SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Sunday project (several photos)

bihai
17 years ago

My dear hubby is going to Washington tomorrow for a few days so I finally have a chance to have a little less daily responsibility and get a project started in my greenhouse that I have wanted to do for some time. I would like to have input from some of ya'll about which hoyas to use in this project...which might be most suitable. There may have to be a totem of some sort involved later on but for now I am starting on the ground.

I am going to use this cork slab (approximate measurements 12" x 30") laying on the ground under this large Anthurium plowmanii

{{gwi:946269}}

and I want to do a mass mounting with these lovely phalaenopsis orchids

{{gwi:946271}}

Around this, I plan to plant these nice no name reed stem epidendrums I have been holding on to for a while

{{gwi:946272}}and also plant in-ground this group of Neoregelia bromeliads that I have had basketed, it has some nice peach and pink tones that will complement the orchids

{{gwi:946273}}

and these very cool Billbergia "De Nada" bromeliads I have had forever

{{gwi:946274}}

For the Hoyas, what I want to do is to plant a few cuttings at different places around the slab and let them run over its surface. Depending on which ones I use, I may use a totem later (I have a vision of some sort of arching thing), or alternately, I could use the big trunks of some palm trees I drug home from the beach last week (once they have been leached of salt)

I was thinking of using a snippet of:

possibly this OBVATA

{{gwi:946275}}

Or, I could use some snips of this EXOTICA

{{gwi:946276}}

Or this whole little $3 starter plant of Krimson Queen

{{gwi:946277}}

I am also considering this Megalaster, it has some nice long aerial roots

{{gwi:946278}}

Other plants I have that I moght use are:

Tsangii

Variegated Kerrii

variegated Kenejiana (althogh this one is very new and I don't have a feel for its growth habit)

{{gwi:946279}}

Or I have a cutting of Imperialis (but have a feeling it might get too large)

{{gwi:946280}}

Which ones do you think might work best? I kinda have a vision of maybe one of the large growers climbing a totem with a cutting off of this variegated vanilla orchid

{{gwi:946281}}

I am only going to mount the orchids and plant the broms and stuff tomorrow, the hoyas I will do later after I decide which ones and if I am going to need the totem... so please help me out with suggestions!

Comments (4)

Sponsored