SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

Container Grown Hosta

highjack
15 years ago

Recently there have been a couple of threads regarding growing hosta in containers so I thought I would share my experiences with it. I garden in zone 6a and use every type of container from whiskey barrels to very small hypertufa pots.

Here are pics from '05 and comparison pics taken this week.

{{gwi:979737}} {{gwi:979738}} {{gwi:979739}} {{gwi:979740}} {{gwi:979741}} {{gwi:979742}}

Pics taken this week.

{{gwi:979743}} {{gwi:979744}} {{gwi:172412}} {{gwi:979746}} {{gwi:979747}} {{gwi:979748}} {{gwi:979749}}

This area showing a Titanic was planted in '04 and then a pic taken this week.

{{gwi:979751}} {{gwi:979755}} {{gwi:979757}}

If you do container gardening the most important things to consider are drainage and potting media. I use pine bark soil conditioner and NO garden soil or bagged soil or peat moss. In the winter, the containers must be free draining. There must be air pockets created by the various sizes in the media so there is always drainage. It is when the media stops the drainage there are problems. The fine texture of the clay soil/peat moss will make the container act like a container with no drainage holes.

The down side of container growing is the additional watering. The whiskey barrels will need to be watered every two weeks, this size container {{gwi:979760}} is watered once a week and these smaller hypertufa once a day {{gwi:921555}}

Another downside to the containers is they WILL break dormancy sooner than most of their brethren in the ground.

I fertilize sometime in the spring with Osmocote.

Some of my comtainers have been planted since '03. This spring I had to raise some of the plants and when I unpotted them was quite happy with the condition of the potting media. I was afraid it would be broken down and starting to compost in the pot but was still very good.

As stated in the beginning, this works for me in this zone but have no experience or knowledge about anything north of me.

Comments (11)