SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Do we have any other hobbies?

newyorkrita
15 years ago

We all know we are daylily crazy or we would not be here. Do daylilies qualify as hobby #1 :-)) But truely I would say my #1 hobby is gardening as daylilies, as obsessed as I am with them, are only part of the garden around here. But I was thinking it would be fun to see what other hobbies we might have around here.

My second hobby after gardening would be feeding and watching the backyard songbirds. I have suet put out all year except for the hottest month of August and get a variety of woodpeckers eating. Plus the Mockingbird has learned to eat suet also. Chicadees and wrens like it too. Then I have my Thistle Feeder for the Goldfinches. Also very popular with the Goldfinches are the sunflowers I plant each year. They start eating on the seeds before they are even fully ripe.

July and August I usually skip the birdseed but the rest of the time I feed birdseed just scattered on the ground. I actually use my driveway and feed more heavily in the winter. Beside the cheepo birdseed mix like you get at the supermarkets, I buy cracked corn in 50 pound bags at the feed store (were you get horse supplies) and scatter that all winter. The squirrels and Morning Doves love the crackled corn. I always have at least a dozen of them around and at least four squirrels.

Now in the spring and summer between work that pays the bills and my garden, I really have no time leaftover. But in the winter I usually have some time as my outdoor time is gone and I am not a winter person. So I love to read. I go thru novels like crazy if I have any time, I love fiction. Like my taste in gardening, my taste in fiction is varied and I don't read just one type. I read romance, thrillers, mystery, alittle sci-fi and fantasy and all sorts of things. Of course I have my favorite authors and my favorite books to read would be ones that are part of an ongoing series. This way you really get to know the characters and they feel like old friends.

Truely I love to read and like to hold a book in my hand, reading brings such adventures and magical places. Gotta have more than one hobby in life as much fun as gardening is, I really love a good book.

Comments (42)

• daylilyfanatic4
    15 years ago

Hi, gardening is #1 hobby for me also then come bird watching weather and astronomy.

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Well I'll have to go with daylilies and gardening in general as my #1 hobby, and living in the south, I'm able to enjoy it about 10 months out of the year. Bird watching and feeding goes hand in hand with gardening for me....I feed all kinds of birds, including hummers until they migrate farther south each fall. Photography is another hobby of mine, which again, goes along with my gardening hobby. :) I love to photograph my gardens, the birds, butterflys and other wildlife I find in my garden.
    When the weather permits, however, I love to ride my ATV. My DH and I have ridden lots of trails in PA where he's working now and also in AL. We belong to an ATV riders club and have a blast. I often ride in my local area on dirt roads, logging roads and power line cuts. It's so much fun. My grandkids love to bring their ATV's to my house and we ride together. They think "Nanna" is the coolest grandma around, with her own ATV! :)
    Jan

• Related Discussions

What other hobbies do you have?

Q

Comments (29)
    This is a great thread. Karaoke Quilterswhat fun! I was about to say you can add me to the list of readers, but then I remembered the stack pile of books overflowing the coal bucket next to my bed......books I've bought but haven't yet read. So I guess you can add me to the list of book buyers. I love books and love to read, but I don't spend as much time at it as I used to. I do, however, keep an audio book, usually a mystery, in my car at all times. In winter I love old-fahioned rug hooking, the kind that uses strips of cloth cut from old woolen clothing. My current project is a table mat I started in 1997. (I took a long hiatus from hooking.) It shows the seven cats we had at the time, the ones we were always telling to "get off the table!" I grew up in my dad's darkroom, and love photography. I swore I'd never get a digital camera (silly me), but that went by the boards when I worked as a newspaper reporter/photographer and had to process my own film. When we switched to digital, that was that. I'll link to my Flickr page below. I inherited my dad's photos, negatives, and slides, and bought a sophisticated scanner with the intention of digitizing some of his work. The prospect of the learning curve has me somewhat paralyzed, though. I suppose one of these days I'll plug it in . . . When my kids were growing up we had a huge vegetable garden and I spent endless hours freezing and canning and drying and cooking. I made three meals a day from scratch every day. But I loved it. I also sewed a lot of their clothes, and some of mine, and did crafts with them all the time. I can't imagine having that much energy! Well, I know I never will again. These days I'm cooking for one, and it isn't nearly as much fun. I do have the occasional creative spurt in the kitchen, but not often. I would still love to bake, but like someone else who posted, I have to limit carbs so that's out. I enjoy blogging. I'm not skilled at genealogy, but I love to poke around the Internet looking for bits and pieces of family information. In that way, I managed to trace one line back to around 1720. Because I was so moved to see the gravestones of two of my great-great-grandparents on the Internet, and grateful to whomever took those pictures, I volunteered at Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness to photograph gravestones in my rural area. I received my first assignment last week. I've belonged to a poetry group since the late 1980s, and although these days the focus of my writing is prose, rather than poetry, I'm still active with the group. In fact, I'm organizing an event to take place this week, and the Scranton paper published a small interview with me about it this morning. Here's the online version. Amazing how many things trump housework! Here is a link that might be useful: my Flickr photos
    ...See More

What kind of dog do we have, mixed breed any guesses

Q

Comments (34)
    I'm going with aussie mix (or any shepherd/collie mix) as well. The docked tail is a sign, as well as the high set ears that stand out. Also, the intelligence you describe totally points to aussie - one of the smartest breeds around. (My own aussie is shaved, and his ears totally look like your dog's). The "face-splitting" grin is a big aussie give-away. See if he has one of those :)
    ...See More

How do people that constantly have problems keep up with the hobby?

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Mike, it's great to see you again in the Hoya forum. I've been busy and still have lots going on with my son, but I stay (nicely) distracted with my Hoyas and Citrus trees. My contractor crapped out on me so my greenhouse didn't get built for the winter:-( It's actually okay because I saved a lot of money and wintered my citrus in the garage this year. Surprisingly, they are doing great! I have 15 packed into the garage so my husband has to leave his car out in the driveway lol One of my Myers (the 16th tree) completely defoliated and I'm not quite sure why. I put it outside and the trunk and stems are still green so I'm hoping it grows leaves again this spring. i did find some mites the other week, so I did a complete foliar spray with Oberon and figured I may as well give them a good drink of systemic. The garage smells heavenly because several trees have blossomed and I'm getting some flush of leaf growth as well. The trees are under fluorescent lights for at least 12 hours a day and the garage stays at 55-60 degrees (when it's real cold) and the humidity is anywhere from 45 to 60%. Here are a few pictures: Please excuse all the junk in the background.
    ...See More

Do you have hobbies other than gardening?

Q

Comments (3)
    My hobbies are creative and dependent on my physical and mental abilities each day. Gardening, seed starting under lights, house plants, quilting, fiber art, sewing, beadwork, swing dancing, reading, science, nature walks and cooking. You're still a cook when you use tools, just like in the garden. What makes it creative is the combo of ingredients, the actual cooking ability and the taste and texture of the resulting food.
    ...See More
  • irish_rose_grower
    15 years ago

HI Rita. Just like you, my 2nd hobby after gardening is feeding and watching the birds. Just today I finished making homemade suet for the birds. It's in the freezer now and once they finish the store bought suet I'll replace it with the homemade stash. The downside of living on Long Island (in my opinion) is our winters...... It's so cold and dreary. I am sun deprived!! I am stuck indoors almost all winter. I would say my next favorite thing is hanging out with my dog Lucky. He's my 5 yr old black lab. I talk to him all day, like he's a person. He also is my garden buddy. He will hang out with me all day in the yard. He just wants to be where I am. Other than gardening, feeding and watching the birds and hanging with my dog, I love a good movie. Oh, I forgot, I love working out at the gym too. I do cardio equipment and weights. Good for the body and mind. After that my favorite things are pizza and watermelon martinis.

What a great thread Rita.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

My biggest year round hobby/job is breeding and training our horses. During the summer months the horses share almost equal time with my general gardening and daylilies. I've been collecting antique Christmas ornaments and old snow babies for a very long time. When I can find the time I also like to make my own quilts. Every couple of years I manage to run a marathon....mostly just to prove to myself that I can still go the distance.

Maureen....your buddy looks very handsome. We have a GoLab that we love dearly.

Rita...I love to read too. I just wish that I could find the time to do more of it.

Linda

• uroboros5
    15 years ago

Birds: After 10 years of trial and error, I have finally outsmarted squirrels, sparrows and pigeons. I feed woodpeckers, hummingbirds, goldfinches, blue jays; in fact, I sell bird feeders and wind chimes on the internet at The Blue Jay's Garden

The rest of the time, I am a webmaster and glass artist.

You can see my art at my vanity website.

• timberohio
    15 years ago

Besides the Daylilies, I do Cross Stitching and Crocheting.

Oh and I'm a closet gamer. My kids (22,21,13)think it is great that mom can play all the video games with them and likes it. My son who is 22 will call me out of the blue just to see if I have played a game, to give him tips on how to beat it.

Tweetypye, I'm just the cool mom right now and hopefully it will be a long time before I become cool grandma. I'm not ready to be grandma yet.

Uroboros, I love your glasswork it is beautiful. I collect glass baskets. Well I did until I discovered daylilies now all my money goes to the daylilies. :)

Which is another reason I'm not ready to be grandma. I still have daylilies to buy. I can't afford my daylily addiction and grandchildren.

• tragar
    15 years ago

There are other hobbies?

• happyjacq_bris
    15 years ago

My hobbies are our quarter horses (we have a farm about an hours drive from our house, only 650 acres) and our miniature poodles who I do agility trials with. Apart from that I have a husband...a very interesting hobby...and 4 children. I love to read if I can find the time. I also play bridge competatively. I feel so lucky lucky lucky that I could retire before 40 to enjoy life.
    Was great to see other people here love their dogs and horses too.
    The black lab is truly a beautiful looking boy. Nothing better than a faithful labrador....they certainly give their all to be the best friend a person could have!!!!

• tepelus
    15 years ago

Why most certainly we do! :) I am into fish-keeping, have been for many, many moons. I had a saltwater tank at one time, it was actually a reef tank, complete with fish, corals, starfish, shrimp, etc. Three years ago, I had to part with the tank during my divorce, and all the inhabitants were given to a friend who had a much larger tank than me. She kept the tank in storage, and two years ago I got it back and set it up as a planted tank. Well, then the daylily bug hit and the plants in the tank went to the wayside. When the weather warms again, I'll get more plants to replace the ones that died.

My other hobby is my novel. It has been completely written for a few years, but only recently I've gotten back into reworking it into something publishable. I'm aiming to finish the edits within the next few months, then to start querying agents.

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

HOBBIES?? well,I use to have so many hobbies going,till I just gave out,and now my thing is doing things in the yard.Can't do much at a time any more, but stay in the yard as much as possible. I use to make a lot of croceted bed dolls and sell them.For awhile I made all kinds of jewelry with all kinds of beads.Done a lot of woodburning a few years ago.In between all of that I raised all kinds of tropical fish and birds and sold to the pet shops,and also raised Gold Fish and sold them, too,until the snakes found them, then I quit with goldfish.

Jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

My passion in gardening is for roses. When I say roses I'm talking about modern roses such as Hybrid Teas (old garden roses don't interest me for the most part). Roses by nature do well in the pink and crimson color range, so true to human nature they are constantly trying to hybridize roses in the yellow/orange range. In the daylily world where yellow and orange are supreme, they are seeking the crimson and pink color range. None of the two species do blue/purple. But they sure would like to make you think they do.

• excuria
    15 years ago

I just love the diversity of all of us!

I collect antique hair combs. Not the plain ones you use to comb out the daylily pollen with, but the fancy, put your hair up kind. From horn and tortoise to silver and ivory. I hold them and imagine who first wore this one; or was it a present from a beau? or was this one handmade by a farmer out of the cow horn for his wife because that was all they had? And if you think that growing daylilies is an obsession - you should see the comb collectors (I quit counting mine when I hit 500).
    Merry Christmas,
    Renee

• baileycat
    15 years ago

# 1 definitely the daylilies.

I also feed the birds year around.

I travel 20 miles to feed 9 feral cats.

I have 4 cats and 3 strays here. Believe it or not I am really a dog person who got roped into taking care of these cats that have just appeared in my yard.

I used to collect antiques (mainly oriental) but those days are gone. Now I'm the antique!

• kimkats
    15 years ago

Well I'd have to say that Daylilies and Cats share equal time in my life. I have 19 cats that are my kids. They are very very spoiled and have at least one of every toy that you can find at petsmart, petco, and anywhere else I can find to spend cat money.
    I just got into hybridizing this year so it will be at least a few years till I see what I've got. I used to grow other things but as space dwindles things get removed to make room for more daylilies. I make good use of the tiller my pappy gave me too. Eventually dad will only have to hand mow a path for our backyard lol!!!
    Aside from that I love to read, my fav author is Laurel K. Hamilton!!! I also read other sci-fi Like Star Wars & Star Trek.

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions. :-) My longest lasting obsession though has been gardening and plants. Right now daylilies are my main focus but I collect and grow a little bit of everything and a lot of others. I've always enjoyed growing from seed and now grow daylilies from seed too. I have nearly 300 seedlings that this year will be 2 years old and I'm hoping to see them bloom for the first time.
    I also enjoy reading. I read mostly non fiction books, gardening, politics, self help, true crime. Basically, anything I can learn something from.
    I have 12 cats, they're my constant companions in and out of the garden. I enjoy bird watching but unfortunately so do my cats. So I had to stop putting out bird food, for the bird's sake.:-(
    And I enjoy photography. Mostly taking photos of my flowers, nature and my cats. I guess these other things might be considered hobbies too but I don't obsess on them the way I do gardening or my daylilies.

• vegangirl
    15 years ago

My #1 hobby is birding followed by gardening. My favorite gardening subjects are woodland wildflowers, daffodils, gardening for birds, and daylilies. I also like to read but I mostly prefer reading for information; maybe studying would be more accurate :) I love learning! I do read just for entertainment sometimes though. Favorite reading topics include birds, religious topics, gardening, nature, history, archeology, cookbooks, self-sufficiency and many others. In the winter when I have more time, I enjoy cooking and baking, experimenting with recipes to make them more healthy and vegan. Genealogy is another favorite. And writing. Someday I'm going to write a family narrative :) I like to knit and do cross-stitch but never seem to find the time to do it. We have a musical family and playing the piano, guitar and singing is a big part of family gatherings. DD and I sing for church fairly often. I would love to get better and better at singing and playing the piano.
    VG

• Cindy zone 6a
    15 years ago

I'm seeing a 'common thread', sort of. Alot of readers, a few writers and animal lovers. That's interesting.
    I loved it when tragar asked if there were other hobbies.
    Daylilies do consume most of my free time, but it started out as perennial gardening many years ago. My goal is to only have paths in my yard, which will be very soon now. I also love spring bulbs, having over 3,000 in my yard. The DL started out as companions for the daffodils, etc. to fill in the space during the summer months. But then the 'bug' bit. I also love cats, I have three outside that were dropped off, and I have a rescued cat inside. For me that's critical mass , so I take strays to the local animal rescue to have them fixed, etc whenever I can.
    I am also a vegetarian, but it's not a hobby really, just a way of life. I started 30 years ago, when you couldn't get a 'meat free' meal at a restaurant. Just recently I went to a well known (unnamed) supermarket and asked for a cage free turkey and they looked at me like I was from another planet. Wouldn't even do that, but I cook Christmas dinner for my family, and I know my dad's not having the tofu.!!!! I did find one.
    Probably my second hobby is reading. I mostly love fiction, mysteries and the like. Favorite authors right now are Picoult, Koons, and really love Sophie Kinsella for a good laugh. Love the sci fi, like several other of you do, One of my top 5 favorite books is The Time Traveler's Wife, plus I just heard they are making it into a movie. Good thing I'm in Ohio, so I can read during the cold months. Love reading this forum now and looking at all the beautiful pictures.

Cindy

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

I noticed that too Cindy. I also noticed there's a lot of us who enjoy bird watching. We gardeners seem to have quite a few things in common don't we?
    It's so much fun to read about everyone's hobbies.

Joy

• linlily
    15 years ago

Spring and summer are my gardening months, and I really enjoy my daylilies, reblooming iris-as well as spring blooming iris-and perennials. I've been dabbling a bit in growing some different perennials from seed.

I am a decorative painter and do most of my painting in the fall and winter. I have been painting since the mid '80s and have taught decorative painting as well. I also sew and do fabric crafts. I made and sold over 150 Christmas ornaments this year. I do a few craft shows every year, and have recently been invited to display my painting and fabric crafts in a local craft shop that is opening up in the spring. Selling my crafts gives me some extra spending money, but I ususally end up buying more patterns and supplies for next year! I recently made a Baby Snoopy baby quilt for my new grandson. It was my first effort in quilting.

We have a Boxer named Jake, a Siamese rescue named Tasha, and goldfish. Like many of you, we feed strays and try to find homes for them.

I enjoy reading too, and sudoku. Astronomy has been an interest for me since Junior High School, and we have two telescopes that we need to use more often.

Too many hobbies, not enough time to do them all!

Linda

• sweatin_in_ga
    15 years ago

Oh yeah! I have another hobby. It is a 1967 Plymouth Baracuda Fastback just like the one I owned when I turned 21. And believe it or not, it is a much more expensive hobby than daylilies. In fact, now that I have retired, I'm going to have to step back to only one hobby as the "discressionary" spending took a considerable hit. Let's see - - a couple of nice $75 daylilies or a new engine compartment wiring harness for only $469, or maybe a weather stripping for the passenger side window? Only #125 plus the adhesice and about 4 hours to get it installed properly. Hmmmm. Looks like daylilies might just be winning!
    Larry

• dadofnine_co
    15 years ago

I ride my bicycle. Or I did when I lived nearer a road. Did about 2000 miles a year the last few years I rode. Now I spend most time in the yard, digging up things and doing whatever I like.

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

The daylilies are #1 as hobbies go. I too am a reader, and I also am a birder. I sketch too, but probably my second favorite hobby is cooking and baking, especially this time of year.

I pass out platters of cookies and candies, and love to do it.

On occasion, I scrapbook, and when I do, I do it obsessively.

As far animals go, they find our house. I think cats pass out maps to each other, and two dogs have been 'dropped off" at my house. All of the animals except one chihuahua are rescues, and the total is six cats(!!!)and four dogs. We are past critical mass here, but they all get "fixed", shots, and plenty of food and petting. Three of the cats and two dogs are outside animals.

kay

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

What an interesting thread!

My full time job prevents me from having a lot of extra hobbies, but I do find time in the winter months to play guitar. I especially like to transcribe piano music to classical guitar arrangements. My latest project was the song, 'Carioca', composed in 1933 by Vincent Youmans. Some of you may be familiar with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing to that song. I also play steel string and 12-string guitars, and love to play a large variety of music, namely classical, country, rock, folk, country, pop, blues, ragtime and chord-melody standards.

I do some photography, but have a lot to learn in that category. I want to learn how to photograph moonshots and sunsets/sunrises better.

I know how to sew, and am good at it (are we allowed to brag here?) but when I retire I'd like to take up quilting. I understand quilting is very different than sewing clothes, so I'll need to take classes for sure. Now wouldn't it be nice some day to make a daylily quilt!

Thanks for creating this thread, Rita, and I hope to read about more members' interests & hobbies!

Julie

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

Gee, I wish I had something different to add, but I am an avid gardener, ponder, bird-watcher, and cat- and dog-lover too. Mike and I just built a chicken coop last March, and now we are chicken keepers! I don't read for pleasure much any more, since my job involves reading. I sew (badly) and paint (worse).

I work on my house. I used to enjoy masonry the most, since it is relatively inexpensive and adds a feel of permanence and age to a home. I laid the stone floors and built the stone fireplace and ponds here. Although I'd like to do more, my body is rebelling. It was never a top-of the line model, and the mileage is high, so the repair costs keep mounting. I wish I could trade it in!
    Renee

• nikki42
    15 years ago

I show cats, I have 4; 2 smoke Egyptian Maus, 1 chocolate-silver Ocicat and one caramel classic tabby oriental shorthair. I have also decided as a New Year resolution to resume my hobby of competing in Dressage competitions for Riding for the Disabled, after a 3 year break due to family issues.

Nikki xxx

• rarejem
    15 years ago

I agree with Joy that most of the things that I am involved in are "obsessions" rather than hobbies. I just can't find it in my nature to do anything half way!

Gardening has always been my number one hobby, and it is the only one that I have never let suffer because of the others. I love to unwind by playing in the dirt, and would never be willing to give it up. On top of my daylily collection, I have hundreds of roses, iris, and other perennials. Anything that catches my fancy as something beautiful or unique will find a place in my world. I also love the vegi garden, and still try to grow as much as I can here even if some of my favorites like tomatoes will never be as successful as they are in warmer areas.

The majority of my other hobbies involve spending time outdoors as well. My husband and I are very avid motorsport people. In the spring and fall, we ride dirtbikes, quads, and have our Rhino side-by-side for four wheeling. In the summer it is the Seadoos on the lake and the Harleys on our mountain roads when time is limited. The winter we are in the mountains on snowmobiles. Like Jan said, it is a wonderful way to see a lot of beautiful scenery! Most of these trips involve spending a couple of days camping in the woods and my early morning hikes with my dogs. I also very much enjoy fishing, both salt water for salmon and halibut, and fresh water for waleye and bass.

Like a lot of you, I am an avid reader. It is hard to find as much time as I would like to to read, but I haul a book with me whenever I travel, and I read myself to sleep rather than spending time with the TV.

When I have to be stuck inside, I enjoy flower arranging (both fresh and silk), cooking and beading. There have been several other crafty type of activities that have come and gone... not because I didn't enjoy them, but there just isn't enough time to do it all.

Julie

• jackarias
    15 years ago

My number one hobby is gardening with daylilies dominating the garden. However palms/cycads and bamboo are significant in the garden.

This year I went to Houston for the AHS National Convention, Valdosta GA for the board of directors meeting, site of the 2010 AHS National Convention and Sacramento CA for the Region 7 convention. I'm pres. of the local club and plant procurement chairman. I've served 6 years on the board of directors so daylilies have truly dominated my hobby.

More recently though breeding Bengal Cats has come to dominate my time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peñasquitos Cattery

• irish_rose_grower
    15 years ago

Jackarias, Oh wow, those bengal kittens are so cute.
    I showed them to my son (we have a crazy cat and I always tell my son I think he is part Ocelot.....
    My son was wondering how much your kittens sell for? I had no idea and told him I would ask.

• lynxe
    15 years ago

Other hobbies....hmmmmm. There's vegetable gardening, which I just got into last summer for the first time. I'm particularly interested in growing heirloom vegetables & fruits. Hosta gardening. Collecting heirloom bulbs. READING READING READING! I assure you: it is IMPOSSIBLE to have too many books! The usual outdoor stuff: hiking, biking. If we ever have snow again, I'll be out there on my cross-country skies. This year, I'm thinking of relearning horseback riding....we shall see. Art...we collect, in our own smallish way.

Not too much else at the moment, although I have plans for the coming years, ambitious though they may be. I'd like to learn to cook this year. FINALLY lolol. I will be also be getting more involved in environmental and animal rescue causes. In local politics. With my alma mater. And yes, with my local daylily clubs as well.

Long term, a big maybe....an AHS display garden? If I decide to go for it, there's so much that needs doing. All those plants to buy, for one thing. But I think i'm up to the task LOL.

That should be more than enough for now. :)

Yes, those bengals are gorgeous! That marble kitten with the thick tail...whoa! Hey Jackarias, want another one?LOLOL. Yes, people, I have two bengals. They're supposed to be mature at this point. Calm? Sedate? Ha! Recently we had to shell out some $$$ because Suri sent one of our table lamps smashing to the ground. He LOVES the sight and sound of things crashing....night before last, he sent an entire pumpkin pie, in its box, sailing off the island and onto the kitchen floor. The thing landed oh-so-neatly upside down. Didn't even break - not even the crust. But I've a new routine these days: Every night, before bed, I have to remove all sorts of objects from counters, tables, window sills, else I'm likely to find them lying on the floor the next morning.

• dragonkeep
    15 years ago

I have several hobbies that have gotten totally out-of-hand. I have 88 acres that needs to be decorated/landscaped around the horse pastures, hayfields, and pecan and chestnut groves.

We are also building our house/barn ourselves and are currently working on the stuff above the slab. I have 7 Arabian horses and need homes for two of them. Mags needs his own person who thinks he's the cat's meow and Baskaborr needs someone who wants to breed horses. I am reining in the number of horses due to my husband's bout with colon cancer and my declining ability to walk.

I have 10 cats, 7 of them Bengals and 3 pound cats. Michael Underfoot is a spotted snow with the richest blue eyes you have ever seen. Valentine Needletoes is a caramel/cream marble. We have several kittens from them, 3 marbles and a couple of snow. Jackarias, your cats are lovely.

We have cut back on our horse show photography and only do one show a year, the ECAHS Crabbet Celebration. We take about 1500-2000 photos and I get them ready for printing. We also do some wildlife and floral photography.

We have a 22 ft sailboat moored at Lake Seminole ready to go a moment's notice. Travel is high on our list of things to do but we haven't gotten out much recently.

One of our joys is feeding our birds and kicking the deer and foxes out of the way. We also have a large flock of wild turkeys that hang out in the north field.

When we get our stuff out of storage, meaning get the house finished, we will have books and sewing/cross-stitch available. We will also have my piano and our lapidary equipment so we can cut some of our stones and do some lost wax casting for settings.

In the meantime, when we need to do something inside, we have a ton of movies that we watch.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since it's winter and cold outside, I just stay in as much as possible. Have been spending lots of time on my wintertime hobby of reading books. I love fiction, as I said at the beginning of this thread. I read so much in the winter because I have no extra time in the warm weather just as soon as gardening begins. I have always read alot and I still do buy lots of books but I also have a membership in Booksfree which is an on line site were you pay a membership fee each month and then you get to rent a certain number of books depending on your membership levels. Its sort of like those video or DVD rental places or maybe think of it as a pay for library. Its great. Just look up Booksfree on Google.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My other "new" hobby is listening to the radio all day long as I sit here working on my computer. I do that a lot as I work from home on the computer. Plus I can listen while I sit on the couch and read lots of books. Honestly, I never used to listen to the radio because I hate talk radio and the types of music I want to listen too, they just don't play.

But afew weeks ago, I decided to look at Satellite Radio. I saw that there is a listen on the internet option, in which case you do not need one of the special satelite radios they sell (plus installation). Works for me as my speakers are right here by my moniter.

The kicker was when I looked at the channell line up and saw the goodies that I wanted to listen too, Vintage Country, and the 50s. Love that station. Plus much to my surprise I also really love the big band sound of the 40s. Who knew? No, I am NOT old enought to remember listening to that. Plus in the 50s I never really listened. So by the time I was looking for 50s pop music in the 60s, that stuff was already golden oldies.

So there is a three day free trail were you can sign up and get internet radio right away which I did. I knew before the first day of my free trail was up that I would be signing up to pay as soon as my free trail was up and that is what I did.

In case you are not familiar, it is much like the concept of cable TV, you pay your fee and there is no advertising. There are shows with DJs on some of the time and some talk more than others (Cousin Brucie has been on radio forver and he likes to talk). But it is music, not ads and useless crap. Sirius Satellite Radio. I just love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sirius Satellite Radio

• laurelin
    15 years ago

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I dropped in. It's good to see so many familiar "faces" again!

I still love my garden; it's hobby #1 when the weather permits (here in my part of the northeast, that's about 7 months of the year), and I have a bunch of house plants as well. The rest of the time I oscillate between several interests:
    My fish tanks (various goldfish in one, simple tropicals in another), my cats (3 shelter kitties), and my kids' guinea pigs take up some time every week.
    I'm working on my first solo quilt (I've helped with a couple others, but this is my first start-to-finish project).
    I also feed the birds in our yard, and love watching them.
    A few months ago I started my own online shop on Etsy to sell my drawings and ceramics, and I had a couple pieces of my work in a juried art show.
    And I always love to read - a very schizo assortment of stuff (my nightstand currently has "Jane Eyre," my Bible, a couple books by Terry Pratchett, and some gardening books on it).
    Home schooling our two kids on top of that keeps me busy.

Laurel

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Oh, this was fun to read!!

Hobbies...huh, boy I guess I have a few. I'd say daylilies take up a lot of time, but I love general gardening too. The BF and I also enjoy traveling and cooking. We take classes together, shop for local food together and it is a ton of fun. I am into Yoga (gotta work off the food somehow!). I have two dogs, and have been taking them to classes, and BOY do they love their daily walks. LOVE movies, but we do it in our home with Netflix, because I can't stand the theaters anymore. I cross stitch. I love watching birds and have feeders up in the yard next to our little stream. So cute to watch them washing up! I love theater, ballet and symphony and have a subscription to all (that keeps the weekends full).

I think that about covers the major stuff! :o)

• carmen_grower_2007
    15 years ago

Gardening in general is probably #1 for me. Daylilies are fine, but only as part of the whole perennial growing thing. I enjoy Winter Sowing in the cold months and also read everything I can get my hands on in the way of mysteries, political espionage, detective stuff. (scary and gory!!!)

I've taken up crochet again after three years because the arthritis in my right hand magically went away last summer after being stung be a bee between my fingers!

• tahtah4now
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, I love these threads. Hobbies, I have many.

Gardening, love my daylilies, just got my seeds planted.
    Bird watching, love the woodpeckers and watching their babies in the spring.
    Kayaking with a friend. We love to do streams. Its amazing how close you can get to wildlife.
    Love to do photography, need to takes some classes!
    Reading mysteries and romance.
    Quilting, I love to quilt.
    Camping, fishing, boating, and hiking. I love snowmobiling but we no longer have one.
    My dogs, I have 3 Roscoe a 10 yr old basset, Jake a pound puppy whom is now 3 and Remi my black lab who is 2. They keep me pretty busy.
    Last is my job which I love. I work as a CST at a local hospital working 12 hour days so I have plenty of days off to do the other things I love!
    Thanks for the thread, its fun seeing what others enjoy other than the #1 hobby.
    Tammy

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

This post has been so fun to read.

I am with a few of you who say you don't have hobbies, you have obsessions...definitely describes me.

I have so many interests that I can never do all of them so rotate through them (not intentionally, I just get bored and have to move to the next interest frequently). am usually active in 3-4 of them at a time.

I have been told more than once that I was born in the wrong century.

Some that have always been with me and I regular go back too:
    Gardening- all of it. I can't remember any time not having some level of garden from the time I was big enough to walk. I love daylilies, roses, iris, herbs, veggies, hybridizing, flowering shrubs, landscaping, annuals, houseplants, native plants. I helped my parents plant & weed their veggie gardens when I was 3 yr old, helped my mom start her tomatoes & squash in the window, and at 15 taught her to enjoy growing flowers instead of only food. I take breaks from it sometimes cutting back to just a few things for several years and then..wham...I'm in it 10 times more than last time.

Knitting, crochet, spinning & dying yarns. another one that has been a lifetimer. My mom taught me to knit when I was 4 and grandmother taught me to crochet at 6. I taught myself how to design my own sweaters and eventually took classes to learn how to spin/dye.

Garden Photography- another life long love. I picked up my first camera at age 5 and my first picture was of my dog sitting in front of my bed of nasturtiums. I've been published a few times. Most notable the cover of a book about the history of an island my great-grandparents helped to settle.

Scrapbooking- this is an on-again-off-again love. Obsessive when its on. Ditto with all kinds of other arts & crafts.

Reading- I love historical fiction, especially by Christian authors. I also love "how too" and research subjects- learning is a passion.

Church- Well maybe not a hobby but it leads to some. I've been active in my church even preaching a sermon to two and singing on the worship team.

Geneology & historical research. This is really my mom's hobby but I'm her chief backup archivist & research assistant.

Tech- well I do this for a living but I explore online communities on my own time.

Cooking- this is also a necessity because I have children with food allergies. I bake all our breads, make my own mixes, and cook from scratch a lot. I make a lot of my own recipes. I also can & freeze our fruits & veggies.

Outdoors- I love camping, fishing, hiking, travel to new places, exploring nature & manmade wonders, native plants. a lot of these are on hietus while the kids get a little bigger and able to join.

In years past I was an expert seamstress, marksman on a rifle team, raised rabbits & ducks, and a number of other things that have not lasted the test of time.

• jan53_2008
    15 years ago

Berrytea4me, it's easy to see why you are living in Colorada!! You are living in a state that has the natural backdrop to a lot of your hobbies that are outside without having to travel a lot to do them!! I nearly went nuts when I lived in the "desert" in SE New Mexico! After living in Alaska for 17 years.....it was a heck of a change that took a long time to get used to! LOL Jan G.

• Edward_Kimball
    15 years ago

Daylilies are my main hobby but I also knit. I have been knitting for about 4 years and have made a couple of sweaters, some hats and scarves, and 4 pairs of socks. This Christmas I started learning to play the harmonica. If I ever get good enough I have a friend in a band and I am sure he would let me jam with them but that is a LONG way away. I used to be big into photography but I let that slip a few years ago.

Edward

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Jan G- talk about culture shock...AK->NM! I came from one great outdoor place (WA) to another (CO) so its pretty much been my life. I visited AK in Aug 2007 and loved it! If the summer season were longer I'd be there in a minute.

Edward- I always love to see when men knit. I'm told a lot of surgeons use it to destress while building eye/hand coordination. Good for you. Socks are really fun to make.

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

Edward, can't tell you've let the photography slip from the photos I've seen!
    Renee

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Haven't been here in a while. It's hard to work on gardens when there are several feet of snow and ice covering everything! However, I have been going through my gardening catalogs and dreaming of what new goodies I'll add this spring! And I can hardly wait to see all the DL's I traded for with many of you blooming this summer!

I have tons of other hobbies. I am also a glass artist. Uroboros, I figured you were too, from your name but I never knew you were Chantal! Good to "meet" you! I had a stained glass shop a couple of years ago and several of my customers made pieces using your patterns! Right now I am playing more with fusing which I am really enjoying, too!

I also love to cook, feed/watch our birds, travel, make greeting cards, and have just started making natural skin-care products. In the past I have enjoyed photography, crochet and tatting, collecting various antiques, and sewing.

What fun to read what everyone loves besides their daylilies!

Linda

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert