SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerafloridana

Purple flowers for MsMarion

jardinerafloridana
16 years ago

Marion,

I am so sorry that I did not post the pictures of the purple flowers for you before. These are the flowers I was telling you about. They really grow well and they will get tall if you don't prune them but will stay bush like if your do.

{{gwi:934730}}

Let me know if you like them

Susana

Comments (17)

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

They are Mexican Petunia and they are invasive. Before I sound critical, my daughter has them and likes them. Here's why, she's a busy mother of three boys who are in many activities. SHe's not a gardener, has no time or success. These are no maintenance for her, she has them in front of her house in an area surrounded by a cement walkway so she always has something blooming.

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Yeap, you're absolutely right about invasiveness. They have spread all along the edge of my brook. they are pretty though.

Felix

• manature
    16 years ago

Please, please folks...remember that not ALL of these ruellia are invasive. There is a sterile variety sold at Home Depot now (the ONLY one they sell here) that does NOT spread. It is sold under the Florida Friendly label, and I have had the exact same number of them in my garden for over three years now. Not one single new plant, from seed or runner. I wish more people would try them. They are just beautiful, prolific bloomers, and perfectly safe to grow in Florida. Just look for the label "Florida Friendly" and the word "sterile" on the pot.

Marcia

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

I think the flowers are lovely :)
    Olya

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Someone planted them before I bought the house and I have dug up many but they return. My father in Law BEGGED me for some to cover something in his yard and I tried to talk him out of it but he insisted .He was quite proud that they were doing JUST FINE(like I had any doubt)
    I have a huge property and I try to keep them in check but if your garden is prim and proper and you want your stuff to stay put this would not be it. The Bumbles do love them though.

• manature
    16 years ago

Again, if you want your garden to stay "prim and proper," this is a FINE choice, as long as you get the sterile ones, Florida Friendly. I have posted about this so many times, yet no one seems to believe me. *sniff* HONEST, you can have ALL the purple ruellia you want if you choose correctly, and they will NOT invade. REALLY. For sure.

Marcia

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

I believe you Marcia !

Actually , Steve tried the sterile ones at work years ago.He was very please with the results so we put them in at the house . I can`t tell you how many people come over ....eyes BUG out of their heads... tell me how invasive they are. I love them !

• manature
    16 years ago

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, D'Ann!!!! I'm so glad somebody knows I'm not delusional!! They are such a fantastic flower, and now that there you can get sterile ones, why not use them? They are drought tolerant, bloom non-stop all year, and bees and butterflies love them. I say plant MORE, not less, of them. Just choose wisely. Don't buy unlabeled ones or dig them from your friend's spreading bed full, and you are good to go.

Big Hugs to You, D'Ann!!!
    *goes off singing to self, "someone believes me, someone believes me!"*

Marcia

• manature
    16 years ago

That's great, jardinera! I'm glad you are as happy with them as I am.

I'm just wondering why so few people realize that they CAN have these gorgeous flowers without worrying about them taking over the state. It's such good news, you'd think everyone would be happy to hear it, but I just keep seeing more and more people saying don't plant them. I keep TRYING to get the word out, but it doesn't seem to be working.

For me, I say don't plant the wrong ones. Plant the Florida Friendly STERILE ones, and you will have purple showers forever, with no problems at all.

Glad you love yours!

Marcia

• buttterflyy
    16 years ago

I've had some Ruellia for 3 years... WAITING for just a tiny sign of 'invasive.' I used to joke that those were the only things that I could get to grow here. I did buy mine at HD, and they have spread to about double in size, but only where one fell over and took root a few feet from the original. Thanks for insisting we believe.. I love mine, too.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Yes Susana Yes I'd love some.
    Thanks so much
    See you Sunday!

• countrynest
    16 years ago

I still do not believe it.
    Felix

• manature
    16 years ago

Sheeesh, Felix...what's it take to make a believer outta ya? ;o) My plants are sterile. Period. They do not spread. Anywhere. Many, many plants have cultivars that are sterile. It's not so far-fetched, honest. But hey, if I can't convince you, I can't convince you. At least I've spread the word to others and they have seen for themselves. That's all I can do.

I'm still coming to see your stream, even if you think I'm delusional.

Marcia

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I believe! I Believe! Marcia ya made a believer outta me!
    I think Felix needs to host a swap cuz I'd love to see his stream too!

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Me too. I also think Felix should host a swap.

• manature
    16 years ago

Well, I reckon it's settled then!

When ya gonna do it??? We want to see your Country Nest! Are you coming to Kate's swap in October, by any chance?

Marcia