SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tristate_gw

Best composter for weekend gardener..

tristate
16 years ago

OK, so I've never had a composter and am just starting a garden about 12'x15'. The fertility of the soil where I have planned the garden registered 0% (yes, ZERO) on the fertility/PH soil tester I used. (I think grandma's 25 years of planting the same crops in the same place has just sapped the life out of land). So to start rehabilitating, I picked up some cow manure from the local farmer (the one time i'm happy to say i got sh*t on my b-day!). I have a couple of bags of garden soil and I plan on using a raised garden bed system. This I figure, will let me use the cleared space, give the earth a rest and let me plant the nutrient needy plants inside the boxes, and not overstimulate the crops that prefer poorer soil (like corn I read).

ANYWAY, now I'm looking at composters and have read reviews and am almost set on the Urban Compost Tumbler b/c of the good reviews and b/c of the low maintenance required. Since we're only at the house on weekends, I need something that'll be ok sitting and rotting all its own for the week. It'll sit in the full sun and I can dampen the load on weekends. My one concern was one extensive review which said the tumbler is almost impossible to rotate filled b/c it's so heavy. Anyone who has anything to suggest or reviews for a composter to fit my needs- I'd be happy to hear it..

Comments (5)

Sponsored