SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Slug deterent - experiment results

SaintPFLA
15 years ago

I have been battling with slugs for a while now. I opted for non-chemical approaches to kill them or deter them from my beans and other plants.

After researchcing online, I found (and posted here) info that indicated that coffee grounds deter slugs (and possibly kill them?...not fully validated). From reading here, many people find this to be true.

My backyard experiment resulted in no impact what so ever on the use of coffee grounds as a slug deterent.

In fact, the slug decimation continued at the same level on my beans and ornamentals.

I had to resort to hand-removal or lose all my plants (yes, there were that many slugs...). I would hand pick 15 or more per day during this experiment.

I also tried the beer trap thing. I dropped several slugs into a bowl of freshly poured beer. They did die and go to slug heaven.

Then, I created a slug trap with beer, which worked while the beer was fizzing. Once the carbonation was gone, the

slugs climbed right out - except for one or two - and went on to ruin my beans.

I am not a big beer drinker so it's not something I regularly have on hand. It appeared to me that perhaps the thing that kills them is the "carbonation".

As a test to this thought, I poured some soda (root beer) into a bowl and dropped my hand picked slugs into the soda. They all died. Quickly.

Again, once the carbonation was gone and the remaining liquid was a dilluted newly oxygenated/water/syrup combination, newly added slugs crawled out as it was no longer effective.

I also put hand picked slugs into a bowl of coffee grounds with some water added. This did not deter or kill the slugs at all. They all crawled out and went on their merry way.

I also tried to "drown" them in just water in a bowl. Again, same results, they floated around for awhile, and then crawled out to saftey.

So, my conclusion is that the active carbonation in ANY drink will kill slugs. Perhaps it's due to the lack of oxygen available in the drink? Once the carbonation has dispursed, there is no specific impact due to the water/oxygen ratio.

Also, coffee grounds really does nothing to deter/kill slugs -- at least in my yard.

An added benefit of the root beer soda - slug mixture is that raccoons and possums love it. They eat the slugs and drink the flat soda! So, you do not even have to dispose of the corpses.

Obviously, I have completely lost it and am in need of a hobby.....

Comments (5)