SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessewo

I'm a new Hosta 'parent'-any advice?

jessewo
14 years ago

Last year I received seeds from some wonderful generous traders and winter sowed them. They did great! But I can only tend my shade garden on weekends & the plants were kind of tiny, so I was reluctant to put them out there all alone. I potted them in small pots & sunk them into the ground out back last fall & hoped for the best. Well, I'm happy to say that almost all of them came through just fine & are starting to sprout & some even have sweet little leaves already! I pulled the weeds that sprouted in some of the pots, but I was wondering what next? We still have to watch for frost for another month-the recent hot weather can't change the fact that it IS still April! I'm not ready to put them out until they get bigger, but some are starting to grow roots out of the bottom of the pot, so I know they need more room. Should I repot them until they get to transplant size, or do you have other advice? My experience has always been with dividing established plants to propogate, & I know that they probably won't come true from seed, but that's OK-they will be loved! Anyway, any advice from anyone with seed experience would be welcome! Thanks!

Comments (2)