SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Looky, looky looky . . . what I got :)

maidinmontana
14 years ago

I am so excited. I went to a high end flower/plant shop here in town. I rarely stop there b/c it's so expensive and in a part of town I rarely go to. But, something told me to stop in today as I was driving by. So I did. I spotted this gem as soon as I walked in the door. Of coarse I didn't have any cash on me so I had to run home (clear accross town mind you) but I didn't mind, after seeing this. And, it was only $15.99. Which I think is a decent price, considering this place gaurantees their plants for 1 year.

They also had a kerrii reverse veragated which was really nice, but they wanted $36.00 for it. I still may go get it, I'm just not in love with the veragated hoyas for some reason. But I'm having hoya pains, so it'll probably end up at my home . . . lol.

heres the whole plant,

{{gwi:934542}}

a close up of the beautiful leaves. . .

{{gwi:934543}}

another of the leaves. . .

and more the prettiest leaf. . . and it's huge

thanks for looking. . . .

maid~

Comments (11)

• Denise
    14 years ago

Hi Debi, and congrats on getting that clone of obovata. I've grown the plain green (and much more succulent) form of obovata for many year and finally got this super-splotched form myself a year or so ago. I love it!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Congrats Debi, what a steal!! It looks like a nice and healthy one too. Probably won't be too long before that one blooms for you!

BTW, I thought I was in time travel,lol...when I saw the date on your picture, I thought I either lost a couple of months or I slept through the rest of winter :o)...wishful thinking...just kidding around.

But seriously, that's a Beautiful hoya...Enjoy and lots of luck!

• Denise
    14 years ago

Pug - goes to show how observent I am! All I see is a plant!

Debi - guess you need to reset the date on your camera!

Denise in Omaha

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Maid...that is a beautiful plant and from the looks of it at a reasonable price too....jealous and wiping the drool from the corner of mouth.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Debi, great find!!! I love mine with bunch of splashes.
    Pug, good job catching the date.:)

Jan

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm, not quite sure how the date got messed up, it's a new cmaera so maybe I didn't set it right???? I wish it was April 20th, I am soooo sick of snow and winter. Thanks for pointing that out to me Pug, and Denice dont' feel bad, after I posted the pics I looked at the date stamp and thought "oh, I guess I didn't have to date the folder in my Photobucket account, it already has the date on the pic. . ." no joke. . . lol

So, Denise and Jan, would you say the care is pretty much the same as the plain green obovata which I have? BTW, that cutting Denise, is growing good. The first set of leaves had me a little concerned, they aren't the *prettiest* new leaves I've ever seen. Brown and blotchy looking.

What are your thoughts on the Kerrii reverse? Too much money? They grow a lot slower than the plain green one, right?

Thanks everyone,
    Maid~

• Denise
    14 years ago

Debi,

I'm growing my splashy one the same as my plain green one. I don't know what it is about obovata, but I do have weird or distorted leaves that come in now and then. I let them grow until they're mature - sometimes they end up looking kind of cool, but if I don't like the look of them, I remove them.

Did the reverse variegate kerrii have really striking variegation? Was it being grown in really high light in a GH? I got mine and it's variegation was nice, but as soon as I started growing it in my GH, which gets good sun but not as much as a big, unobstructed one, the variegation can barely be seen. When I put it outside in the summer, the new growth comes in nicely variegated, but as soon as I bring it in for the fall, it fades to only a slightly lighter green on a dark green. I plan on selling mine this spring because I'd rather fill that spot with something else since I already have 4 other kinds of kerrii and this one just doesn't look enough different to warrant keeping it. Maybe someone down south will want to grow it where it will get enough sun to stay looking variegated.

Denise in Omaha

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Denise, that's what I was kinda thinkin with the variegated kerrii, I just don't have a fondness for them, kinda like KP, something about variegated leaves, have never been my cup of tea. So, I will probably leave it for someone that realy appreciates them. It did have very nice variegation tho, very consistent through out the plant, as well as a good contrast. The white edges were very attractive. . . but $36.00 is a lot of money for a ho hum plant. . . and if they're slow growers and have a tendency to loose their variegation, well that's even more reason not to buy.

I chatted with the lady that works at the plant store yesterday. Seems that store gets quite a few hoyas in. She mentioned the hoya *rep* that comes in on occassion, so maybe I'll get lucky and stumble on some other nice, and not so common hoyas.

I wouldn't say the obovata you gave me has deformed leaves. They just look weird when they're new. Once they mature, they look a lot better. It has 5 new leaves on it right now and if one didn't know better, they would think it was dying a slow death. . . I really like the plant tho.

Maid~

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

What a fantastic find, your Hoya sensing skills are growing strong. LOL

Mike

• Denise
    14 years ago

Oh, now wait Debi! If the variegation was on the leaf edges, that's not the reverse variegate but the regular variegate. That's the good one. Slow grower, yes, but the variegation is consistent and gorgeous. If it's a nice sized plant, I'd buy it in a hearbeat. The reverse variegate is the one with the cream in the center.

Denise im Omaha

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Denise, for clearing that up for me. I, for some reason, thought it was the opposite, variegation on the outter leaves was the reverse.

So, with what you're saying the plant should maintain the pattern it has now? Maybe I'll go check it out again, honestly I haven't stopped thinking about it. . . we'll see???

Thanks, maid~

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor