SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

Does anyone else garden under trees?

JustJoeyGirl
18 years ago

I seem to have a knack for gardening where I shouldn't. When we bought our house, there was an area along the driveway lined with large trees. The grass wouldn't grow there and it would be a dust cloud each time we mowed. Moss would occasionaly grow there where the edges met 'real grass'. The gravel driveway seemed to have been shoveled into that area each winter prior to our arrival. So what do I do being a new homeowner and new gardener? Try to plant a garden there....geez, Louise, you'd think I'd figure out that grass isn't growing there, that a garden sure isn't going to be happy there. The area is filled with roots from the trees, hard, dry compacted soil that you can barely get a trowel into. Know what I planted there the first year? Well, how's astilbe for starters? Ha ha ha, now I laugh because I know better, but it took many years since to know that was a deadly error and a waste of beautiful plantlife. I persevered, and I still have a garden under the oaks and one really pain in the neck hickory ( I think) with the chains of pollen coated things that fall into the garden each spring. Anyway, now I try to gear some of the plants to the conditions there, and I try to improve them as much as I can..compost mostly in the spring, mulch and I water it a lot more...no water gets through that thick canopy of leaves.

I also didn't learn soon enough. I started a 'White (moon) garden....you guessed it, under the canopy of high trees...which the moonlight doesn't touch all the time, sometimes yes, but most times no. I do like the garden and at dawn and dusk it is magical to me..but another under tree experience that 'live and learn' falls under.

Slowly I rescue some of the plants that have been friendly to me and lived all these years under the trees. For instance I have one coneflower that is about 8 years old, and it is so small and puts up one or two flower stalks a year..but it lives and I cherish those flowers. I think of moving it, but it has proven strong over the years, so I leave it to be the strong little coneflower that it is, and I appreciate the two flowers a year. (unfortunately so does the local ground hog..but I spray now, and that issue is mostly under control....dare I say it, lest he's out there chomping as I type.)

Well, anyway, this got long, but I was wondering if any of you garden under the canopy of trees, your experiences with it, and suggestions for tough, but beautiful plants to continue the insanity.. Thanks for your thoughts....JoAnn

ps...I do have gardens that are out in the open now..amazing how well they grow.

Comments (17)

Sponsored