SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tristate_gw

Planting wild huckleberries from forest into yard

tristate
16 years ago

(I post alot but man do I love this forum!)

My 84 year old grandma has been picking wild huckleberries for longer than I can remember. She goes deep into tick infested woods for hours picking plastic containers full of berries. It's funny- she's got "her" bushes which she knows give good berries and which she won't show to anyone outside the family and which she won't visit if she thinks someone has followed her into the woods. Only 2 years ago when we met with a naturalist at Minnewaska did we learn they were hucklerries and not blueberries. She's getting older and has been diagnosed w/parkinsons. i want to make it easier for her by bringing the berries onto the property where she can get to them. she told me she tried once to transplant a small bush but it refused to grow. i would like to know if anyone knows anything about how to get these wild ones to grow. Are they like peonies which won't thrive if they're moved? Do I start with seedings? seeds? what's very important is that i don't want to buy a bush from hd or a nursery. i want the real wild version.

thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner