SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Big Birds Scaring Hummers?

eigdeh
13 years ago

I have heard people say that birds scare hummers away, and I have read that some say they coexist quite well. I am wondering though if the birds are scaring away the hummers here.

I do not feed the regular birds here, but I have a birdbath that gets tons of visits and it is about 15 feet from the closest hummingbird feeder. I find that the bath mostly attracts bigger birds from some blackbirds with slight blue tint to their coat, bluejays, cardinals, doves, etc. On occasion some of these birds will perch on the same branches that the hummers go to before going to the feeders.

Could this be keeping the hummers away?

Side note... I change the water several times a day since some birds seem to enjoy pooping in the water. I have seen some of these blackbirds actually drink and, to me what looks to be on purpose, turn around and poop in the water. Wonder if it is a territorial thing?

Wonder if I should stop with the bath to see what is going on? I have been filling the bath for 14 years, though I am sure these birds would find another source.

Comments (15)