SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Blueberry order?

gcmastiffs
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

I found a nursery that will sell Blueberry plants wholesale if 100 are ordered. They have a good selection of low-chill cultivars. The plants are rooted, and range from plugs, to 18" plants, for a low price. Smaller is cheaper, of course.

I'm enquiring to see if they have "Sunshine" which is the small variety that is easy, and forgiving of soil PH.

I do not know what shipping would be, but it looks like the plants will be 1/4 the price I'm seeing elsewhere on line for bare-root.

I actually paid $35 one time for a 3 gallon Blueberry at a local nursery. Now that was dumb!

I'm wondering if enough local people (Palm Beach and Martin Counties) would be interested in some? I can't use 100 of them(G).

This is still in the "I have an idea" stage. If there is no interest, I won't order.

Lisa

Comments (62)

• cindeea
    15 years ago

I'd like 3 if they can be shipped and are reasonably priced...Lisa, you opened up a whole can o' worms girl!! LOL

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

I am in Tampa...would love 3-4...would anyone be willing to ship to me (i would pay the shipping and packing, of course)?
    Olya

• Related Discussions

Blueberry planting order?

Q

Comments (2)
    Are you going for a symmetrical look, when they change color if the fall, or are you looking to put netting over a certain type as they begin to ripen. The bees will hit every bush, no matter what order you put them in. Just having another variety within 150 feet will help. If they all flower at the same time is another issue. Most of the time there will be a little variance in the optimal time to pollinate, but they will be pollinated by each other, none the less.
    ...See More

Blueberry mail order

Q

Comments (1)
    I have never used them, I do not know where you are from; but I will list two mail order nurseries I have had great results with for Blueberries. burntridge.com and hartmansnursery.com ,Kinda late in the season but you may get lucky.
    ...See More

Pink Lemonade blueberry

Q

Comments (42)
    From what I've read it is part albino and the berries need sunlight on all sides to ripen fully.I saw this happening with mine this year.It is in a container and the fruit facing the Sun turned color while the backsides had somewhat white areas.I turned the pot about a third revolution about every week and the berries color changed. They still have a good taste,a little tangy if picked early.I'd call them a mid-late. Brady
    ...See More

Where to get good mail order Blueberry plants?

Q

Comments (2)
    I just got a flyer from one of my fave places in WI...Woodstock Nursery. They are really friendly and deliver to MN no problem usually. They have some great deals on blueberries right now! -Marie Here is a link that might be useful: Woodstock Nursery
    ...See More
  • gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I heard back. They do have Sunshine Blues, in the small 3" to 6" size. Under $2 each.

Do most of you want the Sunshine variety?

I'm also looking at Misty, Sharpblue and Brightwell. All should do well in zones 9-10.

Lisa

• stuartdave
    15 years ago

I'm interested in 4 sunshine blues and 4 brightwell and I live in Stuart so could pick them up

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

I would do 3 Sunshine and 3 Brightwell but I can't pickup :-)

• imatallun
    15 years ago

I can pick my order up locally, and would like to change to 3 Sunshine & 3 Brightwell in 3 gal (understanding Brightwell will be more expensive, John.)

I'll be attending the UF Plant Sale on 10/11 and can make room in my smallish sedan for barestock blueberries if anyone from Tampa Bay area (like Olyagrove) would want to meet at UF or select a "drop site". I wouldn't want to collect money, (I'm more creative than organized) but John seems to have an "easy pay" system posted above.) Delivery to Tampa, of course, is providing that the order is shipped to Sunshine before 10/10/08.)

I'm going to Ricky's too, and could pick up locally & deliver blueberry bushes for those of you attending the swap.

John or Lisa, how big ARE the the barestock blueberry bushes? I won't have to rent that dang Lowe's truck again, will I? (Bringing lots of stuff to Ricky's, promising not to leave anything sitting in the driveway.)

Marilyn

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

Hey Lisa,
    Put me down for five. Whichever ones will grow best in zone 10 will be fine. Can you send them to me

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marilyn,

I'm probably going to order the small ones (3-6") for ease in shipping. Shipping 100 of the big ones (18") would be outrageous, I suspect!!?? Shipping even the little ones will add 20% to their cost.

But, the big 'uns are only a little over $3 each. Little ones are $1.90-$2.30 each. Sunshine Blues are only available in the small size.

They said "no problem" getting them here prior to Ricky's swap!

Decisions, decisions.....

Would you all rather save $$$ or have bigger plants?

Even if the shipping adds 20%, the larger plants would still be under $4 each. That is awesome! I paid $15 each for bare-root Blues this past winter.

Lisa

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

pay a bit extra and get bigger plant - better survival chances, and the fruiting will start sooner!
    by the way, how far from fruiting is an 18" one, approximately?

Marylin, is it UF Plant Sale, or the USF one? I know there is a Fall Festival at USF on the 11th (and I am planning on attending)
    Olya

• imatallun
    15 years ago

That makes great sense, Olya, going with the larger plants. But Sunshine Blues are only available in the smaller size? And Lisa, BTW, it is awesome that you're organizing this.

Yes, Olya, its the USF event in Tampa. I'm planning on being there on the morning of the 11th.

Marilyn

Hopefully we'll be swapping blueberry recipes next year! Yay!

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Lisa,

I'm not picky and totally trust your judgment as to what to get.

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Lisa thank you for for organizing this and John thank you too. I would take 4 brightwell and 2 sunshine both in the bigger size if available. I am in Orlando and am not going to Ricky's swap so I would need them shipped to me. If shipping to me is ok, then count me in.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Lisa,

I'd still rather have the Sunshine Blues even thought they are small, if you get enough response to order them. I'd take sixteen plants, eight for me and eight for my father-in-law in Okeechobee. I can't make it to Ricky's that weekend but could make a trip down there from St. Pete on another weekend if I have to...at those prices I don't mind paying whatever the shipping would be if they can direct ship.

Tom

• imatallun
    15 years ago

blueberry bumpity bump... I think I read somewhere, sometime, that Florida has the first maturing blueberries in the northern hemisphere.

(That could be bluesh*t too, though.) Sorry, Felix.

• patty_2006
    15 years ago

I'd be interested in 4, but can't pick up. Is it possible to send? Will pay for shipping :)

• cindeea
    15 years ago

This post makes me think about growing up in Kalamazoo. We lived outside the city of K'zoo MI and it was a great canning, fruit and veggie farming area. You could walk a few miles and find baskets of corn, apples, peaches and pears, asparagus, cabbage, all on peoples 2-10 acre front lawns with a cup for donations for the veggies you wanted to take home. Used to get 1/2 doz ears of fresh corn for 25 cents!! Blueberries and cherries needed pickers in the summer, so when I was in highschool, we would earn our summer vacation spending money picking cherries and blueberries. Most of the time we went home with a sick stomach from eating more fruit than we picked. One particular blueberry season was very wet, we were covered in mud, blue dye from the blueberries and soaked to the bone But we had jingle in our pockets. i ate more blueberry pie, pancakes, cobbler that year than I ever wanted. Until now, I want blueberry-jingle in my garden!! Oh I remember the smell of crushed blueberries in the rain........sorry for running down memory lane on your post Lisa.

• gjune
    15 years ago

Hi, I would be interested in a variety of blueberry plants and prefer the 18" size if that is what you are going to order, but will take any 10 plants if available. I am near Indiantown. Thanks for the offer.

June

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Hope springs eternal. Put me down for 4 whatevers

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, they are ordered. Will arrive the week of Oct 6th. Am getting 60 Sunshine Blues, and 20 each of Tiftwell, Sharpblue and Misty.

The Sunshine Blues will be small, the others are the largest available(10-18)".
    If I can't make it to Ricky's (have puppies due Oct 15th) I'll send the plants with someone else.

Lisa

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I meant Brightwell, not Tiftwell...

Lisa

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Sounds great....thanks Lisa.....just tell me how much I owe you :-) And Congrats on the pups.....I would love to see those wrinkly little balls of love :-) I would not want to leave them for a swap either or for anything else for that matter.

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

I could possibly purchase 3 to 5 depending upon the price and shipping. I'm not too far from you, Ft. Lauderdale. I'd like a variety that does well in my zone. Thanks! Sheri

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Lisa, can you ship them to me? How will I get my address to you? Also, I'll need yours to send the check (if you accept). Let me know the total price for 3 small Sunshine Blues or Brightwells, whichever you think are best for zone 10b. Thanks a lot! Sheri

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Bummer for those of us that can't make it down to Ricky's :-(

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

Lisa,
    I won't be at Ricky's Trade so cancel my order. Sorry I hope it doesn't cause a problem.
    Barb

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Lisa, you have mail. Oh I'm so excited about having Blueberries!

Cindy, I was born and raised in Fennville, Michigan! Know where that is? I can't wait to meet you at the swap!

Tom&Cath, wish you were coming to the swap too...

Marilyn

• cindeea
    15 years ago

BARB C-Hold yer Horses, I am going to Ricky's and can bring you your blueberries!!

Holey Socks, Ima! Of course I know where Fenville is...er was...I moved from K'Zoo 32 years ago!! But I loved growing up where the air was fresh and the fruits and veggies were LARGE! can't wait to meetcha!!

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Where is Ricky's? I did not receive a reply from you, Lisa, on whether you can mail the plants? Sheri

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Ricky's is in Boca Raton, blue. C'mon down!

Cindy, it's been shortly less than 30 years for me since moving from MI, but I did stints in Miami, Tampa, Tallahasse, Jacksonville, St. Louis & now in the Treasure Coast and loving life with no intentions to move ever again.

I still visit Allegan quarterly when I'm good and bi-annually when I'm not-so-good. Have family still there.

Lisa, if you have any trouble getting rid of excess stock, I know a lot of people that probably have a blueberry need and don't know it yet. I see I can't cart them to Tampa for Oyla and Tom&Cath this weekend, drats. I'd even have stepped up to the plate and gotten organized with money collecting for you.

Hurray for Lisa!

M

Marilyn

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Lisa...can I add one more to my list (I asked for 4..)
    I would love
    2 Sunshine Blues,
    and each of Tiftwell, Sharpblue and Misty.

I think Laura and Ariel are organizing a trip to Ricky's...could I send a check/whichever you prefer and have them pick up?

Or, anyone else going to Rickys and coming back to Tampa area?
    Thank you

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Ricky's is in Boca Raton? That's pretty neat! Not too far from me, probably about 20 miles. Is it East or West Boca? May I have the driving directions? So we plan to meet there on a certain day to pick up the blueberry bushes or can we come any time after they are ordered? Any info given much appreciated. Sheri :-)

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

The info for Ricky's swap is on the exchange page.
    Everyone is invited but you need to click on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ricky's swap

• imatallun
    15 years ago

bluesky, that's great! Click on "Exchanges" on top and look for Ricky's Swap thread. Request an invitation and provide your e-mail. (The invitation has the address and will get you in the gate.) Hope that helps.
    m

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi guys. I see the next get-together at Ricky's is October 19th. Is this when we pay for and pick up our blueberry plants? Or is it sometime before? As you can see, I haven't been on here as long as some of you all. Thanks. Sheri :-)

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Local folks can pick up the Blues before Ricky's swap if they prefer. I will have them in Jupiter, or can bring them to my work in Stuart.

Then they go to Ricky's swap with D'Ann.

Any still available will go to Mr MacKenzie (Edible Lanscaping) who offered to do shipping to folks outside PB and Martin Counties.

I will be involved 24/7 with new puppies, and will not have the time to pack/ship.

I'm not promising that there will be enough, but if I counted correctly, there should be. If anyone else wants to order 100+ Blues, I'm getting them from Hartmann's Plant Company in Michigan.

There is no charge other than my cost plus shipping.

I want everyone to have the Blues!!!

Lisa

• cindeea
    15 years ago

If they are Michigan blues, they have to be the best!!! Right Marilyn? We would go picking every year big fat plump Michigan Blueberries...YUM-O Lisa, thanks again for all your time. Who's having puppies??? We want pictures. D'Ann thanks for the transport! YAY

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa. I just want to be clear on this. I can go to Ricky's Swap on Oct. 19th to purchase my blueberry plants? Or should I go before the 19th? Thanks a bunch! Sheri

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Can I get 1 sharpblue and 1 misty? I think those are the only chance I have growing these babies in 10b.

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi Coffeemom. I'm in 10b also. Are you near Fort Lauderdale? You think only the sharpblue and misty will due well in our zone? Sheri

• atreelady
    15 years ago

Lisa, I am one of the persons who needs mine shipped. I am not sure what to do next...
    I'm sorry but I don't know Mr MacKenzie (Edible Lanscaping) who is doing the shipping. Is it John, Sunshine farms? I would like to send him an email to find out how to proceed.

Thanks for everything Lisa. :)

Judy

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Lisa, I can pick up in Stuart if it isn't too much trouble for you to take to work. Yes, Cindy, I am totally with you on Michigan blueberries!! Good luck with the puppies, Lisa, and thanks!

• gjune
    15 years ago

Lisa, I can pick up in Jupiter or Stuart as I am local.
    Pls let me know. Thanks, June.

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Lisa....I will be going to Rickys .....so will I pay D'ann....or would you like me to mail you payment? Another question.....what are you going to be doing with all the puppies?

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Lisa, please tell me approx. what date you will be bringing the remaining blueberries to Ricky's. Can I go to Ricky's anytime after that date to pick them up or does it have to be the designated date which I think is Oct. 19th? Sheri

• scottrell
    15 years ago

I will be going to Ricky's. How can I pay for them?

Bluesky - click on the thread that says Swap a Que, check out Ricky's awesome website and get yourself an invite for the plant swap.
    Sharon

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Thanks Sharon! :-)

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Let me know how I can help with the organization/distribution/collection, Lisa. Most importantly, do you have wee pups yet? We want pictures!!!

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Questions and blueberry bump!

Ms Lisa,

#1 How is momma mastiff doing? I just grin ear to ear thinking of the pups you are about to have.

#2 With shipping charges added in, what do we owe you for picking up the lovely, lovely blueberry plants at the swap?

#3 If there is anything I can do to help, will you pretty pleae let me know? (Puppy or Blueberry Wise.)

#4 How are we ever going to keep those varmit squirrels off of our blueberry plants? I'll happily share with birds, but should I buy myself a pellet gun like Aunt Pearl, or build my squirell hating spoiled dobie a dog house so she can properly patrol?

• ladybugfalcon
    15 years ago

I live in Palm City but am in Jupiter Tusdays and Wednesday, so tell me where, when and how much, and I'll be there. Thanks again!

• imatallun
    15 years ago

sorry to be so tenacious, but...blueberry bumpity bump.

Glad ya'll can't hear my horrid rendition of "Blueberry Fields Forever" right now. Can't sing or dance, dang it.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor