SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalalandwi

Luddy Lambertson's presentation

lalalandwi
15 years ago

Saw Luddy Lambertson's presentation at the WDS meeting yesterday. I do have a new found respect for the guy & now see his goals and what he looks for in a dl. I did not realize he is an artist as well which comes into a lot of his hybridizing as far as form & color. He showed pics of his art work & related it to what he sees in dls. He loves the exotic & different & applies a lot of his color theory to them. He is an extremely modest fellow & plays himself down which I respect but yet got irritated. I don't think he realizes how many people love his work.

He just started getting back into dips this year which he hasn't done since he lived in CT. We did see all of his '09 intros & so far the dips have not been introduced.

He talked about his trip to Costa Rica & his fascination with bird watching, thus all the bird related intros. Some of the pics & his comments had the crowd laughing several times. While he was there he actually spotted some dls growing & crossed them all!

He has lost a couple of seedlings recently that were way cool! One he lost to overhybridizing...yes, you can kill a plant by setting to many pods on it! Another was to a soil disease. Very sad because they would have been great intros.

He also spoke about the heavily ruffled dls. He does have 1 '09 intro that is ruffled, completely out of his norm. He said he doesn't like them much because they don't open well, yes, even for him in FL. He likes the way they look but does not see them as garden worthy because of the hang up. He said a few seedlings he has tried he literally had to physically unhook them to get them to open. After that comment, I will leave those heavily ruffled edges aside.

He talked about teeth & how it has become the latest craze. He mentioned that a lot of today's cultivars are heat dependent & is working on changing that.

A side note, he said someone dropped off a single flower of God Save The Queen & left it on his table. After he left he took the flower & crossed it to several of his cultivars. He said he got 1 pod with 5 seeds & 4 of those will be future intros! Yes, they do look like Lambertson intros as far as color goes, but the form took that of God Save the Queen. So all you hybridizers out there, that is extremely good odds!

I wish I would have had the opportunity to at least tell him how much I admire his work, unfortuntley he was bombarded by people after the meeting ended & didn't have a chance. I'm going to send him an email to let him know how much of a fan I am. The modest guy really needs to know!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!