 years ago

Dear Ricky and Karen:

Thanks so much for welcoming me to your swap. What a lovely, generous bunch the GWers are. I want to especially thank D'Ann (loved your earrings--almost as much as your cool coleus), Evelyn (thanks for the 'ears'--I've been wanting them), Kathy (you have natural warmth), Kristi (you look beautiful, girl), Cindee (I'll let you know if my amaryllis ever blooms), and Tony (very down to earth--no pun intended). Thank you all for making me feel a part of this exceptional group. I came away with a lot more plants than I thought. Next time, I'll have my "revenge". ;-D

I only wish I could have stayed but my son's Eagle ceremony created a dilemma.

Julie in WPB

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

That was an awesome day! Thanks Ricky for opening your very inspiring 'jungle' and your beautiful home for us. Your BBQ is really yummy, I will be coming next time just for the food ;-)

Thanks to all that swapped plants with me, I came with a car full and left with a car full *laughs* my DH gave up on me, he just keeps shaking his head ....

Love you all,

Evelyn

• carmiewest
    16 years ago

Here are the photos I took. I wish I had taken more.

Carmen

Here is a link that might be useful: Carmen's pictures

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

great photos :-)
    Since others took pictures I just snapped a few. There is the driftwood attached to his entrance wall, where would I find such a piece of wood? any ideas?

Evelyn

Here is a link that might be useful: at Ricky's

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Evelyn - the big driftwood on the courtyard wall is made up of 3 smaller pieces. I found them at Delray Garden Center.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

I am gonna sneak over in the night and get that big Honkin' Tree Of Life' on night Ricky, I swear I will!! lol

Carmen! I clicked on the slide show and your pics are fabulous. I am so glad you showed the Lisa Farmers Market table. Didn't she have a whole table of delightful eye and taste candy?? You are always a treat to be around. Thank you for keeping me company. Love ya!

• pamelainfl
    16 years ago

I also want to say a big thank you to Ricky and Karen...and everyone whom I swapped plants with. My DH even had a great time. On the way home he turned to me and said "So when's the next one?" The next step is to get him in the yard with me. LOL

• artyfruit
    16 years ago

Thank you for genuine hospitality and the welcome........ to see your beautiful garden and educate me a little. As a new person attending I felt comfortable and hope to attend another swap. And the pulled pork delicious--can I get that recipe? Barbara

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Smoked Boston Butt:

The night before cooking
    Rub butt with a generous helping of Boca Boys Dry Rub (see my website for details) and place, covered, in the refrigerator.

Cooking/Smoking
    Smoke for an hour to an hour and a half per pound over charcoal and hickory chunks, until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees. Remove from heat and wrap in foil for at least an hour.

Pull apart, sauce and serve.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

"Rub butt with a generous helping of Boca Boys Dry Rub" Ricky, isn't that kinda itchy when you are trying to sleep???? Bwaahaahahaha!

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

doesnt make mention of washing hands either. I thought it might burn more than itch.

Think I will have salad next time

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Hi Ricky!

Just planted the mousetrap tree today! I had to really figure out the perfect place for it. LOL. It looks great and Steve said he loves your tree so I'm hoping my little guy does as well as yours. Do you happen to have a picture of your that you could post so I can see how you guided it's shape? :)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

wrf - "guided it's shape" - are you kidding? That's not my job. The only time I guide anything, it's guests through the garden! I occasionally trim limbs if they get in my way or if I'm going after a single leader tree. But my Uncarina has had no guidance from me. Don't fool with Mother Nature!

Here's a picture from last year:

{{gwi:965482}}