SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

So many duplicates.. A Rant

bkay2000
12 years ago

I don't get it. There are so many duplicate looking hostas. Why do they keep registering the same hosta over and over again? I realize there are subtle differences in hosta that I can't see. I can see the difference in Paradigm, September Sun, and Guacamole. However, a friend was looking at them and couldn't tell the difference. They're just light green with a dark green edge to him. How many people would want both Minute Man and Patriot, if they could tell the difference? My Minute Man is young, so it may change, but it's very similar in color to Francee. I just bought Blue Cadet and it looks pretty much like Blue Mouse Ears, just a little pointier. I suppose I should have noticed that before I bought another, but I didn't. One was at home and one was at the nursery. I was just looking at Lakeside Old Smokey on the HL. It looks just like Queen of the Seas. How about Dream Queen and Thunderbolt?

Maybe I'm just cranky. I was at the nursery today and everything looked pretty much like something I already have, just with a different name. I realize this is heresy, but how many medium blue hosta with white edges can you tell from the other medium blue hostas with white edges?

I guess the question starting forming for me when Chris explained the differences between Minute Man and Patriot. If the differences are that subtle, is it really a sport? Is it really different enough to warrant a new name and a PPAF?

Yes, I am just cranky today. However, it doesn't make sense. How many hostaholics are there in the world that have to have one of everything? It seems to me like it would be a small market to sell to.

bkay

Comments (37)