SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithnoskill

Mind sharing your bug-killing secrets for veggie gardens?

I can't tell you how much this forum is helping me. As a new gardener I'm reading it like a maniac and trying to soak up everything I can.

The one thing I still don't have down yet is how I should be treating my garden to prevent my veggie plants from getting eaten. I know something is eating my plants. I see holes in the leaves and my 2 broccoli plants are now just two brown stumps - they went from broccoli leaves to stumps in a week. I've been out at sunrise, midday and sunset and searched around the plants, under the leaves and around the garden for the culprits. I've only found tomato hornworm caterpillars and so far we've managed to keep them at bay. If I can't find whatever else is eating my plants and causing holey leaves, how do I know what to put on the plants?

I've heard to spray with soap monthly (never tried it) - I've heard to buy generic insect killer... ugh... I just don't know what to do.

I'm trying to figure out if "seasoned" veggie gardeners use something monthly or weekly just to keep beasties at bay as a preventative measure.

Right now we use nothing and we're fighting a losing battle.

Any advice on what to buy and when to use it would be great.

THANKS again for your help!!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz