SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Anyone else gardening with articifial knees or hips?

Noni Morrison
16 years ago

I am recovering from my first knee replacement but have some questions. IT has been drummed into my head how careful I have to be about getting any infection under my skinbecause of the danger that it will travel to the knee and cause a hard to treat infection. I have close to 200 roses and have never been vry worried about scratches before. So IBought a pr of West Country rose gauntlets, and they are great, but what about the rest of my body? I so frequently get snagged from behind, or back into a different rose bush, or a long branch I Cut snakes around my legs as I AM removing it. And.I Can not stand to be overheated in the garden when the weather warms!

ANyone have ideas on how I Can make my garden more body and joint friendly? I have one area that is my front garden consisting of amorphous shaped beds with grass paths between, and Hybrid teas and floribuneas mixed with lilies and other perennials. Then there is the ENglish ROse Garden planted for Cutting roses...5 rows spaced not quite far enough apart with about 36 3 yr old bushes. I have moved some of the most gangly ones out to other areas, but am running out of room to move then, and of course ordered more this winter! Then I Have other fence dwelling octopi like WIndrush, Teasing Georgia, and Pat AUstin, that I Mostly let grow how they will after taking out deadwood in the spring.

WOuld it help to prune the roses hybrid teas shorter , or train them in a particular way? What are your thoughts on how to handle my beloved roses without endangering myself.

The new knee is working better then the remaining old one after 3 weeks, and I Look forward to getting it replaced soon too. And I think directing my Non Gardener husband to make each cut for me from a distance would be so excruciating we would never recover! Besides, I LIKE working with my roses!

Sure hope someone else has some good ideas!{{gwi:228048}},{{gwi:228049}}

Comments (8)