SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynbornman

really old, overgrown, never divided hostas..need some advice

lynbornman
17 years ago

A girl on the ohio valley forum bought a house which came with a bunch of old hostas that are very overgrown and certainly have never been divided. Anyhow, she posted that she didn't want them so I went and picked them up (she lived very close to me). Now I have about 7 very large clumps of hostas (variegated and solid green, medium to small size) - no clue what kind they actually are. They are almost fully leafed out. They look a little ridiculous as the leaves are sooo crowded. I read the FAQ on how to divide hostas and I don't know if I should laugh or cry....there is NO WAY I could do that with these clumps. To be honest I inherited a similar clump from my brother last year and couldn't do a thing with it so I took a hacksaw (cringe) and cut the clump into 4. It was not a happy plant when I did that but all four of them are coming back fantastically this year. So not knowing a single thing about hostas...can I do this again and hope for the best or does anyone have a better suggestion. Thanks,Lyn

Comments (14)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals