SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

pics of caterpillars on my young slash pines. jayinfla and lou

dirtymartini
13 years ago

Hi there! I posted yesterday, my DH was convinced our Florida Slash Pines were dead. A few are a bit yellowish, but I feel they have really flourished in the past year they have been in our yard. We bought them for $10 each and they were about 8 ft tall, now they are about 12 ft.

My DH pointed out how the needles are all falling, and some weirdness on the trunks. We then discovered these funky yellowish/greenish caterpillars. Some are in clumps. From my googling, I *think* they are a sawfly...like a "red something or other" sawfly? I forget, gotta go look again at the exact name.

jayinfla and lou were helping me brainstorm a bit, so wanted them to be aware of this new thread.

From what I understand, I can pick these little dudes off and destroy them and that should help. I started doing it this morning but I really got grossed out. I have such a hard time killing anything, I need to get over that. DH and I try to do things naturally as much as possible, we really try to avoid chemicals...but I am ready to spray these little ba$tards so tell me what to spray them with. Funny, I can SPRAY something....but I can't squish it!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:958510}}

Comments (11)