SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Eastern Cottonwood Poplar...weed or tree?

noki
16 years ago

Seems to be a lot of prejudice against Poplars, probably with reason. "Eastern Cottonwood" is a common weed in my area but there are many that have been let grown to become huge trees and many of them are very dramatic with deep furrowed bark, massive upward trunks, and often cool branching structure. The leaves flutter in the slightest breeze. Any worse of a tree than many of the ugly old Silver and Red Maples around?

Course many of the trees have been dropping brown leaves all August.

Comments (53)

• pineresin
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Intact poplar wood isn't weak, it's actually very strong. The problem is that it doesn't have any decay resistance to talk of so once decay gets into the wood, it then goes downhill fast, and starts shedding lots of branches.

Resin

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

I'm not prejudice against populus, but prejudice for that genus. Populus deltoides is one of my favorite trees also. Around here, it'll get larger than any other species of tree, whether growing along a stream or on top of a hill. A neighbor has a few within feet of workshop and shed. Not sure if they were just volunteers or what, but the biggest is 12' in circumference, one can just imagine how it could flatten something if it came crashing down.

In the link I've provided, it shows various others poplars I have been trying. Forest farm tends to have a good offering for people to try. Salix and Populus have to be my favorite genuses. Just stick a twig in the soil, and zoom...... Have a tree.

• Related Discussions

Eastern Cottonwood Saplings Removed?

Q

Comments (7)
    I'll let them be for now and see how they look in a couple months. ==>> they will look.. like they are 8 feet too close to the house ... lol you are welcome ... ken ps: my smallest lilac is 8 feet tall and 12 feet wide.. try to picture it breaking thru that window.. and attacking you well you are sitting there smoking your evening pipe.. doing you inner ward cleaver ... while he says something like.. well, beaver.. will you go cut down that freaking lilac please ... and june beats him about he head and neck with the frying pan.. for smoking in the house ... and then he takes away her gin ... ok.. i am done enjoying myself .... lol.. you are welcome ...
    ...See More

Cottonwood

Q

Comments (27)
    "Just like many other species of trees, there are some lame duck fall color producers and some as bright yellow as any gingko. " Exactly. There are a few specimens in my area that have the clearest, most beautiful yellow coloring that you can spot for miles, and there is one in particular that consistently colors up a gorgeous harvest orange. It looks like a beacon in fall, a real landmark. I understand disliking them, because most people don't live in an area where they are appropriate. Of COURSE they shouldn't be planted in a city. Hearing stuff like "don't plant near septic tanks or sidewalks" is frankly comical, because although I know that it happens, that isn't where these trees are meant to go. Which makes it all the more annoying to hear people say that they are nothing but trouble--> clearly you've only had experience with them in a limited capacity...planted where they shouldn't be planted! I live in SK, Canada, where the people are few and far between...they don't bother anyone, they're huge, they're beautiful, and contrary to some info that I've heard, they live a LONG TIME. The hyrbids, maybe no so much, but a real cottonwood will be standing as long as anything else that grows in our area.
    ...See More

Colorful Colorado cottonwoods (and aspens and ashes)

Q

Comments (9)
    Yes your Eastern Cottonwood looks just like the Plains Cottonwood except we get good color from ours. See http://www.coloradotrees.org/feature_trees/cottonwood_plains.php I agree that they aren't good trees for cities and yards, we had an major October snowstorm a couple years ago and cottonwoods caused lots of damage. I want to keep the narrowleaf cottonwood in our yard under control and cut it down before it gets too big. My plains cottonwood has already gotten too big to handle myself but maybe I should remove it too. Still the cottonwoods provide a good bit of the tree cover and fall color in cities and towns here, and are extremely common along creeks and in fields, and if the ash trees eventually die we will notice the cottonwoods even more unfortunately. Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.coloradotrees.org/feature_trees/cottonwood_plains.php
    ...See More

Cottonwood trees?

Q

Comments (6)
    These look like Eastern cottonwood trees there a poplar a relative of willow. Poplars are not all bad they do have some redeeming quality's but not many same with willow. Poplars can get rid of standing water so can willows if you want to get rid of water these trees can help there also good wind breaks and good for shade. How ever there short lived and diseased prone and soft wooded. wood makes good crates and boxes and pulp wood. If these trees are in a good spot there fine but to close to house ,sewer,septic,well then your asking for trouble. Cottonwood lives 70-120 years usually sometime they have been known to live 200-300 years.
    ...See More
  • entling
    16 years ago

It's not a weed, but I would never plant 1. In fact, I just cut 1 down last winter. (I would say 1 down, 1 to go, but DH likes them.) My trees are/were male, but they are still messy. Every spring the bud cases fall and stick to everything. The sticky stuff stains clothes with chartruese spots. Then the 6" long flowers fall & have to be raked up b4 they become a sodden mess. After that, it gets some sort of black fungus on some of the leaves, which fall & infect my wild ginger and celadine poppies. Not only does cottonwood have breakage problems, but it routinely drops branches over a foot long, often with leaves still attached. And the leaves - a thick, leathery, grass-killing, plant-smothering nightmare! I use a leaf vac, but I have to stop frequently to pull the leaves off the fallen branches. The best that can be said for the tree is that it drops all its leaves early enough so that I don't have to wear mittens to do leaf pickup.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

I love this tree. Its not what i would plant if i had more options for a large tree, but i dont, and the shiny foliage on some trees shimmers like sunlit water in the sun, and the leaves can sound like waves.

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

The Eastern Cottonwood is my favorite tree. The things I love about them are the huge open crown they form in later years, just a tiny breeze will set the leaves which have vertically flat petioles fluttering and the sound they make is a soft clattering sound like rain in a forest. Also the sight of the glossy leaves dancing in the wind on a hot summer day is amazing. I just love every sight the Eastern Cottonwood, from the beautiful deltoid leaf shape to the massive trunk and crown. Standing under the canopy of a massive 100 year old cottonwood in the fall is one of the coolest things I think over any tree and it can make you dizzy looking up at how high the limbs stretch. The massive open crown plus golden shimmering leaves in the fall are breathtaking and as the leaves dry out, they sound a lot like ocean surf as it becomes higher pitched. Another great thing about them is if you live next to a lake and have a large old open crowned cottonwood tree bald eagles will almost always build their nest in a old cottonwood first choice.

The cottonwood usually reaches an age of 60 to 70 years but many can reach 100 years old and even 200 or 300 years old in a few rare trees with good conditions and with superior genetics. They are one of the largest and tallest trees in eastern North America. Typically they grow 75 to 100+ tall but they can reach heights of 175 to 190 ft and obtain massive trunk diameters of over 6 ft wide in low moist forested locations.

They are the fastest growing tree in North America which they will normally grow on average sites 3 to 5 feet a year. But in moist bottom lands they can grow 6 to 8 feet a year and in perfect silty soil bottomlands by streams and creeks scientists have recorded heights of 13 feet at age 1, 43 ft at age 3, and more than 100 ft at age 9 on individual trees in the south. They are fairly drought tolerant once established but they will grow slower than one planted in a moist site. The wood is light and kind of on the weaker side and it is possible during a heavy thunderstorm they could drop a limb but they are stronger trees than most people think. If you have a drought they can shed some leaves in the summer if not planted by a stream or in moist soil etc. because they try to conserve water by having less leaves to care for. Male trees are best to plant because they have no cottony seeds that females make. And of course all trees such as willows that like water need to be kept away from the septic system, also house foundations and walkways (This applies to most trees anyways). They can also drop a few twigs after a windy day but if you make a mulch circle around it you can rake all this stuff into it which will help the tree. But if none of this bothers a person I think they are one of the most beautiful and nicest trees to have.

You can read more about the cottonwood plus about people that traveled and lived on prairies in the Midwest and there relation to the cottonwood tree below:
    Link
    Link
    Link

• spruceman
    16 years ago

Fledgeling and treeguy:

Wonderful stuff you posted--thanks. Some people in this forum are a little fussy about trees and the "problems" thay may have. There was a time when I was less open to the beauties of many kinds of trees than I am now, and even a time when I did not appreciate cottonwoods as much as I do now. Although having literally grown up as a boy under one, I always really "knew."

Today, my wife and I stopped by the one I mentioned earlier in this topic--the 7' diameter one here in Winchester and marvelled at its perfect form and the massive and majestic branches rising up into the gently fluttering leaves in the crown. The wind was perfect today for that special sound they make in a gentle breeze. My wife and I were completely enthralled. I appreciate hearing from others who have the same eyes to see with, and the same ears to hear with that we have. Thanks again.

--Spruce

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

It is as much a weed as sugar maple or any other desirable tree.
    Every tree has it's place and not best suited to all applications but no tree is. If you plant a tree in the wrong place, don't blame the tree, blame the person who planted it there for not researching the tree.

I for one wish I could get a few dozen cottonwoods for the obnoxiously wasteful and barren half KM of frontage our subdivision has. I suppose the nursery ind doesn't want to sell these for whatever reason. Too busy making pears.

• noki
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a pic I took today of a small grove planted/allowed to grow near the Olentangy River in a park... I think they are pretty cool.

Other than that, you never really see any actually planted, just a few left alone cause they were so big and the rest weeds never cut down, along highways and next to fences.

{{gwi:411070}}

{{gwi:411071}}

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

Yeah, Good pictures. Those massive Cottonwoods are very cool and nice.

• radagast
    16 years ago

I wish I could see the photos in the above post...

Good to see some folks defending this species. While the wood does decay easily, and they tend to drop leaves and branches (and the females shed those fine, floating seeds), cottonwoods are nice trees. They grow to huge sizes, are quite tough, withstanding both floods and the brutal conditions of the Great Plains, and can reach respectable size and age. So, if you can plant them in a place where the mess is not a problem, they are a pretty good choice.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Not to mention they will grow in the southwest where nothing else dares to grow except things that don't give very much shade.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Just one question for you all...

Do they sell cottonwoods at garden centers where you live? I'd imagine in the plains where planting options are somewhat limited.

• spruceman
    16 years ago

Noki:

Are you a professional photographer? These are really nice pictures. Yes, the trees are spectacular, but the pictures are wonderful--everything seems just perfect to me. At one time I bought some nice equipment and decided I would get some really wonderful tree pictures. Well, I got some pictures that were OK, but I never got any as good as what you have taken here of these wonderful cottonwood trees. OK, OK, yes, tell me you just went out there and did some "point and shoot" thing. No way. Thanks for posting them here. As soon as I saw them I called my wife to come see!!

--Spruce

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

NOki, what's the circumference of the largest one?

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Oh i love poplars,and of course the Aspen is a poplar. And my definition of a weed is simple,a plant of any kind growing in the wrong place in the garden.

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

The garden centers here in MN do sell Cottonwoods, although they can be found in much larger quantities at the home improvement superstores.

Their growth rate is astonishing. The house across the alley planted one 2 years ago after the elm died. Planted, it was about six feet and now must be about 20 feet.

• noki
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not sure of dimensions.

Spruceman, I'm no pro but digital cameras make it easy to have fun taking pictures.
    ... built in zoom you can play with
    ... you can see what the camera sees on the screen, removes most of the guesswork (flash is a different matter though)
    ... no film to waste and instant gratifaction, you can take whatever you feel like.

just remember to charge the batteries every once in a while

• noki
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is another pic which may show the size better, I'm sure there are much bigger, but five trees close to each other is a nice group. Storm the night before brought some small branches down.

{{gwi:411072}}

Here was my attempt to take a shot of the bark
    {{gwi:411074}}

• john_w
    16 years ago

They are best viewed with binoculars from 100 yards away. As you're driving away from them in your car. At 70 mph. The big ones have interesting winter silhouettes. Any closer, then they're weeds. Great in field, along a river somewhere, but a disaster near the house.

I vaccum their progeny from my window screens at least once each spring. I'm forever yanking up seedlings. Not much for fall color. They're always dismantling themselves as they speed upwards.

But it's a great biomass tree!

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

I repeat...
    where does one buy a cottonwood tree? Plant locator doesn't show any populus in GA, TN or NC except one place showing black cottonwood, and one place showing them in sizes too small for me.

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

Aren't there any cottonwood trees where you are at?

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    16 years ago

USDA shows them native to my area, but I can't say I have ever seen one. I'm on the AL/FL line.

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Fantastic bark shot noki! Would make a great study in black and white!

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

lkz,
    Yes there's a few behind the house, ot all that easily accessible but could take cuttings. We don't have them in the types of populations that they do in say ohio. By the time I see one, it's an adolescent tree. I don't recall seeing any mature ones here. Saw some real monsters in OH but not here.

alabamatreehugger, click the link below for florida distribution map. It will give you some idea.

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

Yes, take cuttings, or if the water level is lower, go along river or pond banks in fall and there should be some growing along them.

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

Here is a pic of a branchy cottonwood tree 5.5' diameter.
    {{gwi:411075}}

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

What should I do with the cuttings once I take them and what type of cuttings?

The above photo is an example of the size cottonwoods I don't see around here.

16 years ago

QQ, I drive through those northwestern counties of FL regularly, but I still have never seen a cottonwood tree. They must be confined to only the wettest areas around here.

• spruceman
    16 years ago

Here is how to propagate a poplar from a cutting: Wait until early spring, and about two weeks before bud break for poplars, take cuttings from the upper part of preferably a young tree. Cut some twigs that were fast growing and smooth--preferably about as thick as a pencil or so. One, or maybe two year old wood is best. Cut it into lengths of 10 to 12 inches. You dont need a terminal bud. Remove all the buds, except for one or two at the top. Then prepare a planting hole by getting rid of all weeds and grasses three feet or so on all sides from where you will plant these sticks. Dig up and work the soil well so it is loose to a depth of at least 18 inches. Then take your cuttings and push them down into the soil so ONLY the top two inches (space for one or two buds) are above the ground). Then use your heel, or maybe your fist or something to press the soil in from all sides to make sure it is tight against the cutting. Mulch. Then water like any other tree that is newly planted. These cuttings should sprout and grow just a few days after the poplars normally leaf out.

I usually do about three cuttings per hole and then after a year or two remove all but the best one.

Trust me, it seems strange, maybe, but leave only the top two inches or so above the soil line--the 10 inches or so that is below the soil line gives plenty of room for roots to develop, and the twig itself serves as a kind of taproot. AND--this is critical, dont let any weeds or grass near these little trees for about 4 years, maybe more. They cant stand any weed /root competition at this stage. They should grow about 24 inches or so the first year.

--Spruce

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

Quirky, the best time to take the cuttings is in late winter before the buds open up. Just cut a twig(s) about 1.5 to 2 feet long from the branch tips and put them in some water until you can put them in the soil. The straighter the better but curved branches can be OK though. Then either till the soil which can help with establishment then plant the stick a foot or more deep and water and mulch well Or plant the stick in some good moist well draining potting mix and mist and or water until leaves start to enlarge then you can plant them outside. When you see the leaves emerge from the buds the roots will grow right along with them.

Later in spring when the flowers emerge you can go back and find out if the Cottonwood you took cuttings from is a male or a female (if the tree is old enough to make flowers). If you don't want the 'cotton' don't plant a female.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

That's a pain though guys. I want to plant dozens of these things and they have to somewhat resemble a tree at planting time with some lateral branches. It can't be just a long whip.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

And bama hugger, yes that's sort of the way it is here in N. Ga. Except I do see them ocassionally in roadside ditches etc.
    Luckily our version of this is the tulip poplar which is a beautiful tree also with pretty much assured fall color, rapid growth, strong wood and leaves that flutter in the breeze also. The texture is pretty much the same.

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

They will normally start to branch within a year if you can wait.
    Here is the growth of a hybrid poplar which the cottonwood can grow just like this if given enough moisture and care.
    Growth of a hybrid poplar

alabamatreehugger The place I look for Giant cottonwoods are 3 things: creeks/streams/lakes, in the woods near railroad tracks, along and in the woods by U.S. Highways.
    So if you find a area that has a combination of those 3 things you have a good chance to find some cottonwood trees at least where I am especially if you look in the natural cottonwood range which is shown in the green area in the link below.
    Here is a map showing the natural range of the Eastern Cottonwood which is in green. The orange filled areas are areas that have has isolated reports of Cottonwood trees. And the circled red ares I outlined are a few places that have a better chance than other areas nearby because of many good seed germination locations (but remember the native green areas have a much better chance of having cottonwoods).
    {{gwi:411069}}

Cottonwood seeds need very moist areas near water such as creeks, streams, puddles, or lakes to germinate or they will dry up and die very quick, cottonwoods also need lots of sunlight because they are not shade tolerant.
    Again look for creeks/streams/lakes, in the woods near railroad tracks, along and in the woods by U.S. Highways. Use Google maps to find these locations near you:
    Google maps

• salicaceae
    16 years ago

There are quite a few around Tallahassee - along I-10.

Also, we have scattered large cottonwoods here in the Gainesville, FL area. These are either planted, or native along low swampy areas or creeks.

I can send you cuttings this winter if you like. I started some last winter and they have grown about 2 meters so far.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

When they propagate poplars for commercial plantations, they use much larger cuttings.

Take a branch 2m long, and 5cm think, trim a point on the bottom end, and trim off any side shoots; then ram the thing hard into the soil, so that ¾ of its length is in the soil, with just ¼ above ground. After one year, prune back to just the single straightest sprout.

Resin

16 years ago

Salicaceae, I'd love to try some cuttings. You can email me at escambiaguy@frontiernet.net . These would be great for quickly filling in voids were I cut down Tallow "popcorn" trees.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

The largest trees here in my town all easily reach the double-digests in DBH. Im going to take cuttings from the largest this winter. It lost a 3 foot diameter branch in the last (severe) ice storm, a minor one for that tree. I should have taken cuttings then when I could have reached the branches easily.

16 years ago

I did find one nursery that sells them.

• quercus_macrocarpa
    16 years ago

There are some massive specimens in city parks here in Chicago. And not a one fell victim to the recent storms, although quite a few black locusts were toppled.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

The trees that pop up around here grow to be about 10+ feet tall in the first year that I notice them. And since I never notice small seedlings around here that is probably their first year. So why would they only grow 24" the first year if vegetatively propagated?

• spruceman
    16 years ago

Quirkey:

Dunno--the last time I did any was about 4 years ago. I also did a some hybrid poplars, and they grew about 6 feet the first year. The cottonwoods grew about 24 inches, but this is a droughty area and I did not water them much. I also got the cutting from a roadside source, and I can't say I really know exactly what it was. A year or two before, I did a cutting from my "noreaster", a hybrid kind of cottonwood, and it did only 24 inches. But that was also on so-so soil and it did not have that much watering either.

I found a couple other cottonwoods this summer that I can get cuttings from. I will do what I can to make an exact identification--but I am not sure how to recognize some hybrids like the "noreaster," from the straight species, etc.

Anyway, what you may be seeing is trees that were growing before you noticed them, and sometimes if a young cottonwood is mowed down when it is little for a year or two, it will then sprout up really fast because the root system is established. Anyway, this is not "cottonwood country" around here, and I have never made any close observation of natural reproduction and the early growth of seedlings.

--Spruce

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"So why would they only grow 24" the first year if vegetatively propagated?"

They don't by my forestry method. Those will get 3 or 4 metres tall in the first year from a cutting.

Resin

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

I planted a Eastern Cottonwood cutting I took early this spring in a open area in the woods and it has grown from 1 inch when I planted it to about 5 feet now so far. It grows about 1 inch a day. It will probably reach 6 feet tall or more by the end of the year.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

If it grows an inch a day, would it be about 6' tall in 12 days or less? :-) How abot a pic of it? Any branches yet?

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

I forgot exactly how fast it was growing earlier, it actually grows a half a inch a day but now it is in a "drought dormancy" because I have not watered in a while so it is currently not growing, and it has also lost some bottom leaves and has formed a temporary bud to conserve water because of the drought. If I water it some more it should come out of it.
    You can see we have the worst drought in the U.S. here in the southeast which we have had since spring

And I over estimated its height, it is actually just over 4 feet tall. We have about 30 more days of growing season left before trees will start to go dormant for winter. So if I keep it watered it should reach over 5 feet by autumn. Eastern cottonwood trees have been known to grow 1.5 inches a day and maybe even 2 inches a day in superb conditions during the heat of the summer. They have been know to grow 16 feet in one year or one growing season. It has no branches yet but it should by next year. This cottonwood is a female and that's why I planted it in the woods where it will be great to view the yearly "snow" :) I'm planning on getting some cuttings of a old huge male cottonwood tree this spring to plant next to our yard in a tilled and mulched area 10 feet wide. It's going to be planted 40 feet out to give room for the huge burst of growth :-D so we can have a quick shade tree in 5 to 10 years in our barren yard plus many other tree types I'm going to plant in the yard from oaks to maples.

How it currently looks today:
    {{gwi:411078}}

Some of the leaves were huge, a couple of them were 12 inches long.
    {{gwi:411080}}

Temporary bud it has formed because of the drought:
    {{gwi:411082}}

• salicaceae
    16 years ago

For those of you that really like cottonwoods, you will love the following book:
    Cottonwood Tree: An American Champion by Kathleen Cain

I recently bought this book and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"If it grows an inch a day, would it be about 6' tall in 12 days or less?"

I deduce from that, there are 12 inches in six feet

Dare I say it, the foolishness of trying to use that silly Imperial System . . . ;-)

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

I think what quirkyquercus really meant was because I said it was 5 feet it would be 6 feet in 12 days if it grew 1 inch a day.
    Most people on here I believe are from the U.S. and I think you might have to get used to using the Imperial System sometimes at least for a pretty long time. ;oD
    Here you go pineresin for your calculation ease:
    1 centimetre = 0.393700787 inches
    1 inch = 2.54 centimetres
    12 inches = 1 foot
    1 foot = 0.3048 metres
    1 metre = 3.2808399 feet

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

That sounds like a very interesting book salicaceae.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

No resin, he said the tree was already 5'. Hence another 12" makes 6 feet.

Treeguy thanks for the pics. They are encouraging and you needn't convince me of their fast growth becase I know they are very much like magic bean stalks around here. In fact I saw a big one growing in a nursery parking lot and the nursery owner said the tree had only been there 3 years and it was really big.

The reason I'm making such a big deal out of the things needing to have branches and not just be whips is because I have a tendancy to plant trees in areas where they would be vulnerable to getting mowed over or vandalized.