SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Some September blooms

celeste/NH
12 years ago

It's the dreaded end of the growing season and I really miss grabbing my camera first thing and going outside to take pictures. I've managed to find a few things to photograph but the nights are cold now so most things are starting to go into slumberland. I have to keep busy in my garden somehow so I keep moving plants around and just made a couple more raised beds. I found a rebloom scape on 'Passions Promise' but there's no way it has a chance.

Any night now we can have a frost so any blooms now are

on borrowed time.

Celeste

Last bloom on BERRY CHEESECAKE

Many more blooms on VEINS OF TRUTH...hope they all have

time to open

ZEUS, posing with a bloom of Cousin Suzanne

FAT CAT NEMO getting his nap on

LILY, on the prowl

few more blooms on TIFFANY

{{gwi:220036}}

Fragrant Plum

Heaven on Earth

{{gwi:237918}}

Octavia Hill

{{gwi:344205}}

chipmunk (they've been busy collecting acorns for the winter)

coneflowers

My husband snapped this photo of Zeus and I holding 'hands' while we slept (of course I did not know about it until I went to upload my photos!)...sneaky hubby

Comments (21)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So cute you and Zeus holding hands sleeping! The chipmonk is also cute. The roses are stunning as usual. Mine are blooming again now also and I remember looking at some yesterday and thinking how pretty they looked. But your doing better than I am at finding things to take pictures of, not much here. At least you have some daylilies to snap and the kitties always look pretty. Lily really does look like the mighty huntress in the picture you captured. Fat Cat Nemo is a hoot asleep again. I am thinking back and wondering if I ever saw a picture of him awake ha-ha. He does love his naps :-) ! BERRY CHEESECAKE looks great on it's last bloom. I wish they wouldn't end so soon.

• casey261
    12 years ago

BERRY CHEESECAKE sure looks nice. The photo of Zeus with the COUSIN SUZANNE bloom has different lightning and I don't know if that is what you were going for, but I really like the effect. It looks as if Zeus is glowing, particularly around his ears & paws. The pic of you holding hands is too cute.
    Casey

• Related Discussions

Some September 24th/25th pics

Q

Comments (7)
    I've really got to educate myself somehow on this "cutting back" thing. I've finally got my hardy mums figured out and I know about pinching coleus. But I know I didn't do it right with my zinnias and, evidently, there are a lot of plants that benefit from it. I have cut back some things that just died right away (bachelor buttons, zinnias, and cosmos this year). How can I learn which plant, how far, and when? Is there a good book or website you would recommend?
    ...See More

my September blooms

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm hoping my Limelight will not be found by the deer as it's in the same area as my roses which is inside the dog's fenced area. Hopefully her scent will deter them. However, it will be also fenced with it's own mesh so I can heavily mulch it. LL, lucky me, I have deer as well as Bruin! The bee balm was from one of the Canadian big box stores (Real Canadian Wholesale Club) and in a little 4" pot. Their plants were quite good this year and not very expensive. All the plants I got there have grown well. I'm letting the agastache self-seed so I hope to get lots of babies even if the plants don't survive. I've seen mixed zones for this plant, when I bought it the tag said zone 3 but I've seen zone 5 online. It's in an area that gets good snow cover so that may help.
    ...See More

Some of my September blooms

Q

Comments (5)
    All of those are still blooming and I have some more that just started to bloom or they're forming inflos and buds. The weather here is starting to go crazy again so we'll have to see who can finish their bloom before I put them away for the "winter". Loretta to me has a strong sweet scent that's very attractive. It's mixed in with all my other plumies, but it will draw your nose to it every time you get near it. The Pu'u Kahea doesn't have much of a discernable scent. And my NOID has a black licorice possibly cinnamon scent. Normally I hate black licorice and cinnamon, but there's someting about this one that I quite like. ~Jen
    ...See More

Some September Blooms

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks all.. its nice to finally get some blooms. Thanks Seil.. GD is one of my favorites and my first rose that got me hooked. I love the fragrance and the voluminous blooms.
    ...See More
  • Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Hey girl, Love the cheesecake and the kitties but Octavia is simply gorgeous. I wish I had ordered that one. Isn't it an Austin? I ordered me some more roses after I said I wasn't going to but plan on shovel pruning some to make room for some that do better. Gorgeous pics and it is sad to see it all come to an end. I was looking at my pics from this past summer and soooo miss all the pretty blooms. grrrr...... Judy

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Nice grouping again. I so enjoy seeing your rose pics along with the daylilies and of course the kitty pics are too funny.
    I don't expect frost here for another month but then, you never know with mother nature.

Julia

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

Your pic of FAT CAT NEMO made me smile. Now that's what I call a smart cat! Your photos are lovely. Thanks for sharing.
    Kathy

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

Looking at all your photos and especially of your rose, Heaven On Earth. says to me that you do indeed have a heaven on earth right in your yard. Love the kitty pics, they are always so cute. Know you are sad that your growing season is coming to an end. The good news is that in several more months, you will be busy, busy busy in the garden again. Avedon

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

So gorgeous! It's always a treat looking at your pics :)
    Do you know which Echinacea that is, because it's a great pink!
    I really like Lily- even if she's prowling, she's still so fluffy and pretty! :)

• Nancy
    12 years ago

It is such a treat to still see some daylilies blooming. I have 3 or 4 in bloom, I should take a few pictures. I'm surprised to see such late blooms here. Love your kitties, & I really like the last photo of you & Zeus holding hands! The roses are so beautiful, I'm just green with envy. Good picture of the chipmunk, cute critters, although I understand they can cause some damage. Kinda funny, we have a chipmunk that lives with our dog. We have a golden retriever than loves to crawl under the loose floorboards of our kids old play house. She is so, uh, plump, she often gets stuck. The chipmunk lives under there. Not sure if the dog even knows, but she wouldn't care anyway :) DH was clearing out some overgrown shrubs & spotted the chipmunk one day.

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Awesome photos, of course I'm partial to the kitty photos but you sure have some beautiful roses.
    Linda

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

You must have fairy foorsteps in the garden Celeste. You are able to get the sneaky pics as if you are invisable! I love your roses! For many years my sister told me that my song was The Rose and I have always been a fan of true rose fragrance. Not had much luck yet in growing them and perhaps I will some day soon. In the meantime, plaease keep posting so I can enjoy your garden with you and every one else. Again, a beautiful reflection of the artist. :)

• phaltyme21
    12 years ago

Celeste, your picturew are great. You are doing well at
    finding different subjects to photograph.

Too bad that the season is ending but can all enjoy the
    pics we've spent the summer snapping.

Kay (phal)

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

well. thr comment I put last night isn't here, so, I will just write another one. I love the kitty pictures, but the flowers are gorgeous, too.BERRY CHEESECAKE IS A BEAUTY, SO PRETTY.fAT CAT nemo just hasn't got a care in the world.its always nap time for him.Lily cAN go hunting, but hes going to get his nap/.i LOVW THE ROSES.I had FRagrant plum but something dug a tunnel to it and ate all the roots off it, and I lost it.Octavia hIll is very pretty.,
    I have one that resembled it called BONITA.The deer xame the other night and ate every bud and bloom off it,, was Lucky as it didnt eat the leaves off the bush.the chopmonk is cute little fella. i never see them here, just squirrels.ZEUS is so pretty posing for his picture.The last picture is very nice too.I like thatlast one slso,He just a gorgeous cat.

jean

Here is a link that might be useful: gardeb web

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THANKS for the comments! Rita, it's true...there aren't many photos of Fat Cat when he's awake. There's only one thing he likes more than sleeping and that is EATING...haha.
    Casey, that glow you talk about is probably Zeus's fur...it has a special glow to it that I can't always capture in photos. It's kind of a silver sheen against the blue-gray fur.
    Judy, Octavia Hill is by Harkness but it does look like an
    Austin. LOL about ordering more roses. I was that way for years until I had over 300. I have shovel-pruned a few this summer but this time it was to make room for more daylilies...my newest addiction.
    Julia, the frost thing is so unpredictable. Most years we have our 1st here in late Sept. but I have had some earlier and some years not until early October.
    Kathy, Fat Cat makes me smile too...he always looks like he's enjoying life to the fullest. No worries, just chillin'...LOL
    Avedon, thank you! I do feel like I have created my own little Shangri-La here. I spend almost all my time at home because I take care of Mom and my grandbaby so I wanted to make it enjoyable to stay home all the time.
    Here in my climate I won't be gardening again until May, since we still have cold & snow in April most years. It seems way too long for me!
    CTC, the coneflower is 'Primadonna Deep Rose'. They are very sturdy and large flowers, more so than my other echinaceas. The color is very bright and deep pink and I love it.
    Nancy, that's funny about your dog and the chipmunk bunking together. At least she won't eat the chipmunk. My cats get me so angry sometimes when they kill the chipmunks then leave them on my doorstep. I know it's nature's way, but I think the chippies are so cute and I try to save them from the clutches of the cats.
    Linda, Fat Cat says he wants to see some more pics of Little Boy. Does Little Boy sleep alot like his brother?
    Haha.
    honalee, I do walk softly so I can get candid shots
    but most things around here are used to me so they pay me no mind. Even the frogs, butterflies and chipmunks are tame in my yard!
    I'm glad you like the rose shots. The daylilies are pretty much done, but there are still plenty of roses blooming so I will post some more soon before the frost gets them.
    Kay, thanks. It's a challenge to come up with subject material this late but fortunately there are still roses and the ever-present kitties.
    Jean, so sorry about losing your rose. I have had the same thing happen here. Sometimes I go out and find an entire rosebush laying on its side where something burrowed underneath the roots and chopped it down and it is toast. I have lost several roses that way and it's heartbreaking. The deer are a big problem here since I am surrounded by acres of woods. We use three deer deterrants
    that are motion-sensors and shoot water when the deer approach. You hook them up to your garden hose and turn them on at night. Doesn't hurt the deer but it scares them away. I used to have so much damage from the deer until I got them and now the deer stay away. I posted that picture of ZEUS just for you since you were asking about him!

Take care everybody!

Celeste

• mizellie
    12 years ago

Celeste, I think you take remarkably interesting photo's. The wild life ( chimpmonk) and the tamed kitties. My favorite is " Lily" on the prowl..
    Did you ever try staking and covering the scape? I really haven't tried it with daylilies but I do that sometimes with tomato plants. if it works for them, it just might work for the daylily. Of course, uncovering is essential...Ellie

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Celeste,Can you explaIn to me how thst water sensor works to scare the deer awa Y? Maybe I could find that and use it too.I spray everything with a very stinky stuff snd it works, until it sprinkles and wash it off the leaves.We got s littlr shower tonight thst didnt amount to nothing, but washed the stuff off the plants and the deer will probably come munch on them before daylight again.

Jean

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Little Boy says Hey to his brother. He was really busy today potting up some plants haha.

Linda and Little boy

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda,
    That photo made my day! Too bad we can't get our 'boys' together for a family portrait. Seems they would both be in that pose....they like to show off their ample tummies it seems. Haha. Little Boy is so cute and sure does look like Fat Cat. Fat Cat likes to 'help' me too....if you call laying right on top of everything 'helping'. LOL

Celeste

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean,
    The deer deterrants are devices that you hook up to your waterhose and turn them on. When it senses a deer or other
    animal approaching it shoots jets of water as it spins around (it also makes a loud sound which also
    frightens the deer). It has a motion sensor inside it, which will 'see' the deer in front of it and the noise plus the water spraying is very frightening to deer. I put mine on at nightfall and turn it off in the morning, since the deer have only come at night but you can leave it on all the time if you choose. It shoots the water
    several feet in a circular motion.
    My husband owns a hardware store so we got ours at cost
    since we needed 3 of them to cover the large area of gardens we have. (We actually need more, because I have an acre but the deer haven't bothered the gardens closest to
    the house).
    These are available online from Amazon.com....
    Ours is the Havahart Spray Away Motion Detector Sprinkler
    Animal Repellent....costs between $40 and $50 but lasts
    forever. There is also another one called Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinker by Contech.
    They have worked wonders for me....prior to using these,
    the deer helped themselves to my lilies and roses (even hostas) and it was heartbreaking. This is totally humane
    for the deer and it can be used to deter other animals as well. (And pesky door-to-door salesmen...haha). If you
    forget to turn it off, you will get a big surprise. I have more than once gotten soaking wet...LOL

Ellie, I might try to cover up the scape like you suggested...thanks. We have had milder temps the last couple of days and lots of rain and the scape is growing
    faster all of a sudden, so maybe it has a chance with a
    little help.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Celeste, your phots are gorgeous! I especially enjoyed the roses. I have a question for you in regard to a rose.

I liked the look of the bloom, and wanted to see how a moss rose would do here, so I bought and planted Quatre Saisions Blanc (hopefully spelled right) and got a comment that it would not do well here, and why on earth did I plant it.

It has grown beautifully and is as large or larger than the teas I planted at the same time. (Mrs. B. R Cant) Do you suppose it is just getting my hopes up, or might it do well here after all? I know you are an expert rose grower (yours are beautiful), so I wanted to ask your opinion.
    kay

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Thank you, Celeste for the info on the sprinkler.we have a hardware store here thst has thing thet no one else would ever have, so I will inquire there to see what they have and cost,.Funny,I have never heaard of this before. The rain washed all my stinky stuff all the plants last night, but,i lucked out and the deer didn't come have dinner with my plantsif this thing has a sensor on it,I g uess it points in one direction and if deer csme up from behind it, it wouldn't work on themaTHANK YOU FOR THE INFO.

jean

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kay,
    I do indeed know about the rose you speak, if you are talking about 'Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseux' which is a white Moss rose. I grow it myself. I don't know what state you live in but I do know this rose grows in the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden in California and I know of some folks who grow it in Texas. It doesn't appear to need the cold winters that so many of the old European once-bloomers need, although it does grow superbly here.
    It has been found growing in old settlements all over Australia and New Zealand, as well as Italy, and in France, where it originated. I would say it must be quite happy
    in your yard by the sounds of it! Good for you! Has yours ever reverted back to 'Autumn Damask' (which is pink)? Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseux is the mossy sport of Quatre Saisons, which is also called 'Autumn Damask' which is a pink damask rose
    and very fragrant. It is peculiar to see the pink and white blooms on the same bush! The pink blooms do not bear any mossing, though, which makes it all the more puzzling. It's kind of like getting 2 roses in one! LOL

Jean, I hope you are successful in finding it at your local hardware store. Even if they don't keep them in stock they should be able to order one for you. You are correct in that the sensor will only detect the deer when they are facing the sensor. We aim ours towards the woods where they come out of. If you don't know what direction they are coming from that could be problematic.
    That's one of the reasons we have 3 of them. We placed them in different directions to make sure there is one
    to cover all areas. I tried all those stinky liquids for repelling deer and they only worked (minimally at that) if I kept re-applying it every few days or after it rained.
    Plus it stunk up the yard something awful and my neighbors made comments. Good luck!

Celeste

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus