SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecorgis

New to Hostas - need some advice

rosecorgis
13 years ago

Hi Everyone.

Well, I guess I'm officially hooked. I have 4 hostas so far in my shade garden and just love them. I know they aren't supposed to do well where I am but so far they're fine. I do get enough winter chill for peonies and lilac so I can grow hostas.

So far the ones I have are just the ones at the local nursery. We're blest with a fantastic nursery near our house but they don't have too many hostas. I have Patriot, Guacamole, Captain Kirk and Blue Mouse Ears (although I seem to have lost it under a hydrangea).

Can you advise me of some others to get? Can some handle heat better than others? Mine are in full shade (no more than an hour or two of morning sun). Afternoons in the summer are 90 - 100+. They're irrigated on a drip system so they get plenty of water.

How do I know what to order if I do it online? Any good sources? How big a plant should I order? Do they ship bareroot like roses or in little pots?

Any advice is appreciated! I've looked at all your pictures and just love the hostas.

For any of you that don't get snow (please don't laugh), what do you plant in the same area so that the whole area doesn't look dead in the winter? Maybe some ground cover that stays green?

Debbie

Comments (10)