SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brucebanyaihsta

Special poplar tree starts

brucebanyaihsta
15 years ago

I have the special hybrid poplar tree starts: 12-18 inch growth tips for the trees that I have used successfully for fast shade for 25+ years.

These starts are stuck into fertile moist soil and will root by themselves - once established this year they may grow a couple of feet. I wait another year, then move them to where I will need shade for 3-5 years, while my oaks, nut and better shade trees get established.

They grow 5-8 ft a year, tap root only and no cotton wood poplar seeds sprouting. They will peak at 40-50 feet in 6-8 years, then start to die back. I cut them down after 5-6 years.

Takes a bit of vision and patience to use but you can easily plan a shade garden with these and alternate shade plantings such as the oaks and nut trees together. Anyone who has seen my gardens would know that is how we started with no shade but had hosta in shade after a couple of years.

They do grow better if kept moist for a few years, as they are poplars!

Let me know if you want any and I will be glad to send you some.

When they are shipped commercially as starts, they tell you to keep them moist and cool until you stick them into soil.

Bruce

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH