SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

Has anyone ever heard of a Kossica hosta?

bettylu_zone6a
13 years ago

My gardening group volunteers at a nature reserve and they had a plant sale recently. At the end of the sale, they marked down what was left and I bought a nice size division of a blue hosta that was marked Kossica. I had never heard of it, but since I couldn't check it out online (since I was at the nature reserve and don't have a fancy iphone) I bought it for $2.50 along with another hosta marked Red October for $3.00.

When I got home and looked Kossica up, I could not find any reference anywhere - and in looking at the various pictures of blues, I feel it looks suspiciously like Krossa Regal. I have no idea if I will get bloom scapes on it this year, as the hosta had probably been divided and potted up just before the sale and there were not a lot of roots on it.

After looking up Red October and reading about the red petioles, I realized that the plant I bought does not have them, so I guess I missed that one too. I don't feel too bad about the minimal amount of money, it went to a good cause, but now it is going to bug me that I don't know what I got!

As I understand it, the knowledgeable people here need the following information to try to figure out what a hosta is:

1. Picture with ruler or yardstick to show size

2. Count the veins

3. Picture of bloom scape with height and size of blossom noted

4. Time of bloom?

5. Anything else?

Neither plant is blooming yet - so I don't know if I should try to get a picture to post now or wait till later.

Suggestions?

BettyLu

Comments (6)