SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
early_bird_2007

About tomatoes...again, for the last time.

early_bird_2007
16 years ago

Here is the story. I planted recently few tomatoes outside and they got sick immediately. I took pic. and sent my question to Un. of FL ******** County Extension Service, to Horticulture Agent. This is my letter:

"Hi!

Not long ago I planted few tomato plants on my back yard. I grew them from seeds and in pots they looked very healthy. But in the ground they look like they want to grow but something doesn't let them. New leaves come smaller and smaller and they are yellow-green, not green. The last leaf is only about an inch and it's not growing anymore. Could you tell me what is the problem and what can I do about it?

Thank you.

Maria"

I also attached a pic.

{{gwi:799406}}

Very soon I got an answer:

"Hi Maria, have you fertilized the plants since you put them in the ground? They could use a slow release fertilizer like Osmocot or Dynamite that has the three numbers all the same like a 14-14-14 or a 13-13-13- or even 20-20-20. The container will tell you how much to scatter around the plants. Good luck!"

I new my plants were sick, not weak. I went to tomato forum, found info on TYLCV, found an article about TYLCV on UF website. It took FIVE MINUTES total.

Now you tell me: wasn't my description obvious? Who are these guys in UF Extention Offices? Is it a paid job or volunteering? Don't take me wrong, I am not a grumbler who always complain about this and that but I don't understand how can anyone live in FL, call him/herself "Horticulture Agent" and not know about TYLCV.

So my lesson N1: Don't ask UF Horticulture Agents - they are useless. Go to Gardeweb.

Lesson N2: I think I am done with tomatoes. Leafminers, Nematodes, TYLCV... That's too much for me. I can work as a mule and dig, dig, dig...But what's the use if I don't have power over all that stuff? There is Flea Market close by.

Now a little something to laugh about. My husband's co-worker and old buddy came to our house few days ago. From the porch he saw my persimmon and asked: "Are they TOMATOES?" Yeah, they shaped like tomatoes and they are yellow, but it's a TREE higher than the porch roof! Quite a knowledge in agriculture. My husband is about the same.

Maria

Comments (10)