SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

Free yard work...mixed blessing

junkyardgirl
15 years ago

My neighbor's BF showed up at my house this morning to say that he and his crew were going to come over and clean up my yard for free. I was just about to walk out to go to the grocery store, so I left them to it, thinking "how much damage can they do?" I couldn't wait around, because not having a car, I had to go when my neighbor wanted to go.

I got back about an hour later. Yard looked better, no doubt. They trimmed up the palm trees that had been looking like crap for years, and mowed and edged. I walked around the side of the yard, and there was a guy standing there with a shovel and ALL of my lemon grass was gone! O.K., that's not so bad. It needed cutting back. They had whacked it down to about 6 inches, but lemon grass is tough, so I just had him replant some. A couple needed to come out anyway. Then I noticed the soaker hose, in several pieces on the ground. Why would someone chop up my soaker hose? I was in shock! I took all the pieces (about 6) and put them into the back yard, but honestly, I don't know if it's worth fixing. 100' of soaker hose...gone. I don't even think I got all the pieces, because this was trash pickup day, and a couple of the containers I had out front had already been picked up, so probably some of the soaker hose went with it. There surely doesn't look like I have 100' of it.

I walked into the back yard to find him whacking down my red pine cone ginger and some bromeliads with a weed whacker. I had told him before I left not to go into the back yard, because it was in project status. So I asked him politely to STOP in the back yard.

Looking further, he had mowed down my baby plum trees (second time this year they've been mowed down by someone) and my pink dwarf poinciana. The plum trees will come back. The poinciana, I dug up and put into a pot, but honestly, I don't hold out much hope for it. It was just starting to grow well.

I did stop him before he hit the side flower bed, and told him to leave it alone. Upon further inspection, they weed whacked one of my coonties in the front bed, all of my four o'clocks and the coleus and the native vincas I had so lovingly dug up from around the yard as seedlings and planted in there this year.

Why would someone take a weed whacker to a flower bed? Who knows. 4 o'clocks will come back, but the vincas are gone, I guess.

They cut back my jatropha bush to nothing, which was o.k., but they came close to digging it out because they thought it was ... you won't believe this ... a brazilian pepper.

They pulled up my thryallis that I had planted this year, the one I thought was dead and had nursed back to health. It was about 2 feet tall, and blooming beautifully.

I had some old carpet down in the back yard for weed control, and they pulled it up and threw it away. I dragged it back out of the pile and put it back where I had it.

They knocked about 5 of my starfruit off the tree and smashed them into the ground. Well, not so much of a loss, considering that there are so many on it, but still.

They didn't take out the dead elderberry tree. I find that strange considering what they DID take out.

I should count my blessings, I know, and it's only plants. Not like I dont have any more, but you know how sentimental we get about things.

All in all, not such a catastrophe, and a few hundred dollars worth of free work, so I'm just gonna say "God is good" and go from there.

I'll post pics later of how the yard looks now...before it gets out of control again.

Comments (13)