SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brucebanyaihsta

Fast growing hybrid poplars shade trees for garden design

brucebanyaihsta
9 years ago

Some of you have heard about using extra fast growing hybrid poplars for almost instant shade for hosta garden design.

I have spoken on using them in new garden designs previously at garden clubs and the hosta college, having used them since 1982 in various gardens of my own and others who needed them for quick tree shade in 2-3 years.

I took down about 6 of these trees this Fall that were about 30 ft tall after 5-6 years; I have seen 5-8 ft yearly growth after a couple of years, depending on rainfall.

They are from Univ Of Wisconsin hybridizing efforts in the 1970's for biomass; no regular poplar/cottonwoody seeds, as they are sterile and have no surface roots only a tap root.

The only shortcoming is they mature after 10 years at 40-60 ft tall and start to die, due to their fast growth. I have seen a few still alive at 20 but mostly have toppled on their own.

I have some of the end growing tips which I will share if some one wants to use them for fast tree growth- you can go offline to contact me on shipping and planting/culture instructions.

These trees are so strong in growth from sticks (have cut from the upper branches and before they get dry they will start to grow and root out just laying on the ground) they are very easy to propagate.

Looking forward to 2015 - had an inch of rain and 50 degrees here today, so been outside a bit!

Bruce

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery