SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Really bummed....favorite established clump is dead

squirrellypete
11 years ago

I've lost my share of daylilies, usually a new addition that was planted at an ill-advised time. But this one is a bit of a shock today.

I got a fan of Caribbean Whipped Cream from a friend 3 years ago and it multiplied well into an established clump. This was its first "real" year blooming in my garden and it bloomed its head off. Foliage was healthy, no signs of trouble. It's in a daylily field in rows along with my other varieties and the two varieties on either side of it seem to be doing just fine. I set a few seed pods on it and got some babies to play with. Once I collected the final seed pods in my field weeks ago I haven't gone out to do much maintenance until today when I was weeding the rows. I noticed a sunken in spot where Caribbean Whipped Cream used to be.

I do not get it. 8 weeks ago this was a very healthy looking blooming established plant and now it looks like it just rotted away. We have not had any abnormal rain since the spring. Not drought but not tons of rain either. Has been rather nice as far as growing things. I do sometimes lose new or small fans to voles but they've never bothered a larger clump to the point of killing it.

I am VERY bummed about this one, out of my 200 or so varieties this was my absolute favorite after seeing it in all its glory this year. Anyone else ever lost a healthy established clump this fast? Or is CWC prone to problems like this that I don't know of?

Comments (10)