SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pabrocb_gw

Newbie Gone Wild

pabrocb
12 years ago

In the past three winters, I've torn out, replanted, and have had some success and some failures.

I would like some help. I'm seasonal, live in Sarasota from Oct. 1st to May 1st, but fly down once a month in the summer to see my mother.

"Right plant, right place" is something I missed. I think my biggest problem is planting cape honeysuckle in a place it likes too much. I need to cut it way back or move it, but the bees are having a party. There is also a plant in the back that I put in and it's taking over the yard. Again, butterflies love it, so I'll won't cut it back until it stops blooming. Here it is:

In the front yard, the colors are fun, but the Cape Honeysuckle is taking over. I wanted the citrus trees to make a "second story".

I don't know what's going to happen to the sweet potato vine. It's not as lush as it was. It did protect some plants that can't handle the western exposure out front:

Along the side of the house, under some trees, I've planted Bromeliads. Only problem is the tree constantly drops leaves into the cups. I love that banana.:

Back of property, along fence and pool cage. I changed this all around after last year's frost. I was so mad. I didn't want to look at dead vegetation.

This is just fun. The ginormous orchid cactus in the big oak on the corner has yellow flowers that bloom at night, I've only seen them bloom in October and early November.

And some shots of "the farm":

Carol B. in Sarasota

Comments (19)